Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Preferential Parking For POVs

I was wondering anyone has seen this or has preferential parking at businesses, sporting events, etc.? I know it's not the morm but I thought it was odd.

I've seen it a few times were POVS were parked in the fire lanes or up close at businesses (i.e. Wal Mart), but they weren't on a call. I've also seen at sporting events POVs parked inside the gates of high school stadiums.

The only thing I can think of is the distance to your POV if your paged.

in the event of a fire, they'ed know about it and be albe to move thier car if need be before a truck got there...

Me and a couple guys from the station have parked in the fire lane at a grocery store when we were picking up a few (heavy) cases of food for a FD picnic thing this summer. But then again, we were in a FD marked SUV, not just a regular POV... so.... yeah...

I usually don't see anything like that though

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

I do not park in the fire lane, even in the truck, unless it is an emergency. The only thing different between me and anyone else, is that when I am in the fire truck, I need a few more spaces in the lot.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

As with any fire apparatus, a POV has to obey alltraffic laws when not on a call. Personally, I'd probably come unglued if I ever found out that any of my guys were doing this. Mainly because it sets a poor example to the rest of the public.

If there is a fire at the location, do you really think the guy inside is going to run out and move his car? I'm thinking more like he'll go grab an extinguisher or assist in evacuation, leaving a car in the fire lane.

In a department vehicle on department business is a little different thing.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I've never seen anything like this. The closest I've seen is that at work we have reserved spots for "First Responders", but it is for our own in-house squad that may have to run in between buildings not for POV response of township FD/EMS members.

I don't know how useful something like that would be. Unless it is a huge parking lot, dedicated spots would only save a minute of running. If the parking lot is that big then traffic would probably eat up that savings anyway.

As for POV's parked in the Fire Lane.. I think its a bad PR move. Certainly smacks of hypocracy to have your own members parking in places you ticket the public for. The example Olie mentions above being the exception. I know where I live we ticket folks all the time for parking in Fire Lanes. If you have a FD tag don't expect any leeway, you should know better.

I brought this up because I saw this while on vacation in Georgia and Florida. I thought it was odd. We'd never do it up here and I didn't want to wait around and ask the person why they were.

Now on a similar note I do park in the Expectant Mother spots at Meijer. My wife rolls her eyes but I always say "They chose to get pregnant, whether they wanted to or not."

Post Reserved parking for FF's

Yes, I know of a place that does have reserved parking for first responders.
    The local plant of a major pump manufacturer has reserved spaces near it's front gate for first responders. Since the plant is in a village protected by volunteers, it allows all volunteers to leave work, subject to the approval of the employees manager, to respond to emergencies and be on the clock for up to 2 hours. This is a very nice perk and helps with the manpower situation during the day since this company is the biggest employer in our county.
    I know of other places that used to do that, but with the rise of places being operated by management that doesn't live or work in the area, the idea of helping the community that your employees live in seems to be going out of style.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Talking

I park in the fire lane. When I am sitting behind another car parked in the lane, writing it a citation!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    I park in the fire lane. When I am sitting behind another car parked in the lane, writing it a citation!
    Good for you!! Why in the world do peole park there? Like walking in the parking lot to your vehicle is'nt going to hurt your response time. Parking in the fire lane with your pov should'nt be allowed, and considering how some people drive in their pov's to calls they would probally end up killing someone walking to or from the store!!BE SAFE!!

Thumbs up Ditto

We also have a strict pollicy with our Dept. No parking in fire Zones unless it is for a call we are responding to (Apparatus) . POV's parks out of the way all the time.

The only time We get prefured parking is at a ball game or festival in the "Parish". (County for every body else). I say prefured what the local LEO's does is make shure we do not get blocked in. This means parking away from the gate facing out.

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

It is also possible the vehicles parked inside the fence at the game is because there were working EMS at the game.

As far a prefered parking, no such thing around here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Talking

We get preferred parking....
    They have an entire section for us at the firehouse

Nope...Park with everyone else

MembersZone Subscriber

If the public sees firefighters parking in fire lanes during non emergencys, it sets a precident that it's ok, and I think it sets a bad example.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

I park in the regular parking lot.
    If I can't walk that far, I would have to quit being a front line firefighter.

And that isn't going to happen anytime soon, if I have anything to say about it.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

The only fire lanes i park in are;

The fire lane right in front of papa johns within the parking lot (its a busy parking lot cause of a club, and i want my pizza!)

The fire lane in front of my fire house if my ambulance is 2nd out (theres a spot marked FIRE LANE across the street from us, its used so we can back the trucks in and out, we're on the main road in our town). A bunch of us park there if we come down 1 street (theres a friggin stop light that prevents us from gettng into our parking lot down 1 road we hafta cross).

But i don't abuse me being in the FD. I park in normal spots, i don't park in handy cap spots or make my own spots. Even if im on call and im in a store, i'll park in a spot.

The only time i'd concider parking in a fire lane is if im in an ambulance or the 1st responder car, because then, im on call and i need to get out and i have an emergency vehicle.

Remember, the blue light doesnt give us permission to break the law
    Adam, EMT-B

XNA1590
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Prefered parking

The only place we get prefered parking is at the fire station. I wouldn't be caught dead parking my POV in a fire lane my chief would have my a** clear up to my shoulder blades he would kick it so hard.

Forum Member

I've seen it done, and then I've also watched the various chiefly types up here "chat" with said member, and it's not a problem after that.

The only time I've been in the fire lane, was in the BRT, getting something for an FD function, or in the event of an actual call.

Though I will say this, someone didn't think with most of the firelanes we have. We can't get the ladder truck into them if we want to set up, we have to move out into the parking lot anyway, and none of the engines park there, because the hydrants are all hundreds of feet away, and around the corner, and the sprinkler connections are in the backs of the buildings. The first due engine can utilize the fire lane, but they usually pull a little out anyway, so they can be reasonably sure the building won't fall directly on their heads.

Thread Information