Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Checking app status

I have applied to a volunteer department. I had emailed the Chief 3 weeks ago to check on the status of my application. He said it will be reviewed at their December meetings. That meeting was held December 1st. I haven't heard anything yet but its now only December 4th. So, do you think its appropriate for me to email again to check on my status. I don't want to be a pest.....just really eager to start. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

While it is good to show interest by following up on your application...Don't over do it. You might come across as obsessive or impatient.

Wait another 1 to 2 weeks from today, then e-mail again. Don't let the excitment get the better of you. You've done what you can do for now. Now just hurry up and wait!

NJ

[edit] It's been 3 days since the meeting. There may be other factors at play before you may be 'approved' So when I mentioned wait another week or two, that's because it's only been 3 days since the meeting.

NJ
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Ok thanks for responding. Thats what I needed to hear!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by panic66
    I have applied to a volunteer department. I had emailed the Chief 3 weeks ago to check on the status of my application. He said it will be reviewed at their December meetings. That meeting was held December 1st. I haven't heard anything yet but its now only December 4th. So, do you think its appropriate for me to email again to check on my status. I don't want to be a pest.....just really eager to start. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    I would get in touch with the Chief now. As a Chief, I like when people show some initiative and excitement. Don't be pushy but you need to let him know that you are interested.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doublej986
    I would get in touch with the Chief now. As a Chief, I like when people show some initiative and excitement. Don't be pushy but you need to let him know that you are interested.
    What he said.My old volunteer department called me up two days after I turned in the application and told me to come to the meeting that night for an interview by the officers and then the Board of Trustees would vote on my joining.
    Some Chiefs don't have a secretary to keep track of what they need to be doing paperwise and sometimes forget they have new people waiting for"the word".
    It might take a little time but it's worth it.
    Good luck.

Default Stop by

Stop by in person. As a Chief I to like some one to show initiative also as said in previous posts.
    E-mail is handy but a face to face makes a lasting impression. I't will show that you have a true intrest in joining.

This also alows you to meet some of the guys the impression may have an efect on the out come.

At Our Dept
    -You must fill out the requierd paper work.
    -If your background check comes back clean.
    -You must make 3 drills (every Mon night) 1st Mon of month does not count as it is a General Meeting of the Dept.
    -After 3 Drills Fire line Officers and FF take a written vote.
    (This time spent drilling allows them to get a feel for you and you to make sure that is what you want.) After all you will need to trust each other. Your life WILL depend on it.
    -The Fire Chief then let's you know how the vote went.

Stick in there, Good luck

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

Forum Member

I am having the same situation, i put my app in 3 weeks ago, and i talked to my old boss and he use to be a volunteer at the department in which i applied for. He then called the person that was in charge of doing the interviews and talked to him about my application. He then talked to the chief of the department whom he is good friends with, and talked me up alot which i felt really good about. My old boss called me last week telling me about the interviews and said that i missed the first set of interviews and that they would be calling me in a week. I dont know what to do, tom will be a week and i havent heard anything from the department. I dont know if i should wait until next week or what i should do?

Forum Member

Ok well I just email the Chief this morning. NOW I'm wondering if I was supposed to go to that meeting on Dec 1st. I don't remember hearing that I was supposed to attend.

Forum Member

Ok well I just email the Chief this morning. NOW I'm wondering if I was supposed to go to that meeting on Dec 1st. I don't remember hearing that I was supposed to attend.
    Possibility. The volunteer companies in the combo dept here, and the city VFD, require that you show up to xx number of meetings prior to being "voted" at the monthly business meeting. You have to show up at your "vote-in" meeting as well, and either give a speech or have an interview with the membership prior to the vote (secret ballot, and you have to wait outside the meeting room). If you don't show for that business meeting, then you don't get voted on.

Were they having you attend meetings (training or business) prior to the business meeting?
    If so, chances are you were supposed to be at the business meeting... at worst, you may've blown it completely. At best, they'll just make you start the application process (including the mandatory meetings) over again.
    If you didn't have to attend meetings, then I have no clue whatsoever. I can't see a department bringing someone onboard sight unseen, though. I mean, an application doesn't really tell you anything about the person except the barest essentials of facts...

Forum Member

I dropped my application off at the station. Had a sit down with the Chief for about 20min. After that I got a tour of the station. So I wasn't at any meetings or anything.

Forum Member

I dropped my application off at the station. Had a sit down with the Chief for about 20min. After that I got a tour of the station. So I wasn't at any meetings or anything.
    Hm. Then your guess is as good as mine.

Forum Member

Ha Ha HA!! Now ya see my situation! Thank you everyone for you helpfull advise. I'll let ya know how it all worked out.

Forum Member

panic66, When I joined, I mailed in an application that I found on-line. I also sent a cover letter with my application due to the fact that I was new in the area and had no family or friends to use as refrences. I then waited 7 weeks without hearing anything so I just showed up at the station on drill night and asked about it.

I was told that I was approved for membership and that I would have been contacted in a week or so. A very laid back approach if you ask me. Anyway, I started right then and there on that night and have been progressivly getting more and more involved as time goes on. So, if you don't hear anything before the next drill night, why not just show up and see what's going on? I can't see where it would hurt anything. Just don't act like you know anything about fire fighting and listen to everyone. And remember also, if it wasn't fun then no one would do it.

As some of the previous posters have said, you want to take the inituitive but you don't want to be too agressive as to suggest that you are obsessed. There is a fine line here because 99% of the volunteers I know are certified obsessed with this activity. You just have to pace yourself at first. I have seen guys jump into the first due engine ready to rumble after just receiving their pager and having very little training. What do they think they are going to do once they arrive on scene without training? I have also seen guys with experience who moved to our town who waited a fairly long time to get their pager because the person who takes care of the pagers forgot and the FF didn't ask.

I have also seen guys go through the application process and after being approved, never show up or maybe show up for 2 or 3 drills, never to be seen again. So, the persons who process the applications probably don't feel that a member is really a member until they have shown up enough times to convince them that this individual is really interested.

Forum Member

Thanks thomas15! great stuff. Well I got an email from the Chief this morning. They pushed the meeting back to Jan 5th. I'm not supposed to show up.

Forum Member

Hey guys i was tellin you before about my application, and i was wondering do you guys think it is to early for me to be sending an email to the fire station to ask them about the status of my application? I turned my application in 3 weeks ago last tuesday. Tell me what you guys think.

Thread Information