View Poll Results: My or my family personal experance a need for EMS services lead me to become FF/EMT

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • personal experance

9 16.07%
  • close family member experance

8 14.29%
  • other family member expernce

1 1.79%
  • TV or other media influance

5 8.93%
  • never need the services of EMS system

8 14.29%
  • witnessed emergency where no one could give aid

2 3.57%
  • other

35 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    Ain't that the truth. My first time out was just the other night. Talk about a rush.
    Aint that the truth. My first call, after I peeled myself off the ceiling because the pager was right next to my bed, my heart was racing a mile a minute.Crazy Rush
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Aint that the truth. My first call, after I peeled myself off the ceiling because the pager was right next to my bed, my heart was racing a mile a minute.Crazy Rush
    lmao, i think i remember that far back
    if there's no firetrucks in heaven, i aint going

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ckresmer View Post
    3. Why I volunteer? to help people, adrenoline, brotherhood
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? a hobby that i love to do
    I've been thinking and i just want to elaborate some.

i started volunteering 12 years ago at 17 with a junior program. I wanted to since i was 12years old. A friend of our family was an emt and I spent a lot of time with her, it just really got my interest.

i think most of us start out because we want to help people, give something to the community, to make something of a difference. After we start volunteering those reasons hold true but you can add adreneline and brotherhood to the reasons we stay.

I don't volunteer to be appreciated (you don't last long if that is what you want cause we don't get that much) although the appreciate we get is treasured.

I don't volunteer to be a "hero", when your covered in muck from head to toe, when you see a child die, when you smell burned flesh, you don't feel like a hero. to me a hero is the civilian that stops to help, that doesn't have any reason to.

I once had a paid ff (from a big city) say to me that he loved what he did but he couldn't see not getting paid to do it. dispite all the reasons we down of why, they still don't exactly explain it and i'm not sure how to either. I just love it and even when i've been a paid emt, i still volunteer. I hope this helps with your paper, if i'm not too late

Forum Member

I traded in my Motorola Minitor 3 for a minitor 4. What a difference in volume! I used to have to crank my old one to wake up to a page. Now with the 4, I have the volume turned down so it's just above the shut off.

I don't know if anyone can relate here, but I find that it's actually not the tone of the pager that wakes me up when I'm sleeping...it's the sound it makes as the speaker comes on...just before the tone...it's like a little 'pop' sound.

This sound is so effective at waking me up that I tend to almost convulse out of bed....this is due to my body already moving to get out of bed before my mind can comprehend what's going on. This potentially leads to damaged walls or sore limbs/head.

NJ
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Length of service: 14 years.

Why?: It's a vocation... Yeah I don't get paid, but that's not a problem. Don't mind helping out the community cause I see them in their worst possible hour and do not judge. I'm there to help them and on occasion I get a thank you but it does make me feel good knowing that I helped somebody.

On a strange side note: My parents and my sister have been in building fires, and luckily they managed to get out before things really got bad. Now they look at me and wonder why I go into a burning building when they run out.

Forum Member

-35 years old
    -11 years as Firefighter
    - Other than a desire to help someone I would have to say the Mental and Physical challenge
    - As if family, career etc..etc isn't enough...all of that aside, when I think solely about myself and nothing else, Firefighting gives me a sense of purpose and a focal point for self improvement. It has made me a better, more complete person.
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

Forum Member

going into my second year as a firefighter/emt. however, i grew up in the firehouse. So much so, that my college english teacher gave me the funniest look when we had to write a descriptive essay on our favorite smell, and i picked the smell of the truck bay at my station, from when i was little. apparenly, you aren't supposed to like the smell of diesel, that slightly musty smell, and the rusty smell of metal, mixed with the occasional pipe or cigarette, and smoke.

Why is something I've always had trouble answering. Like some people say, it's a calling. I just feel... i don't know... incomplete NOT doing it. It's something I need to do, or I feel like I'm missing out on part of my own life.

As for what I get out of it, aside from the regualr stuff, like a sense of pride, accomplishment, and all of that, i get some selfish things too. I got a group of people, who I can literally say I can trust with my life, no questions asked. I have people that can relate to my bad days, because they've been there. I've got new friends, who i can go out with. Guys who in high school and stuff, wouldn't have talked to me, but now, I'm more one of them, than they're whole clique ever could have dreamed to be. I've met people young and old, who automatically see me as a sort of equal, and not just a kid, who knows nothing, and has a smart mouth or something. And also, I get respect for earning it. I'm not respected because of my name, or a degree, or anything like that. I'm respected because I show up, and do the job as best I can, and make sure I, and everyone I'm with, get's home okay. That's more than most people will ever know. Not to mention it's kind of cool, knowing every kid in the world wants to be like me when they grow up, LOL! It's a shame more of them don't try for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CdnFD24 View Post
    I don't know if anyone can relate here, but I find that it's actually not the tone of the pager that wakes me up when I'm sleeping...it's the sound it makes as the speaker comes on...just before the tone...it's like a little 'pop' sound.

yep, that pop is the mic keying, it gets my body moving and then the tones wake my brain up.

Forum Member

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about....I'm usually up BEFORE the call comes in....Spidey sense!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CdnFD24 View Post
    NJ
    Yep I can definately relate. But it still scares the s**t outta me sometimes too when I'm in a dead sleep
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Wink

First call - shoot, everytime that pager goes off!!! Gotta love flying out of the house (thankful you remembered to dress), get to the station and have to ask where the call is!

Forum Member

lightsandsound, you have the sense. I've been told I have it to. Most of the time, I'm up a good three or four minutes before the tones wondering why I can't get back to sleep. Then I know, when tones drop, and I'm like, well, i bet I'm ready before anyone else. Good thing to, I live the farthest from the primary station, and am lucky to make the second out rig on a nice working anything.

Forum Member

Yeah Jerry I've got the curse pretty bad.....my name is actually ****-magnet!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default smells

[QUOTE=jerry4184;752937]22

we had to write a descriptive essay on our favorite smell, and i picked the smell of the truck bay at my station, from when i was little. apparenly, you aren't supposed to like the smell of diesel, that slightly musty smell, and the rusty smell of metal, mixed with the occasional pipe or cigarette, and smoke.

Jerry - so great that you mentioned that smell....I am only on for 3 months but just the other day when I walked in the truck bay, I thought, boy I love that smell, and you described it so perfectly.

You all may laugh...but after my first live burn, for days I kept burying my nose in my turnout coat, smelling the smoke and remembering what a thrill it was to put out that fire. The smell gradually faded away and I was sorry to see it go. :-)
    Last edited by enginegirl1; 01-01-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: quote

Forum Member

1. Age ? 48

2. Length in the service? 2 years

3. Why I volunteer? Story- In May of 1996, one evening at 10:30 my neighbor banged on the door and told me there were flames coming from the roof of our house. I grabbed a 2Lb ABC and knocked down most of the flames, then yelled for the kids to get dressed and outside on the lawn. I picked up the phone, dialed 911 and reported the fire, then grabbed our 2 dogs and put them in my truck (so that they would not be in the way).

As I was putting the dogs in the truck, the chief of our vollie FD pulled up to the house, it had to be 2 minutes I would say from making the 911 call. Shortly after that the first truck pulled up and men went into the attic with charged hoses and a water can. I was expecting to see the roof go up in flames as there was lots of activity and a total of 8 trucks from 4 vollie fire compnies on scene.

After a while, things settled down and I found that the damage was very limited, thanks to the volunteers that left home and hearth at my call. They were totally professional.

I had always wanted to be a volunteer fire fighter and this incident made me feel like a "schlunk" for not being one but it wasn't until we moved out of state 8 years later that I joined the fire service. The fire service isn't for everyone, but for me it is an activity that satisfies my need for a technical outside activity that helps people in their time of need. The fire service has it's own built-in rewards.

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? Sometimes, there is very little you can do for the person who calls for assistance. Even so, people who are loosing their prized posessions or are experiencing a loss seem to appreciate the fact that there are those who are willing to drop everything to help. Being a part of the solution is very rewarding to me. I like learning the skills necessary to function as a fire fighter and intend to be the best that I can be.

Forum Member

1. Age 44
    2. Length in the service? 9 months as vol, 9 years navy
    3. Why I volunteer? Inner need to help others.
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? Gratification of being useful and knowing I may have made a difference.

Forum Member

1. Age 24
    2. Length in the service? 7 years
    3. Why I volunteer? Inner need to help others and serve my community.
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? Brotherhood and my desire to help.

Forum Member

1. Age ?
    2. Length in the service?
    3. Why I volunteer?
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me?

1. 30
    2. 12 years as a senior, 3 years as an acknowledged junior, and 7 years as the cheifs brat (son).
    3. my story isnt as dramatic as some. My father and some friends started a fd in the little town i grew up in in 1985 i used to hang out with them whenever i was able. the day i realized i wanted to be a ff was when i was 9 or 10 and i went to a fully involved structure with my dad and i sat in the truck (not by choice a safety issue) and watched the whole thing, even the family standing there watching their home and all their memories burning down. i decided then i wanted to help as many people avert that tragedy as possible.
    4. i had to take some time off the fd to go to college and i remember feeling a void that just couldnt be filled. after college i went back and corny as it sounds i felt fulfilled. i think it is being able to help people in need, the brotherhood when you are just hanging out at the station, and we all know this is true getting to "play" with big usually expensive toys and lots of FIRE.
    Sorry for the drawn out story but i hope it helps,

Forum Member

Talking Thank you All

I wish to thank all who answered the questions for the paper I was working on. The finial score was 99. Many weeks of work paid off big, but not without your kindness. Be careful out there and a big thanks you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by justme0203 View Post
    I am attending college to obtain a degree in Physiology. I need to do a research paper and plan to do it on why people volunteer to be firefighter and/or EMTs. And compare them to the studies of why people fail to act in an emergency.

1. Age ?
    3. Why I volunteer?

Thank you for the help. This paper s due in 5 weeks I take accelerated course work.
    Just past the questions in your reply.
    1. 32
    2. 4 years
    3. Adrenaline Rush Initially.......then the realization that if I don't who will
    4. Need to belong....be part of the community....no greater good than self sacrifice

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish to thank all who answered the questions for the paper I was working on. The finial score was 99. Many weeks of work paid off big, but not without your kindness. Be careful out there and a big thanks you.
    congrats and your welcome. helping is what we do best.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Volunteer

1 = 38
    2 = About 1 Year / 3 Months
    3 = It gets me out of the home and gives me something to do.
    4 = It provides me with a sence of serving the community and self gratification. It provides me with the oportunity to meet other people who live in my own neighborhood.

Forum Member

1. Age 48
    2. 5 years Volunteer, Background in ARFF
    3. Somebody needs to do it?

4. What need(s) I like running around CODE 3 in my POV.

Volunteer Fire Chief, First Responder

Forum Member

I am attending college to obtain a degree in Physiology. I need to do a research paper and plan to do it on why people volunteer to be firefighter and/or EMTs. And compare them to the studies of why people fail to act in an emergency.

1. Age ?
    3. Why I volunteer?

Thank you for the help. This paper s due in 5 weeks I take accelerated course work.
    Just past the questions in your reply.
    1. 16 (jr. ff)
    2. on dept. for 1 1/2 yrs. around service since born
    3. give back to the community
    4. it makes me feel good knowing that i am doing something good with my spare time instead of sitting on my @$$ playing video games or watching tv

good luck w/ your paper

Forum Member

Default Why?

1. 52
    2. 32 yrs
    3. To serve my community
    4. Part of life when I get to do my thing as part of a team.
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Thread Information