Forum Member

Default Jeeps Brush/Grass rigs

Alot of departments use Jeeps for Grass/Brush units. I would like to see the difference between departments on how you place your equipment (hose, axes, watercans, brooms, what ever you carry on your grass rig). If you have a pic of your jeep post it. I will post ours later, I thought that I had a pic of ours however, I have pics of all the rest except the Jeep. And yes you can post all grass rigs not just Jeeps. Jeeps have the less storage so that why I would like to see the Jeeps.

Forum Member

Post Jeep

A department near me uses this for their brush truck.

Mumford Brush Truck
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow! That's an old WW2 era Jeep isn't it? Not a bad looking rig... front mount pump and everything!
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

How much water can you carry on a Jeep?

MembersZone Subscriber

the one dept. I used to be on ran a '54 willy's jeep, it had a front mount pump on it, which was used as a fill truck if you needed to get off the road as a fill site, so you could pretty much just get water anywhere you wanted! can't remember the gpm on it, since the pump wasn't on it when I was there, b/c something happened to the pump and they took it off, but we had like a 55 gallon tank ( sprayer tank) with an electric pump with a tee on it with about a 25' garden hose and a nozzle to take off the back, and on the other side, it had about a 3' section of hose that the driver could use if short handed, worked very well, only ever got stuck one time and that was b/c the dept. we was mutual aiding, said that's how they needed to go in, which was straight across a marsh!! it was I guess you could say a beater truck, but what would be better to take through the woods and not have to worry about hearing, you scratched the paint!!! also had a jeep pickup, which had a john bean high pressure pump mounted on I believe it was either a 100 or 125 gallon tank.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a 2002 Jeep Librity as a command vehicle (C-1). It sucks, way too small for day to day use let alone a bush vehicle. Although I have used it to cart firefighter and equipment around the bushes and fields. This Jeep dosen't work very well for bush/grass fires. I'd like a nice crew cab 3/4 ton Chev as a command vehicle.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook View Post
    A department near me uses this for their brush truck.

Mumford Brush Truck
    The picture is nice, but do they drive that in the woods? I'd think that with the suction on the roof and the holder for the suction would make it hard for driving in the woods with all the tree branches or what not. I'm not doubting the unit, after all it's a Willy's Jeep.

One of my guys sent me a picture of a nice brush unit a couple weeks ago. It was pretty neat and set up not all to bad.I'll ask for the web site and post it.

Forum Member

I like to take more than 100 gals. with me.We don't have any Jeeps so we use this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BDVFD784 View Post
    I like to take more than 100 gals. with me.We don't have any Jeeps so we use this.
    Yeah I know a 100 gals. doesn't seem like much, but it's not like you are using a 1 1/2" nozzle on the end. so it lasts quite a while, our brush fires do not get as big as the ones out west, if it's more than about 5-10 acres involved it's pretty bad here, we have a lot of cornfields, and small woods so it's not like we are trying to stop a couple thousand acre brush fire. We do use a lot of indian pack's also. the one's that really make me wonder is the one's that get hummer's and stuff like that, how are you gonna get that through the woods if need be!

Forum Member

We run 2 brush trucks. Our primary is a 1987 Hummer and our 2nd is a 1987 Chevy 3/4 ton. I will post some pictures when I figure out how to attach them to this post.

Forum Member

Here are a few pictures:
    Last edited by RES81CUE; 12-16-2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spell check

Forum Member

Default Our truck

Here is what my dept. uses. 2003 Ford F250.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Jeeps Brush/grass rigs

I found this Dept. in Virginia. Looks like a sweet rig. http://www.leesburgfire.org/apparatu...new_jeep1.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HEYVERN View Post
    I found this Dept. in Virginia. Looks like a sweet rig. http://www.leesburgfire.org/apparatu...new_jeep1.html
    Nice unit! Wonder how much $$, I'd feel bad taking that off road and beating it. But I guess it will happen sooner or later.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey DoubleJ, does your rig handle OK off road?
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

We now have 4 brush trucks at 2 different stations, unfortunately no pics, sorry.

1- Late 80s Dodge 1 ton 4X4.
    2- Early 90s Chevy 1 ton duelly 4X4.
    3- 1967 Military Jeep 4X4 pickup similar to the old M715 model. This beast is a blast!
    4- Mid 80s chevy 3/4 ton 4X4.

All of our trucks carry slide in pump units with 200 gallons onboard as well as an assortment of blowers, saws and rakes. It is not too rare to have more then 1 brush fire going at a time so we set each unit up to function independantly. Our first out brush alarm gets 2 brush trucks and a Pumper to act as command and water supply. I'll see if I can add some pics later.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WMFF12 View Post
    Hey DoubleJ, does your rig handle OK off road?
    It doesn't do too bad unless you try to climb a really steep and muddy hill. I got it hung up on a slope of about 45 degrees right after a rainstorm. We were searching for an ATV accident victim. I had to back it down the trail about 1 mile. Almost went over into a ravine. We put the current tires on to help some.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Impressive I must say DoubleJ.... I bet that was a heck of a ride you took, woulda puckerd me up quite tightly! I also hafta say it's a nice rig you got there, however.... I do like the Humvee...

We have gone thru the perpetual argument of "dualie vs. single" here for a while with our replacement. Single won... Our current rig is an 88 Chevy 1 ton, homemade, and it's an ox... Our new one is an 06 Ford 1 ton, still being put together, now the tires do help out, the Ford has those cheesy factory highway tires, and I don't see them to be much help, we put on those BF Goodrich off road TA's on the Chevy and they really have the bite, there's not too many places you can't go in that truck. As soon as I can figure out how to get some pics in here you fellas can have a look at ours... Wish me luck....
    Giggity - Giggity!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Impressive I must say DoubleJ.... I bet that was a heck of a ride you took, woulda puckerd me up quite tightly! I also hafta say it's a nice rig you got there, however.... I do like the Humvee...

We have gone thru the perpetual argument of "dualie vs. single" here for a while with our replacement. Single won... Our current rig is an 88 Chevy 1 ton, homemade, and it's an ox... Our new one is an 06 Ford 1 ton, still being put together, now the tires do help out, the Ford has those cheesy factory highway tires, and I don't see them to be much help, we put on those BF Goodrich off road TA's on the Chevy and they really have the bite, there's not too many places you can't go in that truck. As soon as I can figure out how to get some pics in here you fellas can have a look at ours... Wish me luck....
    Giggity - Giggity!

MembersZone Subscriber

Aw wonderful...
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WMFF12 View Post

Thanks. It's not a ride I want to take again. Several people didn't think I would make it off that hill. Neither did I.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

Forum Member

Well, ours is kinda a homebuilt Brushtruck. 2003 FORD F-350 duelly (sp?)crewcab, 6ft. flatbed, 4x4. It has been lifted 4in. with air-ride suspension. 300 or 325gallon box/hard plastic tank. 100gallon per min pump (5hr b&s). 200ft of 1in hose on a electric hose reel. Chainsaw, axes, brush rakes, trash hooks, 100ft of 1 3/4, pike poles, soon to be a wench in the front, brush guard on the front that can topple 4in trees, and soon to be a wench on the front.... For some reason we have been pulling other fd riggs out of the mud on grass fires. LOL. There is more stuff on the truck, but I cant remember all.. Seats 5 in full gear comfortly.

Forum Member

Not your typical "jeep", but a 1969 Willys Fire Jeep. Was privately owned by the Libbey-Owens-Ford Glass Company here in town. Then was donated to our explorer post. We used it for a number of years, and now it is in the Toledo Fire Museum. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't used as a grass rig.

http://www.toledofiremuseum.com/willys/willys.htm

This used to be our grass rig, the pump and tank were taken off, and it is now used as a Safety Officer's Vehicle.

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BDVFD784 View Post

My old department's Jeeps (1979 and 79 CJ 7s),had roll bars like that tender's.The rakes,flappers and axes are bungee corded in a rack above the seats.Yes,we check them before rolling as no one wants a headache added to the worries of the run.The hose is 100 ' of 1 1/2" with a sprayer nozzle on the end.We also have a 5 gallon Indian backpack on each one.
    The tanks are 80 gallons and we have 60 gpm electric pumps on them.
    The wish list for the replacements include a 500 gallon tank and a 250 gpm gas pump on the rear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    My old department's Jeeps (1979 and 79 CJ 7s),had roll bars like that tender's.The rakes,flappers and axes are bungee corded in a rack above the seats.Yes,we check them before rolling as no one wants a headache added to the worries of the run.The hose is 100 ' of 1 1/2" with a sprayer nozzle on the end.We also have a 5 gallon Indian backpack on each one.
    The tanks are 80 gallons and we have 60 gpm electric pumps on them.
    The wish list for the replacements include a 500 gallon tank and a 250 gpm gas pump on the rear.

You never know.... Maybe Santa will bring you one for Christmas...

Merry Christmas fellas!!!!
    Giggity - Giggity!

Thread Information