Forum Member

Default Autocrib : Folding steel cribbing

I was wondering if anyone had used this:
    http://www.powerhawk.com/pg1art/Auto-Crib%20Flyer.jpg

(if the link doesn't work, go to www.powerhawk.com and click on the Auto-Crib link)

I realize that a limit of 2000 lbs each, it's not going to replace traditional wood cribbing, but I think that it could have some serious advantages with a typical MVC.

Any feedback on this item?

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting Gadget - if $$ were never an object I'd probably have a pair or two.

For your "average" on the flat paved surface MVA - they might be the "bees knees" due to their space saving properties compared to traditional Step Chocks & cribbing. However I question their effectiveness on grass, dirt, mud, snow, ice, uneven terrain, etc.

Also 2,000 lbs each isn't bad, that's a total of 8,000 lbs on a set of four.

As I see it from that one flyer & no hands-on time. . .

Pro's:
    Less compartment space that cribbing / step chocks
    Can be positioned such as to clear the working area of trip hazards
    Faster / Easier to deploy vs Step Chocks - Maybe / Maybe not - training issue on both sides.
    Safer that step chocks (if you're one of the people who does the brute force lift to help seat the step chock)

Con's:
    Cost
    Height limitations (vs cribbing stack - but this really wasn't meant to replace a 2' tall box crib either)
    Mechanical = Jam / Failure potential
    Limited stability on "less than ideal" surfaces vs. step chocks

Bottom line - sure I'd like to have some but not at the "expense" of removing the old step chocks. May also be a good item for Ambulances with Extrication equipment & Light Rescues provided they are supplemented by a "real" Rescue Truck with step chocks & cribbing.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

N2D,
    Pretty much the same thought/concerns that I had. A set on our (already crammed for space) first due engine would be pretty cool given that the rescue is on its way.
    I definitely agree that I'd question their effectiveness on anything other than an upright vehicle on a good solid surface. But then again, that describes a healthy % of MVCs.
    I'd love to take a set for a 'test drive' before shelling out 800 clams on a pair...

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw them in a training class a few months ago. Simple to use and pack small. I have a hard time justifying the cost when equilivant wooden step chocks are practically free.

Forum Member

Our department just got 2 pairs for our new rescue, they work if you take the time to figure them out. Old guys will always see them and just skip to the wooden versions... If you dont know what your doing with these they are basically a mouse trap and injury waiting to happen. First day i touched them (i was the one who picked them up and opened them, the thing shot open and scared the **** out of me.

Thread Information