Forum Member

Default Firehouse Creates Dazzling Light Display

A Bright Shining Light:
    Firehouse creates dazzling light display

GENEVIEVE REILLY greilly@ctpost.com

Article Launched:12/08/2006 10:09:05 PM EST

TRUMBULL, CT They could have gone with a few simple wreaths. Maybe a string of colored lights here and there.

But volunteers at the Long Hill Fire Department had a much brighter idea for celebrating the holidays, bedecking Fire Station 3 at 4229 Madison Ave. with a dazzling light display that even out-megawatts Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."

The firefighters highlighted the entire firehouse with the holiday bulbs, and the decor extends to one of their trucks.

If that weren't enough, when visitors pull up to enjoy the eye-popping display, they can tune their vehicle's radio to 101.5 on the FM dial to hear music synchronized to the animated light show.

All told, there are about 18,000 lights on the firehouse and another 1,250 on the firetruck.

"That's really something to see when they get that started," firehouse neighbor Anna Maniscalco said of the lighting extravaganza. Maniscalco said she gives the volunteers credit for all the work that goes into the display. "I don't need to put any lights up here," she said with a laugh. And giving directions to her house isn't a problem once the lights go up.

"We started doing this about 10 years ago," Alex Rauso, assistant Long Hill fire chief, said, "when I was a captain." Rauso's early efforts have exploded into a display that not only lights up the night, but also helps draw attention to the fire company's annual toy drive benefiting the Trumbull Social Services Department.

"It takes about two weeks to do the house and another week to decorate the truck," Rauso said. The display lights up daily at 6 p.m. and runs until midnight through Christmas. Rauso said the first lights were purchased with about $100 from the fire district and donations from the volunteers.
    "We've built it up each year," he said. This year, GE donated lights to the fire company. "It's a lot of work," Jay Leos said, "but it's all worthwhile and a lot of fun."

The volunteers have also added another fundraising twist to the holidays.
    Trumbull residents can have Santa deliver a gift to their home via the decorated firetruck for a $40 donation to the department. Participants provide the wrapped gift to be delivered.

The highlight of the holiday season, though, is Long Hill's Fill A Fire Truck event today from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Station 3. The firefighters will collect new, unwrapped toys that will be given to Social Services.
    Santa will be on hand with beverages and treats available. There will also be a raffle with a Gearbox Volunteer Fire Department pedal car delivered to the winner's home by Santa on the firetruck as the grand prize.

"It's a little chaotic leading up to this week," Leos said, "but it's a blast."

For more information about the firehouse lighting display, the toy drive or scheduling a toy delivery, visit www.longhillfd.com .

Genevieve Reilly, who covers Trumbull, can be reached at 330-6256.

Watch a YouTube video of the Light Show HERE

Watch a quick YouTube video of the Truck passing HERE
    Last edited by xlonghillfd; 12-10-2006 at 02:22 AM. Reason: add link
    Ladders dont put out fires... water puts out fires... engines companies rule.

Forum Member

Well, I guess that beats the wreath we have hanging in the window...
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

WOW Can we say electric bill ! LOL Looks great !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

So I have to ask: How many generators does it take to make a fire truck "light up"? And, can you see to drive with all them lights on? Still, looks pretty kuul though. Actually that reminds me, Langford will be hosting their Annual Firetruck Christmas Parade soon, as will Victoria, with the Commercial Truck Christmas Parade. Gonna miss that again. Oh well, the Santa and Candy Cane Runs here will take care of that.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

IACOJ BOD

Oh I can just see the light whackers wetting their pants over THAT truck.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    So I have to ask: How many generators does it take to make a fire truck "light up"? And, can you see to drive with all them lights on? Still, looks pretty kuul though. Actually that reminds me, Langford will be hosting their Annual Firetruck Christmas Parade soon, as will Victoria, with the Commercial Truck Christmas Parade. Gonna miss that again. Oh well, the Santa and Candy Cane Runs here will take care of that.
    The truck parade was last weekend. I heard people were bitching because they had to stand out in the snow and cold .... LMFAO!!

One of the parades was postponed due to the storm. The Oak Bay one I think I remember them saying, and their Christmas Light Up ceremony ended up being cancelled completely, they just flicked the switch I guess.

The snow is gone now here, just some piles of black stuff in places
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Single Generator in the top well runs the whole show with ease... its lasts for about 4 hours before needing a refill. Driving isn't hard at all. The windows and mirrors are unobstructed. Not sure if its mentioned, but the truck is wired with a stereo system that blasts x-mas music.

The truck that we use for this is Satellite 203 which is the former FDNY Maxi-Water Unit assigned to E-207.

Ladders dont put out fires... water puts out fires... engines companies rule.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Wow.........

XLONGHILLFD, Thanks for sharing that. Amazing. And the Good Will created in the Community is a big bonus. A job truly "Well Done".
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

That's cool!

And while they mostly look like LED's, does the electrical inspector want to go near that building this time of year?

Nice Job.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Milstone 4 just scramed and Indian Point has declared a site area emergency.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

We don't dress 'er up quite as hard as you folks do up in Longhill, but we try hard. This shot is "pre-dressed" and I'll get something more updated on the weekend, when our Santa Runs start. And ya it has a stereo just for the "Masses" LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 12-11-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information