Thread: workouts

Forum Member

Default workouts

does anybody know of any good resources for firefighter workouts. I currently workout around 4 days a week but don't really know a whole lot. I am in the military also so I sort of have to be fit. does anybody know about that firefighter workout, by that FDNY retired captain??? any help would be appreciated!!

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cuevas623
    does anybody know of any good resources for firefighter workouts. I currently workout around 4 days a week but don't really know a whole lot. I am in the military also so I sort of have to be fit. does anybody know about that firefighter workout, by that FDNY retired captain??? any help would be appreciated!!
    i bought that book about a month ago, its not a book to buy if you want specific tips on training for the FD. its a good book if you know nothing about working out and you want a work out based on what firefighters do, but for someone in your position i wouldnt get it. the best part of the book for me was the diet material. it has 2 types of programs(broken down into 6 different routines), one designed for strength and one designed for cardio/endurance.
    basically if you need help with strength you do 3 days (i.e. mon, wed, fri) totally body workout with high weight low reps, then 2 days (tues, thurs) of cardio for 15-45 minutes (i do thirty of running comes out to about 3.5 miles) then 2 days rest. the cardio program is 3 days cardio and 2 days strength. The rest of the book basically covers how to do certain exercizes and stuff like that, its very basic, its not a book for candidates to train of off in my humble opinion.
    I'm personally strength training untill the written test, after the written test ill start endurance training muscularly and carido, then move to event specific training (where you do exercises in mock form of what is on the CPAT). Hope that helped

MembersZone Subscriber

Default work out

drop me your email and I will send you the workout I submitted to the IAFF website for next month

Orlando GOmez
    PFT

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ogomez
    drop me your email and I will send you the workout I submitted to the IAFF website for next month

Orlando GOmez
    PFT
    id like to see it if you dont mind.
    email = ashalarock1786@yahoo.com

Forum Member

i would also like to see that workout. If you dont mind..
    email= Dm4life123@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Here is a link to the article

http://www.foodfit.com/iaff/default_issue20.asp

HAVE FUN

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any suggestions on build up cardio and HITT cardio and endurance training?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hitt???

don't know what that is.

Cardio: interval workouts are great, use stairs or hills

Stand back, I'm new.

Quote Originally Posted by ogomez View Post
    don't know what that is.

Cardio: interval workouts are great, use stairs or hills
    I am assuming this was supposed to be HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Programs like the ones listed here (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=251run2) are examples of HIIT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default workout to iaff thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by ogomez View Post

Orlando GOmez
    PFT
    Hey could i get a copy of that workout you submitted too thanks alot..

Backdraft21001@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Ill take a copy of that workout please.
    Losal12@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

One of my favorite excersizes is the farmers walk. I think this does ALOT. Its not an entire work out but just part of mine. I started with two 25 lbs. plates (the ones with handles on them) and with one in each hand I would walk 1/2 mile to 1 mile. I've worked up to 45 lbs. in each hand.

clipse
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=181526&dateline=11930  75762

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Training ideas....

I would suggest super setting... working at high intensity... intervals... opposing muscle groups, or switching from one major muscle group to another.
    Here are some ideas:
    Pull ups and decline leg press. Start out low reps on the pull ups, and low weight and high reps (20) on the leg press. Go up in reps each time you do the pull up, and go up in weight and down in reps (by 2 each time). Start with 4 super sets, and work up to 8. Go back and forth without rest.
    OR:
    Warm up first. Put a weight vest on: start low and work up. Get on the step mill or eliptical trainer. Work for 2 minutes pretty hard. Get off and do 20 walking lunges. Get on the floor and do push ups (start with 10 of you need to). Add weight to the vest and start on the eliptical or step mill again. Go through 4 times at first, work up to 8 times through the circuit.
    Also, look here:
    http://www.fireagility.com/faq.php

Write me with questions! drjen@fireagility.com

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 02-11-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Default Worht the $50 bucks

http://www.fireagility.com/cpat_events.php

I just spent the 50 bucks on this, and started t 3 weeks ago, and man what a difference already. Worth the money for sure.

Forum Member

I just bought the book about 2 min. ago hope it really works!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks you guys...

I am ever so flattered.
    Yeah, it works... if you work it...

Dr. J

Hey everyone, I have been involved in the 911 field for 18 years now, the last two being a patrol Sgt. The thing that really annoys me is that these "fine citiziens" we deal with are getting bigger and stronger and my officres are getting hurt......I've been the strength coach for a lot of guys who went on to play in the NHL, 23 in fact... they are all using these two great new supplements...and I want to even the odds for our brothers and sister's in blue and red...I have been in many pro training rooms and right now the pro's are using a new stable form of Creatine called Purple K Creatine...amazing benefits, no side effects like bloating, cramps or water retention...the other new innovative supplement s ZEUS, its a natural stimulant that gets your body to produce more of it's own testosterone.... both are in compliance with the CCES and WADA as well as the NCAA

Both can be found at www.hockeysupplements.com as of this Friday

If you want training advice let me know...Train the way the pro's do...

Fraternally yours...Doug

Forum Member

For all around general health and fitness, I would recommend Body For Life by Bill Phillips. It has some great information on healthy eating and working out.

On a personal level, this book along with Eating For Life gave a wide range of healthy recipes that I cook at the firehouse on a regular basis and the other guys don't even know they are eating healthy.

Also there is Body For Life For Women, which focuses on some additional women specific issues.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HITT vs. HIIT

Nevermind... silly me

Thread Information