MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ashtabula Info???

I am going to apply for the City of Ashtabula firefighter positon, does any one got any info on requirements or testing? any info will help thanks!

Matt
    240/emt

MembersZone Subscriber

i think you need your medic. the strange thing is that they tested last year. i dont know why they would be testing again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah i just picked up the ap. Looks like you just need your 240. Written is on Dec. 16th, do you have any info on the dept? (is it busy?)

matt
    240/emt

MembersZone Subscriber

ems is prob. pretty standard, i dont think they see a whole lot of fire.

Forum Member

Ashtabula City FD provides First Responder details and firefighting response for Ashtabula City. EMS is provided by Community Care EMS (Private contractor).

AFD is somewhat busy. They run a 6 man shift (Capt, Lt, & 4 FFs). Engine 1 gets 1 officer & 2 FFs, Ladder 1 gets the same.

Fire call gets Engine 1 & Ladder 1.

EMS First Responder gets Engine 1.

If it's a working fire, they call dispatch (currently Ashtabula Twp FD, but, will be Saybrook Twp FD after 1-1-07) to 'fill out the first alarm' which will bring in an additional 1-2 engines and the chief, asst chief, etc....

I live within walking distance of Station 1 (currently the only station they use). Station 2 (in the harbor) is up for sale, They currently house the county haz-mat truck there. Maybe the county will purchase it for the County Haz-Mat/Water Rescue Team vehicles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Currently we are at 1585 calls for the year with 62 structure fires. We run first responder on medical calls for Community Care who provides EMS. Our last test was in 2004. We are currently two people short so this will be a good list to be on. Good Luck to everyone.

Forum Member

Question

Does anybody know how many people dished out the $50.00 and actually showed up for the written? Seems like they could have recruited a bigger pool of applicants had they not required a months salary to fill out an application. Just curious.

Forum Member

Saybrook Twp FD started dispatching for Ashtabula City FD I believe on Friday, the 29th. At least, that was the first time I heard Engine 1 call 'Fire Alarm' which is Saybrook Twp FD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    Does anybody know how many people dished out the $50.00 and actually showed up for the written? Seems like they could have recruited a bigger pool of applicants had they not required a months salary to fill out an application. Just curious.
    There were 39 people that were smart enough to show up for the test. We are currently two guys short and have four with 4 years in drop. I'd say that months pay was well invested.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I took the test, just waiting for results . What does 4 year in drop mean?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mteresczuk7 View Post
    I took the test, just waiting for results . What does 4 year in drop mean?
    Basically, 4 years in the drop means they already have 29 years on the job and could be leaving at any time.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 01-03-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gcannon View Post
    There were 39 people that were smart enough to show up for the test. We are currently two guys short and have four with 4 years in drop. I'd say that months pay was well invested.
    Not a good investment for the 33 people that don't get hired. I could see $20-$25, but $50 is unreal. I understand it costs big bucks to put on a test, but if the city needs firefighters they should front the cost.

MembersZone Subscriber

so you don't think that a lottery ticket with a better than one in 39 chance of hitting is a bad investment?

You sound like someone that just doesn't have it figured out pal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gcannon View Post
    so you don't think that a lottery ticket with a better than one in 39 chance of hitting is a bad investment?

You sound like someone that just doesn't have it figured out pal.
    I'm not really one for gambling, and certainly would never purchase a 50 dollar lottery ticket.

Bottom line is the city of Ashtabula is taking advantage of their firefighter applicants because the job is in such high demand. They can charge $50 because they know people will pay it. That doesn't make it right though.

Contract negotiations must be rough if the city is that hard up for money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 50 bucks

you only make 50 bucks a month? you should be looking for a new line of work then. mcdonalds pays like 8 bucks an hour. I think the reason for the 50 dollar fee is because the costs of the testing has gone up and the city doesn't want to lose money to give the test. in reality if you where to add up all of the money it costs a city to do all of the testing to hire new firefighters it will end up costing around 5 to 6 thousand dollars plus 3 thousand in equipment you are issued and that is before you can even work your first shift. so in my honest opinion 50 bucks isn't too much to ask. it also might ensure that people aren't just taking it to see how they do and not be serious about taking the job and remaining with the department. but on the plus side, volunteer departments are always looking for people.

Forum Member

Smile

gcannon why are you getting so bent out of shape. the guy just asked a question. maybe you should take that test. you are probably not even a fireman. my dad is a chief and he says it is too much for the test. my father also knows a ashtabula fireman and he says there is know way that they have 62 structure fires a year. you must be out of your mind!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FutureChief69 View Post
    gcannon why are you getting so bent out of shape. the guy just asked a question. maybe you should take that test. you are probably not even a fireman. my dad is a chief and he says it is too much for the test. my father also knows a ashtabula fireman and he says there is know way that they have 62 structure fires a year. you must be out of your mind!
    Why are you getting bent out of shape about something that doesn't concern you. Just because he said they had 62 structures for the year doesn't mean they completely burnt 62 structures. We have a lot of small fires that are listed as structures and no one really heres about because its just not that big of a deal, but it was still a structure fire. Thats how its listed for NIMS!
    Is your dad a volunteer chief?

While I do think the test fee is a little high, GCannon is right, there is a lot of cost involved, especially for the small/med departments who do most of the testing process themselves. I forget what each test costs, but I was thinking it was around 10-20 bucks a test. Depending on where they do their training (we go to Reynoldsburg) that alone can cost 5 grand or so. Also there are many people who will take tests just to take them for experience for that one dream job test.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Forum Member

As I stated before, I realize that the cost of putting on a test is substantial. I'm sure the department would like to hire experienced, well qualified individuals for the open positions.

That being said, I guarantee there were many experienced, well qualified firefighters that chose not to apply soley because the cost of the test was outrageous.

I don't understand why anyone would defend such a high fee. The fee does not benefit the department. The way it stands, the city will be lucky to have an eligibility list with more than 25 names (following written, agiility, and backgrounds). I wouldn't want to be put into a position to hire 6 "good" candidates from a list of only 25.

What the city doesn't understand is that if they cut their fee in half, they'd more than double the turnout and everybody wins.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 01-08-2007 at 06:19 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You are not the City

We agree that a list of 25 is not good for the City, but it is great for the 25 candidates you numbskull! Are you the one who showed up here with 2 others from Uniontown and forgot your money? I thought so. And yes, I do work here, I came from the suburbs of Cleveland and believe me there's alot more going on here.

Forum Member

I've been following the discussion regarding the cost of entrance testing with great interest.

While it is true that the $50 fee may be higher than most, the question is how much is too much? Most other department's entrance tests are in the 30-35 range, so the incremental difference here is 15-20 dollars. Perhaps more than some candidates can afford, but why should the city subsidize the cost of entrance testing?

Do not forget the entrance test is a PROCESS, not just a written exam. The test must undergo two protest periods, be reviewed by the department and the Civil Service Commission, then a physical agility exam must be administered.

As a custodian of tax funds, how do we explain to our residents that we are using their money to finance other people's job search?

Frankly, I'm surprised that other departments have not raised their fee's as well.

As for the other discussions about call volume, numbers of fires etc, this information is available publicly via several sources to those who are informed enough to know where to look.

Respectfully,

Ron Pristera
    Ashtabula Fire Department

Forum Member

Well said.

I know when I was testing throughout the state I would of had no problem paying 50 bucks. Then on top of that only to have 30 some people show up, but the icing on the cake is no EMS transports!! Come on I would have paid a 100 bucks for a shot at that job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most other cities are charging $15-$35 for an approx. 1 in 100 shot at getting a job, wheras AFD is charging $50 for an approx 1 in 5 shot at getting a job. So lets make a few hypothetical scenarios here for fun:

Example # 1

Wannabe Fireman # 1 is a 240 firefighter and Basic EMT. He has spent approx. $750 for his 240 and arounf $1000 for his basic emt. He then goes and spends $50 to take AFD's exam and gets hired. His total investemtn for an excellent job in an active and respectable FD is around $1800 bucks.

Example # 2

Wannabe Fireman # 2 is a 240 hour firefighter and Paramedic. He has spent approx. $750 for his 240 and nearl $4000 for his paramedic. He then spends $25 to take Aurora's exam, $25 to take Rocky Rivers exam, $5 to take North Royalton's exam, $25 to take Strongsville's exam, $30 take Berea's exam, $25 to take Mentor's exam, takes Youngstown's free exam, and Beachwood's $25 exam. He may or may not get hired, as most of theese departments are only hiring one or two if any, and average 200 candidates per exam. Wannabe #2 is now nearly $5000 into this, and still has no rock solid chance at getting a job.

On top of all of this, it is no mystery that many firemedics in NEO prefer not to ride the ambo (personally, I do.). AFD is one of the last places in the area where there is no ambo, and does not require a medic card to test. So next time you go condeming a department on the internet, think a little. IMO, if you are truly concerned about the fee then you should call the chief and get the facts.

Cheers,

Ben Bindokas

Forum Member

Smile

No condemnation here. Just simply stated that I think $50 is too much. BTW...has AFD hired anyone yet? They were hiring 2 right away, correct?
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 03-09-2007 at 11:28 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    No condemnation here. Just simply stated that I think $50 is too much. BTW...has AFD hired anyone yet? They were hiring 2 right away, correct?
    *Disclaimer* I have no first hand knowledge of AFD, but I work in a bordering township and have some friends in the process, so I hear things.

To my knowledge, they have not hired anyone yet. The written is done, the physical is done, and some have been called for interviews.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Just out of curiosity, does the name "Ron Pristera" ring a bell for some of you guys?
    Last edited by Steamer; 03-11-2007 at 03:36 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information