Forum Member

Unhappy Clicks in the Firehouse

I have been on two years, worked hard, kept the mouth shut, and been welcomed by all in my department.

Problem: There are three main groups and they dislike each other.

Clicks if you will... I thought I would not find this in the fire service, where teamwork is key.

Anyone else experience this? I am so totally confused, I'm sure I'm just not seeing something here, being that I have only been on for two years.

I am sure there is a comprehensible and legitimate reason for this situation.

If anyone could please explain or share experiences.

I'm specifically speaking of a twenty-five-person station that is paid-on-call.

Thanks In Advance.

Forum Member

Talking

Clicks are every where. Our Department has 3 groups as well.
    1) **** and Vinegar - The Guys who love the job are good at their job and hated for it. Always striving to be better at their job.

2) Good Ol Boys - The guys who have been in 20 yrs or more hate the new Fire Service and methods. But guys you can go to because of their experience. Do a lot of bitchin but hard workers.

3) Calender Boys - The guys and gals who thought firefighting was wearing a T Shirt an getting the title Hero when in fact they are best left at the hall because the useless on a scene. These guys consist of the boys who kiss more ***** and Suck up to the Good Ol Boys.

No matter what click your in on a Job the attidudes are left at the hall if not youll know about it very quickly.

Just do your thing..Dont kiss no ***** and DO YOUR JOB. If a click dont like yah. Who cares..

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I believe the word you are looking for is "clique", not "click".

Clique ...

clique
    One entry found for clique.

Main Entry: clique
    Pronunciation: 'klEk, 'klik
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French
    : a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons; especially : one held together by common interests, views, or purposes
    - cliqu·ey /'klE-kE, 'kli-/ adjective
    - cliqu·ish /'kli-kish/ adjective
    - cliqu·ish·ly adverb
    - cliqu·ish·ness noun
    Click ...

Main Entry: 1click
    Pronunciation: 'klik
    Function: verb
    Etymology: probably imitative
    transitive verb
    1 : to strike, move, or produce with a click <clicked his heels together>
    2 : to select especially in a computer interface by pressing a button on a control device (as a mouse)
    intransitive verb
    1 : to make a click
    2 a : to fit or agree exactly b : to fit together : hit it off <they did not click as friends> c : to function smoothly d : SUCCEED <a movie that clicks>
    3 : to select something by clicking -- often used with on <click on the icon>
    - click·able /'kli-k&-b&l/ adjective
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary

Clique ...

Click ...
    Well, there you have it!

We have these groups as well:

1) **** and Vinegar - The Guys who love the job are good at their job and hated for it. Always striving to be better at their job.

2) Good Ol Boys - The guys who have been in 20 yrs or more hate the new Fire Service and methods. But guys you can go to because of their experience. Do a lot of bitchin but hard workers.

3) Calender Boys - The guys and gals who thought firefighting was wearing a T Shirt an getting the title Hero when in fact they are best left at the hall because the useless on a scene. These guys consist of the boys who kiss more ***** and Suck up to the Good Ol Boys.

IACOJ BOD

Something tells me you will find these categories wherever you work in whatever job.

Now what was it that told me that.

Oh, yeah, experience.

Move to your own drum, make it loud enough to get ahead, but not so loud it draws enemy fire.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

HI

I am n firefighter and paramedic in south africa and believe me "cklicks" play in any service around the world.Being in the service for two years you have to know your house by now, and adapted to your situation ALWAYS remeber the reason why you became a fire fighter "we chose to be there" Ive seen to many good fire fighters leave the service because of clicks.Talk to them and just be your self. The next time they go in to a fire or intubating a pt you must be the one to be counted on

cheers

Forum Member

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA62
    Clicks are every where. Our Department has 3 groups as well.

No matter what click your in on a Job the attidudes are left at the hall if not youll know about it very quickly.

Just do your thing..Dont kiss no ***** and DO YOUR JOB. If a click dont like yah. Who cares..
    We have the same situation in our department. I dont consider myself a part of any of them, and because of that receive little respect. Do what you are there to do, and do it well. Learn every opportunity you have and show up all 3 groups.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Correct me if I'm wrong...

but aren't there cliques in every (un)organized group(s)? Best, thing to do is not align yourself with any sepcific one.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

There are cliques everywhere. While I have them at my station, I choose not to get involved in any clique. While they are playing around and gossiping, I'm trying to learn and become a better firefighter. You'd be suprised how much better you'll be on a fireground.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Cliques / Clicks

trizahler26:

As you have read these, you should understand that "Cliques" will be just about everywhere you go. I work in radiology (X-Rays), I'm a volunteer firefighter. In all the hospitals, prison (Worked as x-ray), imaging centers, and even at my own volunteer department they all have "Cliques" in common. I've even noticed it at other fire departments that I train with (For better mutual aid relationship, and to help keep my own skills up).

I'm guessing it comes from peoples natural tendency to be with people who are just like themselves whether it be jocks, geeks, nerds, ect. But the principle is the same. This is how "Cliques" form and expand just about everywhere you go. It's human tendency.

You are right to do the best you can to avoid them. In my humble opinion (We all know what they are like and that everyone has one): Stay friendly everyone regardless of the "Cliques" and learn from the experience they are willing to offer but don't let them draw you into them and make you start taking sides. I say this because to completely avoid them may give them the attitude of you don't like them.

Forum Member

We too have these "groups" in my department. I don't want to call them cliques as that word has a negative connotation to it and that is not how I view the groups in our department.

There are groups which generally associate with each other in and out of work. These guys have a lot of common interests and seem to share and enjoy many of the same values and passions for things. In and out of work I see similarities within the different groups and I see the people with whom I feel I more closely aligned. I don't believe it is a bad thing to realize these differences. Now it could be that our situation is nowhere near as bad as some of you and that may be why it doesn't seem a big deal to me. I could also be being naive about this, as I am very new to the fire service.

In every other aspect of our lives we surround ourselves with people of like values and like interests. As long as it doesn't get in the way of our professional duties I don't see that in our profession things should be any different.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cliques

I have been on for just over a year now. There is always going to be groups of firefighters who have more in common and seem to get along better. The great thing I have witnessed, is that no matter the clique we all come together on the fire scene.
    This is where it counts. So my advice is to be yourself and do your job, learn from others. It will all come together when it counts.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks All!

I understand now, thanks for the replies. I guess I just though that while at the firehouse we could transcend our personal lives, interests, goals, ambitions, and attitudes

to

talk, act, train, and work as a team wether we are in the firehouse or out on a call.

I just figured firefighters were a complete team and you leave all those other things I mentioned above at the door of the firehouse and pick them back up when you leave.

Well, I will heed all the good advice I have read here and continue to keep my mouth shut, work/study hard, and be sure never to align myself with anyone one "clique"

Forum Member

"clique" has such a negative conotation. I am a member of a so called "clique".

We dont think of ourselves as one, but we are called one. We are all freinds who hang out at the firehouse together and run calls together and enjoy what we do.

We are called a "cligue" by some of the older members, but we really arent. Anybody can hang out with us, we talk to everybody, and get along with everybody.

This is just to inform that not all "cliques" are negative. If you have a group of freinds who you like to hang out with, just do it, dont worry about what others call you.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the clique(s) is starting to create tension in the hall, then it is up to the leadership to fix it.

We have them; by age, previous relationships, and experience to a lesser extent (i.e. probies/rookies vs senior men). I have seen no tension or inefficiency caused by them. It is just part of the natural social environment. I can't sit and talk for an hour with a 19 yr old anymore about how they got wasted on the weekend, but I can talk with the older guys about a home reno project or family matters.

When the tones drop, it all goes away and they get the job done. I would expect nothing less.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

we have clicks in our department too, they are not major however. everybody gets along and nobody really hates eachother except for a few people who almost everybody has a dislike for.

Forum Member

I would say my dept. is probably split in two groups. One group consists of the 4 paid people who are the officers and a few of their chosen favorites. They see themselves as the key personnel and the hardest workers. They complain non-stop about the second group. The second group consists of the rest of us and we complain about the other group because they are always complaining about something or looking for some reason to gripe at us. Each group gossips about the other group all the time. It gets old but I've belonged to 3 different volunteer departments in my days and it wasn't much different in the other two. However it never seems to get in the way of getting the job done and that is what is important.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Wink Not only but also

There are another group that gets confused with the "clicks/cliques"--these are the "Empire Builders"

This little lot start off in a cliquish way (usually with management tacit aproval see below)then as they get bigger they usurp the status quo and do a takeover--now you have two factions at loggerheads.

This is known as the divide and conquer method--used a lot by management to keep everyone in a state of flux--this is a very affective tool.

Cynical-moi? Never!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post

Clique ...

Click ...
    And then you have guys like this....which is the group I usually belong to.....SMART-ASSES and KNOW-IT-ALLS!!!

LOL! Just pokin' at ya Calgary!............

Forum Member

Sadly, our department has clique's as well. Just the same as high school college and everywhere else.

1. The Good Ole Boys
    2. The Get A Lifers (some of #1 are in #2)
    3. The rest of us, including me.

My view is simple. When the tones go off you show up and do your job. Sucking up just ticks me off and "living" at the station means you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

bombera4life
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department also experiences a division among the members, but it isn't really a clique. It has more to do with the fact that our department has two substations, and that most people will group together with the other members who run at their substation.

I absolutely hate it. I feel that we are all one department and need to act as such. Members get upset over not being able to be the first due truck in their area, even when they don't have enough manpower to man the truck in the first place. It causes alot of tension between all the members, even those of us that don't fall into these substation "cliques".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    Sadly, our department has clique's as well. Just the same as high school college and everywhere else.

1. The Good Ole Boys
    2. The Get A Lifers (some of #1 are in #2)
    3. The rest of us, including me.

My view is simple. When the tones go off you show up and do your job. Sucking up just ticks me off and "living" at the station means you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
    Brian, same in our station. It's sad but true. When I first joined, I couldn't wait for the pager to go off but then realized after my first year, show up, do your job, learn, and go home safely.

My friend recently joined and he thinks we get calls everyday. I don't know what to do to help him other than let him experience it himself as I did.

Thread Information