Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lafd

Forum Member

Default Lafd

I see the testing is on-going. How many do they hire? Is it a long process?

Stay safe.

Forum Member

yes, it's on going... The process takes a long time. It's been over a year so far. Not sure how many they plan to hire.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Los Angeles City Fire Department is hiring 1,000 firefighters over the next 4 years. Yes, I did say 1,000.
    Visit their website at:

http://www.joinlafd.org/

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CPAT Certification

It looks like they require a valid CPAT certification. Where can one go about getting that. Are there any areas in the NY/NJ/CT/PA area that gives this sort of certification? Thank you.

Forum Member

That's the problem. In California they are given twice a month. There are non existent here in NY unless you are applying with a NY department and then they have it administered. Other words, they really wouldn't want you to take the test just to use it for somewhere else.

Forum Member

Many departments are now requiring candidates to be CPAT certified before they accept your application. It takes the expense and burden off the agency. The certification is good for one year.

This California CPAT agency might have contacts for other locations around the country: http://www.cffjac.org/jac/cpat/for_candidates/index.cfm

An agency hiring 250 a year is a great opportunity. The process itself can be swift for some and long and gruelling for others. It's a process that can contain many black holes.

I've talked to many candidates who learned how to take a firefighter interview and scored high enough to go forward in the hiring process and are now on line wearing their LAFD badges. Some had few (EMT is a must) if any previous education, experience or degrees, and oral board experience. At first their buddies with far more credentials, experience and years of testing didn't believe them. Then they were angry because it wasn't them going forward. What ever happened to "Good Luck to All?"

You can learn more tips and ideas about the LA City hiring process here:
    http://www.eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

NYCTruckie - Agaudio

If you guy's are looking for a place to take the CPAT. Try CT, they offer the test quite a few times a year. The test is open to any one, resident or non-resident.
    Good luck.

Forum Member

Yeah, I am looking into Conn for the CPAT, thank you.

It's a shame that the LAFD doesn't do expedited testing like the police. Coming in from-of-town? Take a number of tests all together in one to two days. This really makes it easier, and cheaper. Don't get me wrong, if you want a job you should bust your *****. But I am looking at flying out to California something like eight to nine times. And I don't have any saved up miles. This is going to be tough.

Forum Member

Some departments like Las Vegas, who will be testing again soon, do accomodate out of town candidates with the agility one day and the oral the next if you pass.

The hiring process for fire seems to be more concentrated if your a seasoned medic. They know the competition to hire those medics is high and they will allow you to jump through the flamming hoops faster because they don't want you to get away.

There are far more Law Enforcement Officer jobs trying to attrack candidates that fire. Some LEO jobs will provide the oral, psych and poly on the same day or weekend. Supply and demand. If you're already and LEO and can pass the poly you can attract multiple job offers with signing bonuses.

I took the on-line Personal History Questionaire PHQ for LA City Fire and passed. Although I just took it to see what it was like (you can too: more here: http://www.eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm ) I've been solicited numerous times by LAPD to pursue a job offer.

Where would you rather work? The long running joke around LA City: What do the police and firefighters have in common? They both wanted to be firefighters.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ct. Cpat

ok, here is a link to the fire academy in CT. that offers the CPAT class:
    http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/cwp/view.asp?a=826&Q=246722

Forum Member

Hey Capt Bob, I used your tools when I was getting ready for the FDNY. The hiring process is very different than out in Calif, but being prepared is the best tool in any situation, wouldn't you agree? The idea of having "a nugget" hit a home run, I think, when I had my psy interview.

Anyway, I would prefer to stay in the FD but out in LA. But you are right, it is much easier to complete the PD process. Either way, it is tough just trying to make a move cross country.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTruckie
    Hey Capt Bob, I used your tools when I was getting ready for the FDNY. The hiring process is very different than out in Calif, but being prepared is the best tool in any situation, wouldn't you agree? The idea of having "a nugget" hit a home run, I think, when I had my psy interview.

Stay safe.
    Yep, the real secret in getting hired is to be prepared for every step of the hiring process . . . before you show up so you will have a seamless no surprised experience.

The proof is in the badge!

Bob

Thread Information