Thread: X-ray machines

MembersZone Subscriber

Default X-ray machines

My dept responded to a structure fire yesterday in a two story commercial structure. This building is divided up into several 800-1200 sq. ft. offices.
    Two of these offices were dentist offices with the full compliment of equipment. We were able to stop the fire before these offices were endangered by anything other than smoke. However, had the fire reached the x-ray machines, what would have been the result, other than the obivious?
    What I am looking for is do these machines pose any special hazard? ie. radiation etc.
    Thanks.
    PS The engine I was in charge of was first due.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing. It's no different than a tv really. Same basic concept of a cathode ray tube system. Link There is nothing in them that is radioactive.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

Post X-ray hazards

needlejocky, nice link and very informative, thanks.
    Personally I would be more worried, from a haz mat point of view, of the chemicals that are used to develop the film, unless it is a digital output.
    What are they? What happens to them as they get heated or get mixed with water? If the extension of the fire is such, and you have the time, is removing the chemicals safely possible?
    gober88, glad to hear you didn't have to possibly find the answers to my questions the hard way.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd imagine the devloping chemicals would be similar if not the same for regular photography. In either case I have no idea. Without knowing what chemicals are used I can't do an MSDS search on them to find out if they go boom or worse. If anyone knows a photo buff who does their own processing ask them and let us know.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

Post Know your area

needlejockey, that brings out one of my biggest sayings, "What you don't know CAN kill you".
    I am a firm believer in finding out as much as you can about the chemicals and hazards in your area before something bad happens. I think gober88 has just case for concern because until you posted that article, I wasn't sure about x-ray machines either. We do have a camera shop in our area and, at least here in NY, business that have hazardous materials have to annually file paperwork with the local fire department. This is part of NY General Municipal Law 209-u. Our county coordinator asks for copies of this paper work and I have a binder in our main response trailer that I keep these in. It at least gives me a place to start looking things up should we have a call at one of these places. The paper work is not very detailed, but it does give either a trade or chemical name to start with.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys, Thanks so much for the responses. I am currently trying to find out more info on this. Any I find I will post.

Thread Information