Forum Member

Default Wildland fires in the National Guard

I want to get in to Wildland firefighting. Right now, I'm looking into either starting out in the National Guard, or joining the California Forestry. Would the National Guard be a good move? How does their firefighting work? What the chances I would end up in some other type of firefighting (oil fires, air craft, etc)? Would staying a Civilian be a better move for me?

For the record, I have my Paramedic, and an Associates Degree in Outdoor Leadership right now, I'm not sure how that would effect anything in the National Guard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your chances of fighting wildland fires on a regualar basis with the National Guard are slim.

Your best bets are the federal agencies, USFS, BLM, NPS or CDF is you are in California....
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Look at US Fish & Wildlife too, they have a fairly large fire program but not many think of them for fire jobs.

You might get some fire training and even make it to a couple of fires with the National Guard but I wouldn't count on it and outside of aviation the assignments military units get on fires are not really that great anyway, its rare to see a military unit get any hotline because the fire experience usually isn't there to keep them safe.

If you want to join the National Guard thats fine but I wouldn't do it expecting to go to fires, it just doesn't happen that often.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I had no idea Fish & Wildlife had fire, I'll have to check that out.

Forum Member

Smile Options

Futureresq,
    That's good advice you were given. I have fought many a fire in the Military, but it is always emergency related and always as a last resort. The Military does have fire fighters in the Army, Air Force and Marines. The training is tops, but they focus their curriculum more towards aircraft fires and things of that nature. I f you are looking at Wildfire, the National Guard is probably not for you.

Thread Information