Forum Member

Default ProTech 8 Structure/Extrication gloves

Anybody currently using these. Sales rep had a pair with him the other day and a few of us tried these things on. They are just like extrication gloves but NFPA certified for structural use. They are priced at around $50.

Forum Member

if you do a search there are already a few threads on them..but yeah i use them and they're great IMO

MembersZone Subscriber

Bought a pair after seeing them down in Baltimore...Pretty good gloves...Used them on 2 fires and they worked pretty well. Couple of the guys at my firehouse went a bought them too and they love em...
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

EngineerEMTP:

Check out the Fireground Tactics Section, there is a thread regarding structural fire gloves and these gloves are discussed by several people. I have a pair and so far I really like the dexterity and how lightweight they are.

Winter has officially begun here in Illinois (we received 15" on Friday), so I am curious to see how they perform in winter ops, but I should have some feedback shortly.

Good luck and if you need more info, refer to www.techtradellc.com or www.IllinoisFireStore.com.

Stay safe!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. It will be interesting to see how bearable they will be in the colder weather.

Forum Member

I bought mine yesterday, cruised into Mid-Town to get them. They are amazingly light and the dexterity is WOW! Its hard to believe that Ive been using the fire commander gloves for so long, these are really awesome.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Got mine a couple weeks ago. They're great, so far. I was/am worried about the durability of the fabric parts, but I've fought three structure fires and a car fire in them with no damage. They were put to the test Tuesday night when my partner and I were briefly trapped by a third floor collapse and I had to pull several burning rafters out by hand, then crawl under the rest of them. I felt no more heat than with any all-leather glove and the Pro-Techs still look good.

My favorite thing about them is the quick drying time. Gotta hate wet soggy gloves on a cold night.

Forum Member

I love mine! I've had 'em a month or so and they've seen several fires.

Best gloves I've ever had.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacfire
    Got mine a couple weeks ago. They're great, so far. I was/am worried about the durability of the fabric parts, but I've fought three structure fires and a car fire in them with no damage. They were put to the test Tuesday night when my partner and I were briefly trapped by a third floor collapse and I had to pull several burning rafters out by hand, then crawl under the rest of them. I felt no more heat than with any all-leather glove and the Pro-Techs still look good.

My favorite thing about them is the quick drying time. Gotta hate wet soggy gloves on a cold night.

Glad to hear that they performed and youre OK!

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2
    Glad to hear that they performed and youre OK!

Stay Safe

Thanks. That's the first time I've ever really considered myself in immediate peril. Don't care to do it on a regular basis, but it's nice to have a good war story for FF survival classes

Forum Member

I just got a pair of the ProTech 8 gloves, but I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. I still have the trusty old leather gloves on the glovekeeper... old habits die hard, I guess.

What I liked about the Protech 8's is the fact that they come in various sizes and, pardon the pun, "fit like a glove"!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Shrinkage/Sizing

I tried on a buddy's pair and they fit VERY nicely. I like my gloves snug. My fingertips were right to the ends of the glove, but not cramped. I thought my buddy had told me this brand tends to run a little small, though I could be mistaken. My hand size is normally awkwardly between a medium and large. So I bought a size Large. These definitely don't fit quite as snug -- about 1cm of space off the end of my middle finger.

Do any of you know if these gloves will shrink that 1cm over time (with wetness/heat, etc) ? Or should I trade them in for a Medium pair?

Thanks so much

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtffcheese
    I tried on a buddy's pair and they fit VERY nicely. I like my gloves snug. My fingertips were right to the ends of the glove, but not cramped. I thought my buddy had told me this brand tends to run a little small, though I could be mistaken. My hand size is normally awkwardly between a medium and large. So I bought a size Large. These definitely don't fit quite as snug -- about 1cm of space off the end of my middle finger.

Do any of you know if these gloves will shrink that 1cm over time (with wetness/heat, etc) ? Or should I trade them in for a Medium pair?

Thanks so much
    Don't be talking "shrinkage"!

I deal with that problem enough already!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default Follow-up

Quote Originally Posted by emtffcheese View Post

Thanks so much
    OK, "NO SHRINKAGE"

At least that's what TechTrade (makers of Pro-Tech 8 Gloves) told me. The gloves won't shrink. Long story short, I now have the medium gloves and they fit perfectly: fingertips right up to the ends of the glove but not cramped.

Moral of the story:
    If any of your fingers have ~1cm gap from your fingertip to the fingertip of the glove, then go to the next size down.

MembersZone Subscriber

I used mine for the first time on a real fire this weekend and loved them. No issues with protection and it was great having the extra dexterity. I still need to see how they hold up over time though. I'll also be curious how they do during winter when they get wet.

Hook & Can

Thumbs up

I've now used mine at several training burns, and they're holding up well.

The only issue (or difference...if you want to call it that) compared to traditional gloves, is that the ProTechs seem to "swell" a bit when they get wet. It does not affect dexterity any, and I've only really noticed it when taking them off and putting them on when wet.

There's also some quicker wearing of stress areas/seams on the outer fabric layer compared to the leather gloves...but I expected that.

All in all...I'm just waiting for the holidays to come to see if I get another pair as back-ups...or if I need to buy my own 2nd pair.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a pair. They are nice for extrication or rolling hose but they give no protection for cold weather, hands get cold very easily.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Bad News

After posting glowing reviews on the Pro-techs, I'm sad to say that I have to retract my praise. I noticed today that the leather along one palm and little finger had split and peeled away from the underlying nomex. Even worse, there doesn't appear to be any nomex under the finger tips. The leather on one fingertip burned/cracked away and exposed the moisture barrier beneath.

The weakness seems to be that the leather on the palms and fingers is paper-thin. After only a handful of fires (and I used them only for firefighting and some overhaul, switching to utility gloves for hose-rolling, etc.), my $55 gloves are worthless. They sure were nice while they lasted, though...

Forum Member

Bacfire:

Thank you for the honest reporting. I will be contacting Tech Trade on Wednesday letting them know your complaints. As I stated in a different thread, my only worry with these lightweight, thin gloves would be the durability. I am curious to hear about others with the same issue. Hopefully, Tech Trade will be responsive to our needs and work to further develop this product into a more durable glove.

I have only had mine in service for over a month and they haven't seen much action, but they don't appear to be having any problems.

Thank you and have a good holiday!

rfd599

MembersZone Subscriber

Would pics of the damage help? Or I can send the glove back to you if you'd like. I liked the gloves enough that I'd probably buy another pair if the leather portions were as thick as normal glove leather.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pro-Tech 8

I bought these gloves about 3 months ago. They have been in 4 fires and I love them. The top of your hand around wrist is the only area that I felt any heat. We just finished the Ohio 240 class and 80% of the guys had them and loved them

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bacfire View Post
    After posting glowing reviews on the Pro-techs, I'm sad to say that I have to retract my praise. I noticed today that the leather along one palm and little finger had split and peeled away from the underlying nomex. Even worse, there doesn't appear to be any nomex under the finger tips. The leather on one fingertip burned/cracked away and exposed the moisture barrier beneath.

The weakness seems to be that the leather on the palms and fingers is paper-thin. After only a handful of fires (and I used them only for firefighting and some overhaul, switching to utility gloves for hose-rolling, etc.), my $55 gloves are worthless. They sure were nice while they lasted, though...
    Considering your previous post(which I'm glad your ok) do you think your old gloves could handle the abuse you put your new gloves through? How well do you think these gloves would be for rit operations like change overs or what not?BE SAFE!

Forum Member

Bacfire:

I would be happy to take a look at them. Please ship them back to:
    Illinois Fire Store*243 E. Main*Amboy, IL 61310.

I will check them out when they arrive and forward them to Tech Trade.

Thank you and stay safe!

rfd599

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be ordering a pair from IFS tomorrow. Can't wait to use them.

Forum Member

RareRamAir:

Thank you in advance!

rfd599

Thread Information