Thread: Bullard T4

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bullard T4

I've been reading the previous posting with much interest. My department recent was approached by Bullard, with a rep showing us the T3 and T4. Many of our members, on first glance, were "mesmorized" by the "coolness" factor of the T4 ("high def" screen, small size, 4x's zoom, color) but at a price of $13000 plus, it seems a little high.

I've read a little and it sounds like the whole color image thing can be a bit overhyped. If price were no object (we're a smaller department with a likewise smaller budget), sure it would be great. However, isn't there something else that may be just as good but not quite as fancy?

PS - For the record, we currently use the first generation Bullards, which work OK but are big and bulky. For the most part, we haven't had any problems with them.

Forum Member

Entry level t3's are short money and nice cameras.Personally I could care less about the color screen,gray scale works fine for me.We just ordered 3 T3s for our dept so Every primary piece will have a camera on it. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I agree with TC - we're nearing ordering an additional two cameras - and we won't spend the money for the latest greatest. Just like computers, you pay dearly for the geewhiz features, but don't gain all that much from it.

While we haven't decided the brand of the new cameras we'll buy, we have a couple of T3's that are a few years old, and both work great. We also have a TI Commander, and while it is bulky, it also still works and that one must be closing on five or six years old.

For the $13,000 you're looking at, you could probably darn near buy two demo models of a lower model camera. I know which way I'd go...

All front line engines have TIs, the two new ones will put us with one on a RIT squad and move the big camera to the reserve/last out engine.

Something else to consider - we have the transmitters on the cameras and a receiver with the little monitor and so forth. WE NEVER USE IT. When we want to use it, we're in a concrete burn tower, and the reception is poor. Save your money, in my opinion, if you're considering it.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by LtSuperG
    I've been reading the previous posting with much interest. My department recent was approached by Bullard, with a rep showing us the T3 and T4. Many of our members, on first glance, were "mesmorized" by the "coolness" factor of the T4 ("high def" screen, small size, 4x's zoom, color) but at a price of $13000 plus, it seems a little high.

I've read a little and it sounds like the whole color image thing can be a bit overhyped. If price were no object (we're a smaller department with a likewise smaller budget), sure it would be great. However, isn't there something else that may be just as good but not quite as fancy?

PS - For the record, we currently use the first generation Bullards, which work OK but are big and bulky. For the most part, we haven't had any problems with them.
    The T3XT has the same engine as the T4, without the extra features (including the widescreen). If you like the small size and performance of the T4, the T3XT is a reasonable substitute at a lower cost.

As NPFD mentioned, sometimes there are refurbished demo models available, which can lower your cost as well.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb
    The T3XT has the same engine as the T4, without the extra features (including the widescreen). If you like the small size and performance of the T4, the T3XT is a reasonable substitute at a lower cost.

As NPFD mentioned, sometimes there are refurbished demo models available, which can lower your cost as well.
    I misspoke here...the engines inside are not identical; the image performance is similar. The T4 has a 320x240 detector while the T3 series have a 160x120 detector. To the casual user with no interest in the extra features, the image performance is nearly equal.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information