Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default can they do it??

I am a volunteer firefighter and I am having problems with my "other" job, they tell me that if I answer the page I will be fired for job abondonment, can they do this?? I live in Texas. Any thoughts or knowledge on this would be helpful , you can Email me at jmlow1@verizon.net

Yes they can. Just do your job when you are supposed to be at work and in your time off from work run VFD calls.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

YES, YES, YES!!!

The best thing that you can do is turn your pager off when you are at work. Some jobs do let volunteers leave, but it is up to the employer.

I live in Texas also, and there are no "right to volunteer" laws that I know of

Take care and stay safe!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Tell your bosses if they won't support your community efforts, you won't support their's.
    Better yet; tell them if you can't use company time to go on calls, they can't play golf on company time.
    Still, a better idea would be to either turn off your pager, do your job, go on calls on YOUR time or find a company who is willing to let you do that.
    I could leave work to attend calls. I was on SALARY.
    Good luck.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber nadeau526's Avatar

Check with your legislation because here is CT there is a bill that passed that states that you can not be fired for responding to a call that either causes you to be late and also if a serious incident is to occur they need to let us leave and respond to the call.

Forum Member

Default Of course they can...

...why the hell shouldn't they be able to?

There are a dozen or so states that protect volunteer firefighters from termination if the miss a day or or late as a result of being at a emergency call, but I am not aware of any state law that requires employers to allow employees to respond FROM work.

Forum Member

CF, harsh words from a practical guy.

I guess if the volunteer doesn't like his paying job and or could live without it you advice would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Tell your bosses if they won't support your community efforts, you won't support their's.
    Better yet; tell them if you can't use company time to go on calls, they can't play golf on company time.
    Still, a better idea would be to either turn off your pager, do your job, go on calls on YOUR time or find a company who is willing to let you do that.
    Good luck.
    CR

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in MI there is some protection from being late or missing a day. In order to have this protection leaving your job in the middle of the day to answer a call, you must be specifically requested or an 'all call' must be sent out.
    Reality is, if this becomes an occasional thing your employer will find a way to resolve the issue. This usually takes the form of hiring your replacement.
    Best bet - talk with your employer, come to a mutually agreeable resolution.
    Safest bet - turn off your pager

Quote Originally Posted by nadeau526
    Check with your legislation because here is CT there is a bill that passed that states that you can not be fired for responding to a call that either causes you to be late and also if a serious incident is to occur they need to let us leave and respond to the call.
    I'm sure the employer could just find another reason/way to get rid of some one.

Yeppers they can...I know my old employer would allow me to leave for structure fires only and when I did I had to punch out for the time I was gone

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As others said they can't fire you for being late because of being at a fire call, but they don't have to pay you for not being there. Nor do they have to let you leave. When I was in college (PA) I worked in the district but I didn't leave for call unless it was a confirmed fire already, and work was covered. When I was the one closing the store, obviously I couldn't go.

If you want to hammer out an agreement that they'll let you leave only if it's a confirmed fire, then that's one thing. But I wouldn't expect payment unless you make up the time. Depends on the job. If you don't work in your district, I wouldn't even be carrying the pager. Finding another job depends on how well you can pay the bills in the meantime. And I doubt in this economy you'll find many employers willing to let you leave once you're at work.

Forum Member

Default Just to be clear...

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    As others said they can't fire you for being late because of being at a fire call, but they don't have to pay you for not being there. Nor do they have to let you leave. .
    ...even this is not a sure thing. It depends on the law in the state. I took a quick look and was not able to find a statute in Texas that gives even this level of protection.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Even if the state doesn't have one the feds do. Employers don't have to pay for time not at the job, but it's an option to use sick or vacation time to cover it also instead of taking a pay cut for that time. The HR departments at both of the employers I have worked for in TX confirmed I'm covered either way. Had a crabby manager (not mine) that tried to bust stones on a few people for various reasons, other volunteers included. Funny how he's gone and we're all still here.

Forum Member

Default What federal law is that?

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Even if the state doesn't have one the feds do. Employers don't have to pay for time not at the job, but it's an option to use sick or vacation time to cover it also instead of taking a pay cut for that time. The HR departments at both of the employers I have worked for in TX confirmed I'm covered either way. Had a crabby manager (not mine) that tried to bust stones on a few people for various reasons, other volunteers included. Funny how he's gone and we're all still here.
    I am not aware of any such federal statute. Could you provide a cite?
    Thanks.

These are the parts that I was saying in jest and with some sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    CR
    Good luck.
    That was the part I was serious about.

Look; it's simple here in Illinois.

We have a law that states that an employer cannot terminate you for calling off work due to an incident or for showing up late for work due to an incident. Of course, documentation may be required.

However; once you GET to work, they got you. If you leave, the company can do whatever is their policy.

I know it sucks, but not everybody has our lofty community spirit.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 12-12-2006 at 03:26 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Here in Indiana the same thing goes, they can't fire you for being late or missing a day while on an emergency call but once at work you stay. Last year they passed a law that you have to get a paper signed by your employer stating you were not an essential employee. If they feel you are an essential employee they don't have to sign. There is a town of about 20,000 people in southwestern Indiana that has several factories and shops that WANT their firefighters to respond to emergencies. They are all volunteer with a paid Chief(this year is the first year the chief was paid).The town realizes their taxes would be higher if they went career. Letting them go during work keeps the taxes low and doesn't hurt the response time. Maybe your employer would understand why they should let you go.
    fm8611

Here's a different take.... Which one really pays the bills? Don' get me wrong fellas, I love doing what I do. But honestly, we ALL have bills to pay and mouths to feed... How many guys here have a job that will pay them to go on calls? I would bet not too many....
    Giggity - Giggity!

Quote Originally Posted by WMFF12
    Here's a different take.... Which one really pays the bills? Don' get me wrong fellas, I love doing what I do. But honestly, we ALL have bills to pay and mouths to feed... How many guys here have a job that will pay them to go on calls? I would bet not too many....
    The people who volunteer and are self-employed actually LOSE money to go on calls. I dig these types very much.
    When I was growing up, the community that I grew up in had such a strong sense of civic duty that, if you worked in any of the businesses in town, you were expected to join the fire department and leave work if there was a call.
    Ah, the good old days!
    Riding the tailboard...
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Ahh.... I smell what your steppin in there CR.... My employer will pay me out of some special account should I get a call, that's if it should come in before work, and even then there's a limit to it... They are a pretty community oriented company, and I guess they write it off at the end of the year. When I am at work, there's no point in me going, my job covers 8 counties. So I am a ways out....

Umm..... tailboard? Missed out on that.... I guess I am kind of a pup....
    Giggity - Giggity!

We used to call the Tailboard the "Beavertail".

Thread Information