Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation Hello to everyone, welcome me!

Just found this sweet lookin' site, loads of info. I'm not a firefighter, been thinking about becoming one for quite some time. Just turned 30 & in the process of looking into it and I'm very serious about it!

There's so much info here, where should I start?

1) What should I do first to get started in this field? What courses are best, I want my resume to be kick *** when I apply.

Do I need an AA degree in Fire Technology?
    Volunteer work?
    Degree in EMT?

Any info would be great, thanks!

Depending on where you're from, you can always start applying early before you have any certs. I got in on my Part time Dept in town and they pay for everything for me. I get my Firefighter 2 class paid for, and paid while I attend, same with EMT and paramedic. I couldn't think of a more perffect route.

Not a lot of places are like that though, so start with getting your EMT, and then applying. If you can't find a paying gig, thats fine, work somewhere anyway, any expericence is better than none.

You don't have to have a kickass resume before applying because you'll have no exp. so you're resume still won't be that great to them I don't think. Get in as fast as you can cause you're already a bit behind being 30.

Good luck

Hey Rick,

Welcome aboard!

Here's a good place to start looking for info on classes, etc...http://www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/index.shtml

Get your Florida standards and EMT ASAP. Most all Fla. departments require at least EMT. Continue on to Paramedic if you can swing it. That'll give you a great shot at a job in this state.

Good luck!

Kevin

P.S. Visit the department(s) you want to work in and talk to the guys. That is one of your best resources of pertinant 411.
    Last edited by fireman4949; 12-04-2006 at 03:51 PM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information