Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Illinois help???

I'm moving to the south side of Chicago at the end of January. I am looking to start testing as soon as possible and already know of 2 departments starting processes within the first few months of '07, but other than the few postings for jobs on this sites job listings and a few I'm finding on suntimes.com I haven't had any luck finding other departments who are hiring. If anyone knows of another site or way I can find out about upcoming department tests I would greatly appreciate it.

I am a paramedic and firefighter II in Arizona and have already found out my academy meets IL requirements.

Any suggestions or advice would be awesome as I'm trying to learn what seems like a much different process than what I'm used to out in AZ. Thanks everyone.

Also, anyone know of a good ambo company to work for (or not to for that matter) in the Chicago area let me know. I've found a few but I know absolutely nothing about any department or ambo company at all.

Forum Member

I use www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com for IL

Plus not as many departments are testing right now, most will test in the spring, summer, and fall. THey usually arent annouced until they start accepting apps.. So just be patient.

Forum Member

Default Ambulance Company

As far as working for an ambulance company, it depends if you want to run 911 calls or transfers only. Trace ambulance and Superior ambulance do mostly transports. Trace ambulance has a 911 contract for Tinley Park, IL and Crestwood, IL. Maybe another, but I'm not sure. I don't believe Superior ambulance is 911 for any towns. There is a company called Bud's ambulance that has 911 contracts for about 10-15 dept.'s. Some of these towns are not in the best areas, but you get a lot of shootings, stabbings, and other good trauma's. With the good calls comes the I've had a headache for 3 months and now I'm gonna call you at 3am calls. Bud's ambulance still does transports, but I don't believe as many as the other 2 listed above. I could be wrong. As far as FD is concerned, it depends if you want to make a ton of money and not get that many fires or make an average amount and get "some" fires. I say some cause nobody gets a lot of fires anymore. My dept. averages about 1 every couple weeks and that is considered a lot. It's not in the best of areas though. Good luck with your future endeavors and if you want more info give me your email and I'll try and help you out.

MembersZone Subscriber

My email is IOOrsolutions@aol.com. Any additional info at all would be awesome. As far as numbers of fires, I really just want to be a on a good department where I"ll have some security, the means to help support a family, and the chance to fight fire. The more fire the better, but not at the cost of job security or pay that won't allow me to be somewhat comfortable. Out here most departments basically pay the same and most benefits are comparable. Like I said before, I really don't know anything really about departments back there. I know I won't be able to wear a T-shirt and shorts there lol.

Forum Member

Default email

tvalen, I sent you an email but i don't know if it went through. I'm an idiot with computers. If you didn't get it let me know and I'll try again.

MembersZone Subscriber

nope but I spelled it wrong in my last post. it's iooresolutions@aol.com

Forum Member

Two other ambulance companies that provide 911 contract service and run out of firehouses are PSI (paramedic services of IL), and PSSI (public safety services of IL). If you have a paramedic license they are pretty easy to get jobs at. The only downside is that the pay is typically in the low 30's. That is not enough to raise a family on around here unless the old lady has a good job. However, all the depts are on a 24/48 schedule, so you could hustle another job. As far as suburban municipal depts go, there are a ton. "chicagoland" outside of the city proper has about 4 million people. the larger depts have 8-10 stations, and the smallest have 1. Pay for a ff/emtp averages in the high 60's with about 5 years of service with that dept. starting pays vary, but the mid 40's seems to be about the norm. the other post is correct, that most wait until spring or summer to test, and most depts test every 2 years. I always found that the chicago tribune had more job ads. the competition is pretty tough, so you need to be prepared to test at EVERY dept, not just the ones where you want to work. good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks a lot. yeah the ambo gig would jsut be until i get hired so i'm not looking at making a carear out of being on a box. fire is definitely where i want to be. thanks again for the input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont work for Superior Ambulance. They have shady employment practices, and they make you wear a neck tie!

Thread Information