Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Chicago and FDNY ?

Hi guys, i was just reading an article somewhere about the Chicago Fire dept banning the use of fire poles, and FDNY removing most from their stations. Does this mean that their are no poles in any chicago houses and just a very few in FDNY? or does it mean the brass are just discouraging their use. Thank you,

Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ma17461
    Hi guys, i was just reading an article somewhere about the Chicago Fire dept banning the use of fire poles, and FDNY removing most from their stations. Does this mean that their are no poles in any chicago houses and just a very few in FDNY? or does it mean the brass are just discouraging their use. Thank you,

Matt
    Matt,

I can't speak for Chicago...however in NY the poles have not been removed...this is apparently some rummor or misinformation you have recieved.

I know of at least 2 new firehouses one being built right now and one that will built within the next few years that last I head will have poles in them.

With the increased attention paid to response times lately around here...I sure the Chiefs would do everything but discourage the use of the poles for a turnout.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

The only time poles have been removed in NYC is when the space was needed for running utilities during renovations....but still leaving others in the house in place. Dont belive the rumors...poles are alive and well in NYC, and used everyday throughout hundreds of firehouses without incident.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys, the article i read, which i cant seem to find now of course, did state a lot of the poles were being removed for a/c ductwork etc, so i guess that makes sense. My firehouse doesnt have a pole but ive been in plenty that do and i can see why the benefits greatly outweigh the risks, like anything else, if your careful and pay atttention to what your doing you shouldnt have any problems. Ive personally seen 4 people tumble down the stairs at my station like big goofy lookin slinkies, so a pole may be in our future. Thanks again,

I have heard some station hasve removed them due to knee injuries from hitting the ground too fast... not sure if thats actually true or not though.

We don't have them at our station.

Forum Member

Poles are alive and well here in Chicago.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Chicago FF, thanks for the reply, on a different note, do you happen to have any pictures inside or out of the backdraft station as it is today?

Forum Member

It was a NY Times article from a few months back. Stated they were removing them from the stations, cant remember why.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ma17461
    Chicago FF, thanks for the reply, on a different note, do you happen to have any pictures inside or out of the backdraft station as it is today?
    No but it was E-65's house. Maybe you can find some on the net somewhere.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Thread Information