MembersZone Subscriber

I use the old Scott 2.2's and although I occasionally use the purge method I would prefer to use another system because I don't want to waste my precious air either.

I'm glad that you asked the question Kevin.
    I am going to look into that sightguard product.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

I beg to differ, but this maybe a SOP difference between your department and mine. We have to have our masks on at the truck so all we need to do is when we get to the door is pop the regulator on and go. Only officers can leave their masks off.

The problem is the distance between the truck, tools in hand, to the entrance of the structure. We've done the three blind mice routinee because of fog ups but I feel dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeh850
    There's really no need to defog until you put the regulator in. In theory (and hopefully in practice too) you dont have your mask on until you are at the door, ready to go into the fire building. At that point, all you need are open ears to hear your officer, or to hear truck telling you to go in. When its time to go to work, put your regulator in, and your mask will defog within seconds.

Forum Member

Is this product safe for high temp enviroments?

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    Go to your local dive shop and get No-Fog that is made for SCUBA dive masks. End of problem!

" Leather Forever"

Default Try Driager no fog gel!

Here in Alaska fogging is a real problem when you go from a dry hot fire to the 20-40 below temps outside. We use Drager Packs and they sell a no fog gel that has worked the best for us. The MSA No fog stuff is ok.

The other option is to throw away your pack learn to breath out your A#@ and let the hair filter out the smoke! Just a thought!

Forum Member

There was a similar posting on this topic a few months back. Like was stated earlier, put the face piece on when you need to go on air. If it fogs up then, you should be able to wipe the lens with your hand. That's about all that you can do. Your local SOP may say otherwise, but there are not too many other options. Try some suggestions offered here in training and see what works for you. Good luck

Forum Member

try the eyeglass cleaner/antifog from local hardware store. works really good ive used it for years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Old scuba diver trick.....

spit on the lense, rub it around, wipe dry.
    Works everytime.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Do what Chicago said, take off your mask until you are inside and need it. It annoys me when I see guys having there mask on in the truck going to a fire so that by the time the get there they can't see anything about the structure they are going into. Wait until the last moment you need it, then put it on. And if you go outside take it off. This is what I do to save time, it isnt NFPA recommended, but it saves time. I keep my mask on the regulator once I check the truck out and leave it on. Once I need my mask on in a fire I charge my bottle then put my mask on whith the regulator still attached. I have already tested the seal and operation at the start of shift so I dont need to retest the seal and all that. And with positive pressure, I dont even tighten up my top straps I leave them where they need to be so all I need to do is tighten the bottom two and go. It is alot more quick. Inside the fire wipe off your mask and keep moving the line.

MembersZone Subscriber

Head to your local ski shop, they'll direct you to what you need People have been using anti-fogging material for skiing for years.

On another note, each Firefighter should follow their SOP and not suggestions here in regards to when they should have their face piece on. Not all Departments are the same and there is no "one right way".
    Local 2068

Thread Information