Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: My or my family personal experance a need for EMS services lead me to become FF/EMT

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • personal experance

9 16.07%
  • close family member experance

8 14.29%
  • other family member expernce

1 1.79%
  • TV or other media influance

5 8.93%
  • never need the services of EMS system

8 14.29%
  • witnessed emergency where no one could give aid

2 3.57%
  • other

35 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

1. Age ? --24
    2. Length in the service? --just started, haven't even been to a fire yet
    3. Why I volunteer? -- I've always wanted to be a firefighter, every since I was a kid. I finally decided I would do it.
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? -- I have always had a yerning(sp?) to help people.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1  81526&dateline=1193075762

MembersZone Subscriber

Default why

age - 48

time in service - 2 months

why I volunteer - Service to the community, like helping people, love the thrill of running out into the night on a call, love fighting fire.

need it fills in me - need to help people and to feel like I am using my life for something good. I feel very alive as a firefighter / first responder.

Our pastor at church said that a lot of people could say on their deathbed: "I was born, I consumed, and I died." I don't want that to be me...I want to be a good servant.

1. Age ? --18
    2. Length in the service? --3yrs, 2-1/2 as an exploder and 6 mo as a FF/EMT.
    3. Why I volunteer? -- I stumbled across firefighting because a friend in class asked me to come check out the exploder post at the dept. because they needed members. I joined immediately and have been lovin it ever since,
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? -- I like being able to make a difference no matter how small. Because at the end of the day you feel like youve actually accomplished something worthwhile. And one reason is because it is just fun to drive down the road in a big red truck making noise.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

1. Age 22

2. Years of service 1

3. Why: I have always wanted to since I was very young. I have no family in the fire service and have never needed to call for help. Maybe seeing the neighbors house on fire when I was young has made me want to do it.

4. It allows me to help others. Makes me feel like I am doing something very important with my life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Lol

QUOTE: And one reason is because it is just fun to drive down the road in a big red truck making noise.

Res1cueffd, you said it all right there.

XNA1590
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile Why I volunteer

1. Age 29

2. Length in the service 13 years (3 years as a junior memeber)

3. Why I volunteer To help others in there time of need, and i grew up in a vollie house so its a PRIDE thing (upstate NY, Big Indian to be exact).

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me I have always felt the need to help others in thier time of need it makes me feel good to be able to give back to the community in which I live.

MembersZone Subscriber ckresmer's Avatar

1. Age ? 29
    2. Length in the service? 12
    3. Why I volunteer? to help people, adrenoline, brotherhood
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? a hobby that i love to do
    if there's no firetrucks in heaven, i aint going

p.s.

anyone that tells you they aren't hooked on the adreneline in addition to other reasons is lying

Quote Originally Posted by ckresmer View Post
    p.s.

anyone that tells you they aren't hooked on the adreneline in addition to other reasons is lying
    Ain't that the truth. My first time out was just the other night. Talk about a rush.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1  81526&dateline=1193075762

Quote Originally Posted by justme0203 View Post
    I am attending college to obtain a degree in Physiology. I need to do a research paper and plan to do it on why people volunteer to be firefighter and/or EMTs. And compare them to the studies of why people fail to act in an emergency.

1. Age ?
    2. Length in the service?
    3. Why I volunteer?
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me?

Thank you for the help. This paper s due in 5 weeks I take accelerated course work.
    Just past the questions in your reply.

1. Age ? 32
    2. Length in the service? 14 years
    3. Why I volunteer? I am a volunteer because I love helping others
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? It fills my need for excitment is
    the only thing I can think of. I was born and raised in the fire
    service. My father is a retired Fire Chief who had 30 yrs as a
    FF. I am a EMT-B since 1995. I just love being a FF.

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    Ain't that the truth. My first time out was just the other night. Talk about a rush.
    Aint that the truth. My first call, after I peeled myself off the ceiling because the pager was right next to my bed, my heart was racing a mile a minute.Crazy Rush
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Aint that the truth. My first call, after I peeled myself off the ceiling because the pager was right next to my bed, my heart was racing a mile a minute.Crazy Rush
    lmao, i think i remember that far back

Quote Originally Posted by ckresmer View Post
    3. Why I volunteer? to help people, adrenoline, brotherhood
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? a hobby that i love to do
    I've been thinking and i just want to elaborate some.

i started volunteering 12 years ago at 17 with a junior program. I wanted to since i was 12years old. A friend of our family was an emt and I spent a lot of time with her, it just really got my interest.

i think most of us start out because we want to help people, give something to the community, to make something of a difference. After we start volunteering those reasons hold true but you can add adreneline and brotherhood to the reasons we stay.

I don't volunteer to be appreciated (you don't last long if that is what you want cause we don't get that much) although the appreciate we get is treasured.

I don't volunteer to be a "hero", when your covered in muck from head to toe, when you see a child die, when you smell burned flesh, you don't feel like a hero. to me a hero is the civilian that stops to help, that doesn't have any reason to.

I once had a paid ff (from a big city) say to me that he loved what he did but he couldn't see not getting paid to do it. dispite all the reasons we down of why, they still don't exactly explain it and i'm not sure how to either. I just love it and even when i've been a paid emt, i still volunteer. I hope this helps with your paper, if i'm not too late

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post

I traded in my Motorola Minitor 3 for a minitor 4. What a difference in volume! I used to have to crank my old one to wake up to a page. Now with the 4, I have the volume turned down so it's just above the shut off.

I don't know if anyone can relate here, but I find that it's actually not the tone of the pager that wakes me up when I'm sleeping...it's the sound it makes as the speaker comes on...just before the tone...it's like a little 'pop' sound.

This sound is so effective at waking me up that I tend to almost convulse out of bed....this is due to my body already moving to get out of bed before my mind can comprehend what's going on. This potentially leads to damaged walls or sore limbs/head.

NJ
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Length of service: 14 years.

Why?: It's a vocation... Yeah I don't get paid, but that's not a problem. Don't mind helping out the community cause I see them in their worst possible hour and do not judge. I'm there to help them and on occasion I get a thank you but it does make me feel good knowing that I helped somebody.

On a strange side note: My parents and my sister have been in building fires, and luckily they managed to get out before things really got bad. Now they look at me and wonder why I go into a burning building when they run out.

Forum Member

-35 years old
    -11 years as Firefighter
    - Other than a desire to help someone I would have to say the Mental and Physical challenge
    - As if family, career etc..etc isn't enough...all of that aside, when I think solely about myself and nothing else, Firefighting gives me a sense of purpose and a focal point for self improvement. It has made me a better, more complete person.
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

Forum Member

going into my second year as a firefighter/emt. however, i grew up in the firehouse. So much so, that my college english teacher gave me the funniest look when we had to write a descriptive essay on our favorite smell, and i picked the smell of the truck bay at my station, from when i was little. apparenly, you aren't supposed to like the smell of diesel, that slightly musty smell, and the rusty smell of metal, mixed with the occasional pipe or cigarette, and smoke.

Why is something I've always had trouble answering. Like some people say, it's a calling. I just feel... i don't know... incomplete NOT doing it. It's something I need to do, or I feel like I'm missing out on part of my own life.

As for what I get out of it, aside from the regualr stuff, like a sense of pride, accomplishment, and all of that, i get some selfish things too. I got a group of people, who I can literally say I can trust with my life, no questions asked. I have people that can relate to my bad days, because they've been there. I've got new friends, who i can go out with. Guys who in high school and stuff, wouldn't have talked to me, but now, I'm more one of them, than they're whole clique ever could have dreamed to be. I've met people young and old, who automatically see me as a sort of equal, and not just a kid, who knows nothing, and has a smart mouth or something. And also, I get respect for earning it. I'm not respected because of my name, or a degree, or anything like that. I'm respected because I show up, and do the job as best I can, and make sure I, and everyone I'm with, get's home okay. That's more than most people will ever know. Not to mention it's kind of cool, knowing every kid in the world wants to be like me when they grow up, LOL! It's a shame more of them don't try for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CdnFD24 View Post
    I don't know if anyone can relate here, but I find that it's actually not the tone of the pager that wakes me up when I'm sleeping...it's the sound it makes as the speaker comes on...just before the tone...it's like a little 'pop' sound.

yep, that pop is the mic keying, it gets my body moving and then the tones wake my brain up.

Forum Member

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about....I'm usually up BEFORE the call comes in....Spidey sense!!
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

Quote Originally Posted by CdnFD24 View Post
    NJ
    Yep I can definately relate. But it still scares the s**t outta me sometimes too when I'm in a dead sleep
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information