Thread: Major explosion

Forum Member

Default Major explosion

Major explosion in Milwaukee

Police and Fire officials are responsing to a major explosion in the Menomonee Valley. A police official said that no squads have reported back yet but that there was some sort of blast and it is now a working fire near the Falk plant, between 27th and 35th, in the Valley.

Heavy black smoke and flames could be seen engulfing a smokestack with the word Falk on it. Traffic was backed up eastbound on I-94 past the Wisconsin State Fair grounds. Milwaukee County Sheriff squads raced on 94 to the scene.

Here's a shot of the blaze from the traffic cam on 20th St.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/n...18/detail.html

- On a side not, I live approximately 2.5 miles from this factory, and I have cracked windows in my home.
    Last edited by BrewCityFF; 12-06-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Hook & Can

From http://www.todaystmj4.com/_content/n...story_5895.asp

Explosion and Fire
    Posted by: Jenn Rourke - 12/6/2006

MILWAUKEE - An explosion and four-alarm fire have been reported at the Falk Corporation, 3001 W. Canal Street in the Menomonee Valley. Smoke is heavy and crews are on the scene. Authorities are reporting several buildings on fire.

Reports are that one building collapsed and another is in danger. Large chunks of one roof are falling off. The explosion could reportedly be felt as far as Cudahy.

Reports are coming in that the cause may have been a 160 lbs. propane tank.

Twenty to thirty people may have been injured. The victims are being taken to various hospitals.

The freeway on and off ramps at 35th St. are closed.ramps

Falk Corporation is a global manufacturing company headquartered in Milwaukee. The comapny was founded in the 1840's.

Workers often deal with molten metals in making mechanical gears.

The wife of one Falk worker called TODAY'S TMJ4 and said her husbnad, who works at the west end of the building, heard an explosion on the east side of the building. She said her husband actually droe someone to the hospital because emergency crews initially couldn't get to the site.

She said the east end of the building is used to build gears of all sizes. She also reported that the company fosters a family atmosphere.

She said her husband called her immediately to warn her and let her know he was okay. "Don't worry I'm OK, but you going to see something terrible on television"

The woman also reported that many people were likely at their machines working at the time.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

OK, we don't need any more bad news about firefighters like just happened across the pond.

Hope all working this incident STAY SAFE!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

the 4-1-4

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/index.html

Update with live streaming available. It's said to be a propane tank explosion, with a complete collapse, unkown number of trapped occupants.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Best of luck and good wishes for all who are in attendance. Hope all works out, and everyone gets home in good order.

--------
    Meanwhile, locally in Fairfax County:

County page:

Box 0163// Event type HAZMAT// Address Rt 123 (thats near my area) and 495// comments BC402 onscene with R401 for a SUSPECTED UNEXPLODED PIPE BOMB// 12/06/06//09:51:21
    ------
    New pages...

If the BOOM happens, they will call for our Medic and Engine, no doubt. And from 429, and 413; maybe from 430 and 440 too.

Hmmm new page: Box 2500 Canteen 402 (thats mine) to Parkcrest Cir: caller "smells gas"....

New page: Need a Canteen for box 0163, Canteen 402 is First DPB// (not sure what DPB means....??) {apparently being reassigned }

New Page: CAD MSG: BOX 0163 HAZMAT/CHAIN BRIDGE RD/ N I495 INNER, MCLEAN/CAN 402/UNDERNEATH THE BELTWAY ON RTE 123// R401 ONSCENE WITH A SUSPECTED PIPE BOMB

Sounds like DPSC is having "Pucker Factor" too.............

Local news:

Suspicious Package Closes Route 123 Near Beltway

POSTED: 10:05 am EST December 6, 2006
    UPDATED: 10:49 am EST December 6, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Authorities have closed Route 123 in both directions in Fairfax County near the Outer Loop of the Capital Beltway while they investigate a suspicious package.

Route 123 is closed in both directions as a bomb-detecting robot investigated the package.

View Images

The Beltway's Outer Loop is open, but drivers are not allowed to exit onto Route 123. This is causing a backup of traffic on the Beltway.

Hazardous materials teams have been called to the scene.

Stay with News4 and nbc4.com for more information.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 12-06-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Forum Member

Nice job stay safe to the brothers of MFD .....

Now lets wait for the Safety suzie's to flame one on ..you have new material to spew your n/m...

FTM PTB RFB
    Box 8087

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Pipeman2, actually, the "Guys On Parade" with the pipe bomb are from Fairfax Co FRD. Even though I am no longer with Malahat, it was easier to carry my old screen name than choose a new one. GO VIENNA VFD (Co2, FFRD)! LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information