Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Installing lights

hey everyone...i need some help..i just got some Sho-Me Microlites and want to install them in the back window of my 99' Ram 1500 ext. cab short bed. and inputs on how i would mount them? suction cups are out of the question because i have a sliding rear window. i have 4 lights..(2 blue, 2 amber).. and would like them to go Blue/Amber on the left side and Amber/Blue on the right side....any reccommendations on how to mount them? thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by BFDENG5
    hey everyone...i need some help..i just got some Sho-Me Microlites and want to install them in the back window of my 99' Ram 1500 ext. cab short bed. and inputs on how i would mount them? suction cups are out of the question because i have a sliding rear window. i have 4 lights..(2 blue, 2 amber).. and would like them to go Blue/Amber on the left side and Amber/Blue on the right side....any reccommendations on how to mount them? thanks in advance

Gets his umbrella out and prepares for the s**t storm.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber nadeau526's Avatar

get some brackets and mount them to the headliner or if you have the full backseat with headrests mount them to the headrest!

Forum Member

If you go to the Sho-me web site (http://www.able2products.com) they show a bracket that goes in the head liner to mount the lights. They look like they would be cheap to fab up or just order from your light supplier.

Forum Member

I have a 96 Ram and mounted some cheap flashers in the back window. I went to Lowe's and bought a piece of metal that has the holes running down the middle and it was about 1/8" think. Can't think of what it's called. Anyway, I cut 2 pieces about 6" or 8" long, bent them in an "L" shape and inserted them between the glass and the liner along the back wall. Then cut 2 more pieces, bent those in an "L" and butted them against the inside wall and fastened the two together with a nut and bolt. Not very sophisticated but it works great. Kinda works like a clamp on the inside liner where the cargo trays are.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

MembersZone Subscriber

uh oh bill has whacker lights lol just kidding

Forum Member

WHAT, you guys are allowed to fit lights !! Thats got to be a recipe for disaster!!

A massive no no in Australia, in fact its illegal!!

Duct Tape.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Duct Tape.
    Or a big tube of super glue.
    You might check with the local stereo installer or maybe there's a shop that installs lights for the local SO/PD that could do the work.Maybe check with members that already have lights in theirs and offer to pay for them to install yours.

Forum Member

hey everyone, just thought i'd post an update on the lights. I ended up fabbing up some brackets out of some flatstock metal, prolly like 1/4 inch wide by 1/16 inch thick by like 2.5 inches long to add to the standard bail mount bracket that came with them, that way i was able to mount the standard bracket to the slider track for the rear sliding window using all-weather (because it was the strongest) double side stick tape. then the brackets i made came down on an angle so i could mount the lights...hard to explain but it came out really clean looking and you cant see the lights from the outside unless they are on. now before i get bashed for having lights in the rear window, they are for added visibility at an MVA if i dont make the engine.

check out copstick's

awesome lights

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Duct Tape.
    Only if reinforced with bailing wire.

The ones in my grill are attached by zip ties

Cool Lights

Are you referring to your POV? If so then you REALLY do need to check out the laws regarding lights in your area.

It may be different in your area, but in mine you can have the following:
    Facing front: Clear or amber
    Facing rear: Clear, amber, or red.

I have amber lights only on my truck for the purpose of scene safety ONLY (NOT driving down the highway with the lights flashing). I never did and I still don't have any desire to have lights on my vehicle because I have learned that studies show that driving with lights on actually increases the chance of being involved in a accident.

.........I think I walked through this mine field carefully............
    Last edited by XRaysJL; 01-17-2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Forget a comment

Forum Member

Default hmmmm.

I don't know how it is where you live but if you don't have lights and you got a ways to go to get to the scene then you are pretty much f!@#$%. I mean you still need to check the laws but I have been a volunteer for a long time and I can not remember a time or department I ave worked on when nobody has lights. as for my twp. we are allowed to run red and clear lights. no blue. the second department in indiana I vollied on still only runs blue lights but it does not matter the directiona lot of our guys have full light bars, window hideaways and flashers in the head lights!

Default question

Is there a link to post lights for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by FJinDFW View Post
    Is there a link to post lights for sale?
    Yes there is!!!!

It's a new place.........called EBAY!!!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information