Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pro-Tech 8

I bought these gloves about 3 months ago. They have been in 4 fires and I love them. The top of your hand around wrist is the only area that I felt any heat. We just finished the Ohio 240 class and 80% of the guys had them and loved them

Quote Originally Posted by bacfire View Post
    After posting glowing reviews on the Pro-techs, I'm sad to say that I have to retract my praise. I noticed today that the leather along one palm and little finger had split and peeled away from the underlying nomex. Even worse, there doesn't appear to be any nomex under the finger tips. The leather on one fingertip burned/cracked away and exposed the moisture barrier beneath.

The weakness seems to be that the leather on the palms and fingers is paper-thin. After only a handful of fires (and I used them only for firefighting and some overhaul, switching to utility gloves for hose-rolling, etc.), my $55 gloves are worthless. They sure were nice while they lasted, though...
    Considering your previous post(which I'm glad your ok) do you think your old gloves could handle the abuse you put your new gloves through? How well do you think these gloves would be for rit operations like change overs or what not?BE SAFE!

Forum Member

Bacfire:

I would be happy to take a look at them. Please ship them back to:
    Illinois Fire Store*243 E. Main*Amboy, IL 61310.

I will check them out when they arrive and forward them to Tech Trade.

Thank you and stay safe!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be ordering a pair from IFS tomorrow. Can't wait to use them.

Forum Member

RareRamAir:

Thank you in advance!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Considering your previous post(which I'm glad your ok) do you think your old gloves could handle the abuse you put your new gloves through? How well do you think these gloves would be for rit operations like change overs or what not?BE SAFE!
    They were put to the test that day, but I inspected them closely afterwards and couldn't see any sign of damage. I had about two more working fires on them after that incident, took a couple shifts off, then was inspecting my gear prior to going back on duty when I noticed the damage. I never felt excess or unusual heat through the gloves at any time.

My uneducated analysis is that the leather dried and hardened a bit, cracked and separated along the stitching, then began to burn where it was further exposed. As I said, the leather is very thin.

To answer your question, yes I do think my old gloves could take it. I've worn a pair of low-end American Firewears (which I actually hate) for over three years and while I've not had any roofs fall on me with them, they've seen far more abuse than the Pro-Techs. The AFs look like h*ll, but they are still servicable.

I still think the Pro-techs are a fine design. The leather portions just need to be thicker. Maybe better yet, go with Kevlar palms and fingers kinda like the Chibas.

They were put to the test that day, but I inspected them closely afterwards and couldn't see any sign of damage. I had about two more working fires on them after that incident, took a couple shifts off, then was inspecting my gear prior to going back on duty when I noticed the damage. I never felt excess or unusual heat through the gloves at any time.

To answer your question, yes I do think my old gloves could take it. I've worn a pair of low-end American Firewears (which I actually hate) for over three years and while I've not had any roofs fall on me with them, they've seen far more abuse than the Pro-Techs. The AFs look like h*ll, but they are still servicable.

I still think the Pro-techs are a fine design. The leather portions just need to be thicker. Maybe better yet, go with Kevlar palms and fingers kinda like the Chibas.
    All that matters is that you made it all ok. And we'll always have our trusty back ups!! BE SAFE

Forum Member

Can the short cuff version of these be used on coats without the "wristlets" in the cuff? My department issued me a pair of XL Long cuffs, but they are a little too big and they bunch up on my coat cuffs. I think a Short Cuff in Large would do the trick.

-Nick

Has anybody used a pair of these?
    http://www.mutualaidsupplies.com/pro...57411540.shtml
    I have a pair on order, but with the fire volume we have seen since I joined my new Dept, (ZERO) I cant realy report on how well they will hold up
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

I have a pair of the ProTech long cuffs with velcro straps. After wearing them at one fire I cut the straps off, and so did the other guys who have them. So far they seem to be holding up just fine, I even punched out a window and didn't rip them.
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

Forum Member

I've been using a pair of these for a few months now, and I like them. The dexterity is much better than typical "fire" gloves. They are lighter and seem to be pretty durable so far. There is still one thing I don't like. After working with them and taking your hands out, it is still hard to get your hands back in. The liner wants to turn inside out when you take your hands out, same as most other gloves I've used. I would still definitely recommend them though.

Forum Member

First good job in them yesterday. Was first due OV 2nd floor Tenement, went in the window from the fire escape and did a quick search then in the misdt of things ended up putting my hand into the seat of a burning chair :-) So now I have burned stuff all over the gloves. Ill take pics if someone tells me how to post them.

Forum Member

Ive had a pair of the first Pro-tech gloves for a little over a year now and i love them. They've been used quite a bit from out messing around pumping, to reloading hose, to 4 actual structure fires and 6 live burns. I noticed on the pinky on one hand and then 3rd finger on the other hand have some rips where the first layer has torn back. I didnt notice it on our last burn they felt just fine but i will try to get some pictures to post. Im actually looking at getting some TITANS any input on those yet?
    Ride together, Die together, Brotherhood forever

Forum Member

Here is a picture of where my gloves have ripped, not sure what happened but they ripped.
    Photobucket
    Ride together, Die together, Brotherhood forever

I know this topic has been talked about at great length, and with much debate. I have worn the Pro-techs, and will say they are good gloves, but they are not durable.
    I much prefer these gloves made by Southcombe Brothers.

They have as much dexterity and comfort as the Pro-Techs, yet are significantly more durable.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you're wasting your money with Pro-Tech, you just may be spending more of it with replacement pairs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I know this topic has been talked about at great length, and with much debate. I have worn the Pro-techs, and will say they are good gloves, but they are not durable.
    I much prefer these gloves made by Southcombe Brothers.

They have as much dexterity and comfort as the Pro-Techs, yet are significantly more durable.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you're wasting your money with Pro-Tech, you just may be spending more of it with replacement pairs.
    the southcombes are awesome. We stopped by the TECHTRADE booth at the baltimore fire expo and they are testing an all Kangaroo leather PRO-TECH 8
    that will be released sometime this year that is supposed to be comparable to the southcombes but cheaper

MembersZone Subscriber

After posting glowing reviews on the Pro-techs, I'm sad to say that I have to retract my praise. I noticed today that the leather along one palm and little finger had split and peeled away from the underlying nomex. Even worse, there doesn't appear to be any nomex under the finger tips. The leather on one fingertip burned/cracked away and exposed the moisture barrier beneath.

The weakness seems to be that the leather on the palms and fingers is paper-thin. After only a handful of fires (and I used them only for firefighting and some overhaul, switching to utility gloves for hose-rolling, etc.), my $55 gloves are worthless. They sure were nice while they lasted, though...
    Same thing here, the palms and fingertips began to fail after about 2 months of use. I upgraded to the pro-tec 8 titans, they are said to be more durable.

Are we all talking about the Titans or the originals? Has anyone tried the titans yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Are we all talking about the Titans or the originals? Has anyone tried the titans yet?

Just recieved mine (Titans) last week so I only have one "structure fire" use out of them. So far, so good. Dexterity was fantastic. Donning and Doffing while wet was no problem. They fit a little snug, but next size up would be too large. The snug fit may be a plus, but won't know until I have more use out of them. So far, they beat all the other structural gloves that I have used. Time will tell if they hold up.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    My original post was on the ols style, I have the Titans but haven't really tested them out yet.

Thread Information