Thread: Cardio Programs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cardio Programs

Hi all...

Im looking to start an intermediate cardio program to expand my breathing capacity. I workout daily(weights), usually doing my cardio on an elliptical or treadmill 2-3 times per week lasting from 20-40 mins depending on schedule, but seem to get winded when on the streets or during my morning runs. Im currently in recruit school and want to be able to keep up with the rest of the class and maintain a high level of lung capacity during such exercises like running. I have never been a "runner" and so forth. I have in the past and currently do something like a 90% high intensity 2-3 mile power walk and try to encorporate jogging in the mix...otherwise I'll have no problem with weight training and other forms of PT.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Try this

I work out on a circuit that has 10 min high intensity cardio then 2 strength/weight exercises....the key is to blast the area you are going to work out e.g do 10 min of strength program on a bike at say level 10 and then do 3 x 8 reps on leg press then straight into 3 x 10 of dead lifts or 50 x bosu ball squats.
    My Program has 4 x cardio sections and 12 strength exercises. The last cardio set is on a rower and the distance acheived at the end is the measure of cardio fitness.....be warned this program knocks you around and you definately need a rest day.
    With this program I went from being a "slogger" - put a 130 lb pack on me and I could walk all day but don't as me to run ........to being a person who actually craves my daily runs
    Give it a try and let me know how you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are doing cardio at 90% on elip. inside for 30 to 40 it sounds more like a running problem than a cardio problem. There are alot of people that are in good condition but have never been taught to run properly. Do you know any "runners" from school or local clubs? If you have some friends, go for a run with them have them check your stride, foot strike, and posture. Or do an online search for running, look for articles on proper form and maybe some stretches.

If you want to increase your cardio capacity spend the $75 and get a Polar heart rate monitor. Working your heart too hard is a typical probelm. Get the monitor and stay in your zone and watch your capacity take off!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMtnsFirey View Post
    I work out on a circuit that has 10 min high intensity cardio then 2 strength/weight exercises....the key is to blast the area you are going to work out e.g do 10 min of strength program on a bike at say level 10 and then do 3 x 8 reps on leg press then straight into 3 x 10 of dead lifts or 50 x bosu ball squats.
    My Program has 4 x cardio sections and 12 strength exercises. The last cardio set is on a rower and the distance acheived at the end is the measure of cardio fitness.....be warned this program knocks you around and you definately need a rest day.
    With this program I went from being a "slogger" - put a 130 lb pack on me and I could walk all day but don't as me to run ........to being a person who actually craves my daily runs
    Give it a try and let me know how you do.
    Thanks!! I'll give it a shot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by futureFF22030 View Post
    Hi all...

Im looking to start an intermediate cardio program to expand my breathing capacity. I workout daily(weights), usually doing my cardio on an elliptical or treadmill 2-3 times per week lasting from 20-40 mins depending on schedule, but seem to get winded when on the streets or during my morning runs. Im currently in recruit school and want to be able to keep up with the rest of the class and maintain a high level of lung capacity during such exercises like running. I have never been a "runner" and so forth. I have in the past and currently do something like a 90% high intensity 2-3 mile power walk and try to encorporate jogging in the mix...otherwise I'll have no problem with weight training and other forms of PT.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    FutureFF, I use to be the same about running. I hated running. I could run on a treadmill for 30 min and I could road bike for 50 miles no problem, but could barely run a mile outside. My wife is a triathlete and she, along with all her running friends, told me a treadmill is not even close to actually running. When on a treadmill you are only keeping up with it, not actually propelling yourself forward. So I just started running. I would run as far as I could 3 times a week and then sprints, hills, and stairs 2 times a week. Really, you just have to get out there and run. I started at only running a 5/7 of a mile and I am now up to 4 miles in about 40 minutes. It took me a couple of months. I hurt many days and wanted to stop all the time, but I finally got use to the normal running pains. So I encourage you to go run daily and push through the pain. You can go to a local running store and ask them about your shoes, very important, and your stride. Good luck and remember just keep your feet moving.

Forum Member

I avoid treadmills at all costs....even in inclement weather. Street running provides a much better cardio workout IMO.

I also find throwing stairs into my runs helps a lot. I live in a neighbor hood that sits up on a hill. I can run a nice 4 mile loop on relatively flat terrain....or I can loop down into the lower section of the neighborhood and hit the different staircases that link the upper part of the nieghborhood to the lower part. There are like 5 stair cases in all....run up one, run a block or two, down one, another block or two, up one......etc, etc.

One staircase is something like 74 stairs....and steep. I like to try to run the stairs as fast as I can, then run briskly on the flat sections. I usually set an 8 min/mile pace and this gets my sustained heart rate around 160 bpm. I alternate this with lifting days.

If you can find a highschool stadium/track that features stairs.....incorporate some stairs into your runs.

Take it to the next level and add some weight (weight vest.) That will kick your butt proper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks to all for the advice, I recently went on a run in school and I noticed that it wasnt really my breathing that had a huge issue it was a combination of breathing, ankles and my quads that kept me slow. I'm just going to suck it up and deal with the aches and pains later...The breathing part wasnt so bad after the first mile, it was more my legs..I'll post more on my progression during my PT training and so forth. Once again thanks for the advice and motivation!

futureFF22030

MembersZone Subscriber

Default intervals

all very goos input.
    Try this:
    I would suggest leg press sets alternating with eliptical or stairclimber... Start with a lighter weight on leg press, and do a set of 10. Keep adding weight on the leg press. Swap back and forth quickly between the leg press and the cardio machine. Got up in weight on the leg press and down in reps until you are at 4 reps. Keep intervals of the cardio increasing intensity and resistnace, and 1-2 minutes long.

This will improve the quad problem, and increase your VO2 max...

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Thread Information