Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Performance Evaluations

Hello,

I am looking for anyone who can direct me to any case or labor laws that state that an employee does not have to legally sign a performance evaluation. Illinois or Federal laws would be most helpful.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only thing you are doing when you sign your performance evaluation is acknowledging receipt of it. You are not saying that you agree with it, only that you received it. You do not want to refuse to sign it as it is not in your best interest.

You are permitted to make comments and/or attach a rebuttal to it. Realize in doing so that you are making a statement (in more ways than one). I would encourage you to take a long, hard look in the mirror and determine if this is the course you wish to follow. A supervisor who is documenting performance on an evaluation is doing his or her due diligence. Your part in the process is to improve your performance for the next rating.

Making comments or attaching a rebuttal to the performance evaluation is similar to swatting at the bee hive with a broom. Choose your actions wisely. You should give some serious thought to your next course of action.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default Performance evaluations

This is firespy.

I should have stated that I am a supervisor looking for guidance on this subject. Recently at a staff meeting one of my fellow Lieutenants made the statement that legally no one has to sign an evaluation. I am looking specifically for any case law or labor law that backs up his claim. I do not think there is such a law, but if someone uses the word legally, then I would presume there is such a law. I agree with all your comments.

Thanks for the imput.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand. I thought you were an employee who was asking the question.

I don't believe there is such a law. As I stated, a signature only means that you have reviewed the evaluation.
    Stay safe,

Some Guy

Just out of courioisty is anyone permitted to have of copy of your OWN elvauation? I think in the past I asked for one, but I was denied? Ours are coming out next month.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, you are permitted to have a copy. I don't believe they could deny giving you a copy. That is highly unusual.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool How it is here.....

I talked to my cousin who is a Lawyer. She has stated that you have a right to receive a copy of any document that you have signed. The main thing with Work Performance Evals really comes to light when the person being evaluated is going to be terminated. Performance Evals can give the ammo needed to help terminate an Employee, however the Employeee can still argue that if there were deficiencies, why wasn't a Retraining or Remedial Training Program implemented? Now the Employeer has to prove that the Employee performed at sub-standard levels.

I am currently writing the Performance Standards for one of my Departments. We are trying to "nip this problem in the butt." Each Engineer will have a copy of the Performance Standard and be Tested according to these Standards. The bases I am using are: IFSTA, the Federal Gov't and our State Curricculum.

The best advise I can give you is set up a consultation with a Labor Lawyer (or whatever they are referred to in your State) and bounce any questions, comments or concerns off of them. Most consultations are free of charge.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information