Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The SC Rollover

MembersZone Subscriber achief15's Avatar

Unhappy The SC Rollover

I am sure that I am not the only one that was very surprised and shocked at the destruction of the cab of the engine that rolled in South Carolina yesterday (Dec 14, 2006). http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...3&sectionId=46

I am curious as to what brand of apparatus it is. I'm sure there are other factors in the collapse, but that looked like a newer model truck. Unbelievable. Pray for those guys. A couple of them were seriously injured.
    Glenn Rainey
    Colington Fire Department
    Dare County, North Carolina
    The Outer Banks

MembersZone Subscriber nadeau526's Avatar

Here is another article on this crash. http://sconfire.com/news/12-15.htm
    This article states it is a 2000 Laverne engine.

MembersZone Subscriber

It looks like a Spartan Chassis Cab to me. If you look on their website they have a picture that looks like the wreaked unit that comes up some times when the web site is opened. Looks like a Spartan.
    http://www.horrycountyfirerescue.com...ion=Statistics

I hope the injured member's recover quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by nadeau526 View Post
    Here is another article on this crash. http://sconfire.com/news/12-15.htm
    This article states it is a 2000 Laverne engine.

I hope the firefighters make a speedy recovery. It's a shame that these accidents occur!! But they do, And after reading the above article on the other site I feel the comments made by the PIO are and were inappropriate. I understand if they need another station or what not but thats not the way to go about it.
    Last edited by dday05; 12-15-2006 at 08:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SC rollover

The pumper is a Luverne on a Spartan, one of ten delivered to HCFR in Feb 2000. The pumper went off on the right shoulder, came back across the road to the left shoulder, then back again to the right when it rolled onto its roof into a ditch. Still moving forward, it impacted the driveway that was edged with what appeared to be sections of a power pole. If you look closely at one of the views of the drivers side, you can see one of them that looks like it is supporting the cab. It was fortunate that an off-duty Lt assigned to E-40 was close behind and took immediate action.

As for the PIO, his views and opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of the membership. But they will undoubtedly add fuel to an already simmering problem.

As of this afternoon, the three hospitalized FFs well considering. While they will probably have a long recovery, the initial prognosis appears to be good.

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Also be aware, be safe, and have a Merry Christmas from HCFR. Remember the firehouse.com webcast on rollovers to be broadcast on Tuesday, 19 Dec 06.

Quote Originally Posted by sizeitup View Post

As of this afternoon, the three hospitalized FFs well considering. While they will probably have a long recovery, the initial prognosis appears to be good.

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.Also be aware, be safe, and have a Merry Christmas from HCFR.Remember the firehouse.com webcast on rollovers to be broadcast on Tuesday, 19 Dec 06.

Good to hear the firefighters are on a road to recovery!! Happy Holidays to you and your dept as well.

As I said in another forum (not sure which one) seems like theres been alot of fire apparatus incidents this year.
    Last edited by dday05; 12-15-2006 at 05:31 PM.

I'm glad to see from the www.horrycountyfirerescue.com web site that all the firefighters have been sent home.Philip is from our area here in Ohio, and this incident has opened some eyes up I think . It goes to show that anything can and will happen.

Thread Information