Forum Member

Default Yesterday I was rewarded...

Almost a year ago; my department was dispatched to a 10-50 (mva) pi subject pinned just 1/2 mile from my station...Actually, a friend of mine from another department in our county saw the accident and got on his portable and called communications, I heard him and before the tones hit we were half way there....on arrival, and after setting up command and all that other stuff we have to do, my friend advised me one subject was pinned...it was a violent, high speed, alcohol induced collision with an on-comming car with teenager driving and a tree. The driver was minor and aneibriated (sp):the passenger was pinned at the lower extemities by the dash and console with door intrusion to his rt side as well....he was unconscious, angonal respirations and probably seeing the light at the end of the tunnel; they both were teenagers. His blood pressure was almost non-existent. My crew went buck wild on cutting the roof off, poping the door and rolling the dash...all of you know the terminology, Im sure. Our local ems unit was right on our butts upon arrival and all the things they do went in place, ivs, c-spine, chest decompression all were taking place during the extrication; helicopter was on-scene upon removal....then the clean-up....most of you have been there. Oh, the girl hit was fine as was the driver of the pin-in car. Anyway, in my 20 years in the biz, Ive seen many, too many teenagers killed in my district; I as well as my co-workers have looked into the eyes of these kids and knew they were gone. Well, I did the same for this fella as well....I knew for sure he was gone when I looked into face... Then last friday, I got a call, and it was this kids mom who told me she was told I and my crew were first on the scene that day, which is not the point, somebody has to be there first, but that her son wanted to come by and meet me and any other members who were with me that day and save his life. I was AMAZED to say the least. I had a trooper friend who was there and had spoken to his mom after the wreck and he was in a coma for 5 months with zero chance of survival...Well he beat that zero all up around the ***, cause the boy walked into my station yesterday and hugged me and absolutely made my day or week even...he had a bad limp, couldnt yet speak due to a temperary tongue/jaw function disability, but he had ALL of his congnative capacities, he had the biggest smile and had to communicate with a thumb on his only hand that was working right by "thumbs up or thumbs down", but he knew what we were saying!! He was a lot like evil kenieval in that he broke almost every long bone (with exception to femurs, lucky him), ribs, lumbar spine, hips, pelvic bones, saacruum, they removed 1 lung and 1 kidney and his spleen....etc...the list goes on and on. He, his mom and I sat for a while and talked about the wreck, what was done, this that and the other; I showed him the hurst tool we used on the car and he gave me the "thumbs up"!! Fellas, and ladies, THAT, to me is what its all about...hopefully a lot of you feel the same way about the job and what it means to you...lots of times we block out the tragedy and the years go by and sometimes something like that happens and makes it all worth it...I had a simlilar experience once many years ago when I almost delivered a baby; I did get to ride to the hospital holding it; but I didnt deliver it...damn, but that too was a great day for me. Anyway, Im not and never have been egotistical or thinking Im the greatest thing to the fire service; but I am a proud man and a leader, and Im proud of my crew on the day of that wreck and proud to say WE contributed a small way to allow that kid to walk into my station and make my day yesterday. Anyway, thanks for your time and I hope if some of you have to experience the pain that we do experience, someday you can be rewarded with the joy like I was yesterday as well....Stay safe! Merry Christmas (and if you dont believe in that then Merry whatever you believe in).

Ps...for all you yunguns out...stay off the booze and roads!
    Last edited by Captnnc; 12-05-2006 at 09:53 PM. Reason: innacurate account

Forum Member

good job cap good to hear

Forum Member

Very good....

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Well all I gotta say is:

Nice story.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

DVFD

You are so correct that's what it's all about!!!

Great Job tell the Guy's the same, Keep it up.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You and Yours

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

Forum Member

Nice...it's always good to see "the fruits of our labor"...TWO THUMBS UP...

Forum Member

Sounds a lot better than not hearing about the patient again and wondering or the all too usual"We know that y'all tried your best to save them...."

Forum Member

Smile

GOOD STUFF CAPTAIN.. Not often you get thanks on the job.. Not that we need it or want Just nice..

Forum Member

Great story Cap!

Do us all a favor next time,,break it into several paragraphs, it's easier to read if theres a break now and then

Thread Information