View Poll Results: My or my family personal experance a need for EMS services lead me to become FF/EMT

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • personal experance

9 16.07%
  • close family member experance

8 14.29%
  • other family member expernce

1 1.79%
  • TV or other media influance

5 8.93%
  • never need the services of EMS system

8 14.29%
  • witnessed emergency where no one could give aid

2 3.57%
  • other

35 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Forum Member

Exclamation Why do you Volunteer

I am attending college to obtain a degree in Physiology. I need to do a research paper and plan to do it on why people volunteer to be firefighter and/or EMTs. And compare them to the studies of why people fail to act in an emergency.

1. Age ?
    2. Length in the service?
    3. Why I volunteer?
    4. What need(s) I think it fills in me?

Thank you for the help. This paper s due in 5 weeks I take accelerated course work.
    Just past the questions in your reply.

Forum Member

1. Age ... 56 (on most days )

2. Length of service ... 37 years

3. Why I volunteer ... family tradition.

4. What need I think it fills in me ... for my life to be more then the average schmuck on the street.
    Last edited by Driver76; 12-03-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

1. Age ? 48

2. Length in the service? as a volunteer 28 years

3. Why I volunteer? Following in my father's footsteps. I love the fire service and it is my way of helping my friends and neighbors.

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? A step outside of the sit on the sidelines and complain type of citizenship that is common in today's society. It is my way to make a difference in my little village.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

1. age: 25
    2.years of service: 2
    3.why: the drive to help others
    4.need: know that i might make my community just a little bit better

Forum Member

thank you for help.

Forum Member

19+
    Would have loved to have done this Ft .......just didnt get around to it for a couple of reasons.

Cant do it all the time so I have strived to be the best I can be for my community.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Thankyou all again for the help

Forum Member

Jim Hawryliw, Fire Chief
    Fairfield Hose Co.
    www.fairfieldfiredept.8m.com

1. Age - 26

2. Length in the service - 13 years (stared as a junior firefighter)

3. Why I volunteer - That is a good question..... hmmm maybe it is the endless lack of sleep, or the problem of finishing a great meal that your spouse has been slaving over the stove for hours, or maybe it is standing outside for hours after hours at a ems / fire / rescue call and knowing that you will not be getting a pay check anytime soon, or maybe it is the warm feeling you feel inside when you do a good job and somebody gives you a "Thank You". For me it is family tradtion. My great grandfather, my grandfather, my father, my mother, my brother, my sister, my aunts and uncles, and just about everybody else i know have volunteered. Its kinda in my blood!!!

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me - The need to help people no matter what the problem is. Meaning on holidays, summertime, or whatever they hand to us.

Forum Member

Age-now 41

Length of service 2 1/2 years-I had to leave my department for family reasons but intend on returning next year,maybe January or February.

Why?-At the time,I thought it was paid on call and figured it would be a stop gap until I found full time work.When I handed the application in,I was told about the only money being a gas stipend but figured I was in too far already to back out,not that I do anyway.
    As I learned more about the how and why we do the things on a fireground,I found that I do enjoy knowing more than what is reported on the news,even if I cannot discuss it outside of the station.I like having people to count on and knowing that they count on me as well,which is a big motivator.

What needs are fulfilled:having something to do besides sit around,learning new things,being part of something that adds to my community.I don't think it's hokey,corny or out of date to want to help people.It's one way of doing so in a much needed way.

Forum Member

1. Age 22

2. Length in the service? Year and a half

3. Why I volunteer? Helping others, being a part of a team, and eventually going for that paid status

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? That need to fight fire..

Forum Member

1. Age ? 23

2. Length in the service? EMS - 6 Fire - 5

3. Why I volunteer? Well, at the time, I wanted something to do between school and bedtime so I didn't have to be at home. But I loved it and continue to do it today.

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? Though it is not always the case, the satisfaction I get in helping others. There is no better feeling than the one you get when you get a thank you card or letter.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Forum Member

Talking

1. Age ? 23

2. Length in the service? EMS 3 Fire - 5

3. Why I volunteer? Why do I sleep, eat and breathe? It feels like this is something I've always done. I don't have a specific reason why. I just do what I do and I love what I do. It's a part of my life.

4. What need(s) I think it fills in me? I volunteer selflessley (sp?) Although I do have a sense of pride and passion for what I do. I don't feel that my service fills any needs I have. I'm always helping others when I have an opportunity to.

NJ
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Talking thank you for thoses who respond

This is really helping. If you know anyone else let them know also answer the poll. It is a question that I forgot to add to the orginal post.

Forum Member

Age - 45
    Length of Service - Firefighter - 29 years (started as a Jr. FF at age 16, officially); Haz Mat Tech - 4 years
    Why? - Third generation Vollie. Father, Maternal Grandfather and several uncles and cousins were FF's. Until I got to the central high school, I thought any one that wasn't a FF was weird.
    What need I think it fulfills - Protecting the community I live in from some very bad things in a constantly changing field, so I have to try to keep up to date with my training.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by justme0203
    I am attending college to obtain a degree in Physiology. I need to do a research paper and plan to do it on why people volunteer to be firefighter and/or EMTs. And compare them to the studies of why people fail to act in an emergency.

1. Age ?
    3. Why I volunteer?

Thank you for the help. This paper s due in 5 weeks I take accelerated course work.
    1. 22
    2. 4 years certified Firefighter/ 6 years explorer status
    3. Being called upon in people's time of need, when time is of the essence. Facing the beast eye to eye and defeating it. The look on someones face when you hand them their prized possesions recently saved from the fire. Not to mention the Brotherhood. NOTHING COMPARES.
    4. Not sure what needs it fills in me. I don't think I could do anything else. All my skills/abilities (no matter how few there may be) are in Firefighting/ems. Carrying on the family tradition is important too me as well. (3rd generation)

Forum Member

1. Age ?
    3. Why I volunteer?

1. 36
    2. 14 yrs
    3. To protect my community
    4. The need to feel like I am making a difference.

Forum Member

1. 36
    2. 1
    3. Grab your tissues. When I told the guys this story when I interviewed there wasn't a dry eye among them.

Three years ago we used alcohol lamps for our Halloween pumpkins instead of candles because the candles wouldn't stay lit. After Halloween I put the lamps in a desk drawer and forgot about them. About 2 weeks later I was doing laundry and as soon as I turned around from loading the dryer my then two year old daughter had the lamp in her mouth like a bottle sucking down the fluid. I knocked it out of her hand, but she had drank about 1/2 of the bottle. I called poison control and they told me to hang up and call 911. By the time I called she was already having problems breathing and staying conscious. FD got there first and the people I remember is my platoon Captain and my mentoring firefighter. They and the EMS company, HVA, were ever so gentle but professional; took her and got her packaged up. My wife rode with HVA and I followed in my truck.

They took her to the nearest hospital, St. Joe's, and after an hour they deemed her critical and sent her to the University of Michigan Children's Hospital. We spent the next 4 days in the Pediatric ICU plus a few months of follow up visits. According to the doctors she would be ok, but they said any delay in initial care would have been detrimental. Without the FD my daughter may have died.

Fast forward two years. I was reading the local paper and saw the 1/4 page ad for firefighters. I remembered what happened and thought this was my chance to repay the kindness and help that was given to our family. I thought about it and when the ad came back out the following week. God said to me "You need to do this." So I sent an email with the above story and got a call within a few hours from the Chief. I talked for 2 hours that night and he told me to come by for the interview a few days later. I did so and told the same story as above and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. I got a call from the Chief within 3 hours to come down and get geared up.

At the Christmas party we each have a turn to speak about the previous year and since this was my first I brought up why I was there and with tears rolling down my face I thanked each of them for being there when I needed them and now I was there to help them when they need me.

4. See #3. I am glad I am on the department. I've made a few mistakes but I'm learning. I graduated FF1 and 2 this past June and I'll be taking MFR shortly. I want to help others they way I was helped. I had that chance last month when I ran on a little girl, 7, the same age as my older daughter and I saw the fear in her eyes and her mothers eyes. When we started to help her the Police Chief had a little bear and gave it to her and we took care of her and the bear. I doubt anyone could have had the strength to pull that bear from that little girl. And, as before, with gentle voice, compassion and professionalism another person's daughter is home from the hospital having the chance to grow up.

Michael Perry, author of Population: 485 and a volunteer firefighter, said it best on Into The Fire on THC. He was talking about numerous runs to an older couple near the end of the show and he said "I think of my job as a firefighter as a credit account. I'm here to help others, because one day I'll be the old man and when I look up at them with wide eyes. I'll be grateful when the pager went off that my neighbors come to help me." That one scene puts it into perspective for me.

Sorry for the dissertation. I hope it helps you with your paper.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

thank you I glad your daughter was OK

Kid calls were always the hardest for me. Once a litle girl fell in a inground pool. No one parents did not notice for a while. That day a snowstorm hit the area, we beat the paramedics. She reminded me so much of my little girls at that age. She did not make it no matter what we, medics and the hospital did. When it was called and the family told the mother cried "They killed her." While I was not in the room I bust into tears, I still carry the memory of that little girl in my heart and it has been 17 years. I remember most of the call back when I ran amblance/fire calls. That was ten years ago and I fought fire for 11 years and was a EMT for 20 years. I had a special needs son that took me in a diffrent road. He is 13 now and doing well, that is why I have retuened to school. Bless you all for being out there. Also you are all providing great infomation for my paper. I will let you know what grade I get on this.

MembersZone Subscriber

1st off, Brian, it put a tears my eyes.

1. 27
    2. 11
    3. I owe my parents and family for this. While being raised, our family was into a few organizations that were all about helping others, and were all volunteer. From Special Olymipcs to AMBUCS, and other organizations, it was just the right thing to do. For the Firehouse volunteering, that I think was just me at an early stage in life where I loved the lights and sirens (a whacker at 5). When I was old enough to join, I did, and am the first in the Family to do the FF thing. Thankfully the tradition is growing already as my fiance recently joined as an active member.
    4. #3 has a lot, for the basics, it's rewarding knowing that what you do can prevent lives from being lost. When I was younger(immature, I'll say it), it was a lot about me and what I could do for me, and what the Firehouse could do for me. As I have matured, it's the complete opposite. As a chief officer, it is all about others, plain and simple. I rarly find myself thinking about myself anymore, and mostly concentrate on the member under me and the public at large. If I do my job right, everyone goes home, and goes home with the confidence knowing they thier job right. "Volunteer management" as I call it has one job: Take care of your people, period!! Everything we do on the fireground, in the station, at details, whatever falls under that. My reward is seeing the smiles on the public's face, but most importantly, the members, without whom the Firehouse wouldn't exist. It's a job, it's a tough job, but if you do things right, it's a fun job.

Good luck on the paper

Forum Member

Years of Service: 13

Why: I am a second generation firefighter. I grew up next door to the fire station and everytime the guys went out on a call it was my job to close up the doors and do all the "runt" jobs when they got back. I can't even begin to count how many hoses I have rolled up. Basically I am a station rat and proud of it.

What need it fills: It gives me a sence of security. Some day my family or I may need the services of the local fire department. I am fortunate enought never to have needed any emergency services to this point, but being a firefighter (now chief) myself helps me feel secure that if I ever needed them, the people on my department are trained and ready to assit me, my family or anyone else who needs it.

Forum Member

Smile

Age - 24

Length in the service - 3 yrs

Why I volunteer? To serve the community.

What need(s) I think it fills in me? - I've always wanted to be able to give something back to the community. I found firefighting to be the best way for me to do this. Plus it's really fun.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do I volunteer? A very good question indeed.
    1. Age: I am 46 years old.

2. Length of Service: Have been a vollie since 1979, that is 27 years. The youngsters call me a dinosaur.

3. Why? I was exposed to the fire department when I was a kid. My dad was a vollie. My uncle also was a member. When I was 13 I read a book that was to have a huge impact on my life. It was, "Report from Engine Co. 83" written by Dennis Smith, the founding editor of Firehouse Magazine. Since the local department was volunteer me and a buddy decided to join. I have been there since that time. The expierence there helped get me into a paid department where I now have 21 years.

4. What needs does it fill? I am not sure it fills any special needs for me. But what I can say is this, when I am on the nozzle going into a good blaze I love it. It is dangerous and very hard work, true, but God help me I do love the battle so. It is a terrible thing to happen to a family or business to be a victim of fire but I want to be the one there to fight it. Helping others in trouble like in a car wreck or suffering some injury is rewarding. Yet it can also be a nightmare if they don't make it. We used to have an older lady that would call for an ambulance almost weekly. We run calls with EMS, and sometimes we would bitch and complain later about it but now that she is gone, she is missed. She just needed some contact with someone, the fire department and EMS folks were there to help. She got to know some of us by name and always got special treatment. We also got Christmas cards from her every year. Another thing that is special is the look in a kids eyes and the huge smile when you let them sit behind the steering wheel of the pumper. That alone makes all the bad things worth it.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

1. Age ?
    3. Why I volunteer?

No offence, but here's a litte friendly advice. You need to work on your spelling. If I was a teacher and you turned in a paper with the number of spelling mistakes you made in your poll alone, you'd get a big red F.

Influence
    Experience

Good luck.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 12-06-2006 at 10:35 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Answers

I am 65 yrs young.

Been fire fighting since 1964

I do it so that others might live.

Enjoy helping people in trouble.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. 19
    2. 3 years
    3. i volunteer because i am in school for fire service tech and its a freakin blast!!!!!
    Versailles Fire-Rescue

Thread Information