Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default has the maddness stopped

Hi all: After lurking and reading the posts here, we feel like we are having a stay of execution. We have not seen any changes in our 1099a to date. Also, from reading here it seems as if all the monies are spoken for and it is a matter of time before we receive our DJ letter. I hope this isn't true but can someone shed some light on the process so far.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firelaw View Post
    Also, from reading here it seems as if all the monies are spoken for and it is a matter of time before we receive our DJ letter.
    You must have been only reading a few posts. Only around 50% of the money has been given out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are some stats.

$490,000,000 funding available (up to that limit)

$228,300,080 expended (47%)

$261,699,920 remains (53%)

Forum Member

Default Yes but,

Maybe ony 47% actually awarded, but I'd bet at least 75% is committed with all of those already in the works. (10Q's and 1199A's)

I know we have no way of knowing for sure, but just given those that have received their links and questions, I would say time is fast running out for those that have not heard anything. Maybe 2 to 3 more weeks tops? PLEASE someone argue with me !!!! lol
    Joe Fireman

MembersZone Subscriber LFD1MICHAEL's Avatar

Cool

I know we have no way of knowing for sure, but just given those that have received their links and questions, I would say time is fast running out for those that have not heard anything. Maybe 2 to 3 more weeks tops? PLEASE someone argue with me !!!! lol[/QUOTE]

It sure looks to me like the beer mug is still 53% full.
    Wait it out, you never know for sure (good or bad) 'till the email hits

Default Click..

At this point I feel like the wounded bank robber in 'Dirty Harry'.

'You're looking straight down the barrel of the most powerful firefighter grant program in history..the Assistance to Firefighter Grant. One award
    can blow your SCBA problems clean away. We've awarded at least half of the money, and quite a few more are loaded in the system. Now in all the confusion I can't remember if I've sent you a Dear John letter or asked for your 1199a update or not. Your odds are changing everyday.

Now you've got to stop and ask yourself...do I feel lucky? Well, do ya...punk?'

And the whole time, I'm sweatin' and thinkin'....

'I gots ta know, man, I just got's ta know.'

Pull the trigger already!!

(My apologies to Clint and his fans everywhere)

MembersZone Subscriber

Methinks we need to resurrect this thread for timmct:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83956

earl

I'll argue with you all day long guy. 53% remianing, is 53% remaining. IMHO DHS and firegrant support are intentionally spacing the awards and 1199a postings to avoid the onslaught of questions which arises after every award announcement round, as departments race off to the suppliers. Firegrant support is still using the same number of personnel that they had three years ago, no increases in manpower yet, a steady increase in # of applications needing to be processed.

It ain't over till its over brother. Bide you time, keep your fingers crossed and stop procrastinating over the maybe's. The best offense is to have a good defense. Get busy on getting that 07 AFG application ready to go in the event of bad news, plan to attend a seminar. Don't be idle and sit twiddling your thumbs in anxious anticipation, or needless worry.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Wait up a minute......

First off, most of what I said was "tongue in cheek", it wasn't a personal attack by any means. I was simply pointing out with almost half of the money awarded, my guess would be a much larger percentage is already in the works. From what I have seen of people who have the 1199A and 10Q's but have yet to get an award, we would be fools to think there isn't a larger percentage already committed. They have to prepare somewhat in advance. I realize why they release these things in increments, but that has nothing to do with what I said. I pretty much indicated I was making a guess and really have no way of knowing the total figures relating to departments who will be awarded and have not yet seen the questions or the link.

As far as the rest of what you said:

"It ain't over till its over brother. Bide you time, keep your fingers crossed and stop procrastinating over the maybe's. The best offense is to have a good defense. Get busy on getting that 07 AFG application ready to go in the event of bad news, plan to attend a seminar. Don't be idle and sit twiddling your thumbs in anxious anticipation, or needless worry."

That's a pretty broad statement for someone that doesn't know me. For the record, I've written law enforcement grants for the DOJ for almost 20 years, most of them successful. Years ago I taught several classes in grant writing, and when the AFG came along I helped many many departments get awarded. Last year alone I helped with or wrote 8 AFG grants myself for both my department and for friends I have in this area of the country, and we were awarded 5. My department itself has been successful the past 3 years running, and we are still in the wait for this year. And as far as the '07 grant.....it's already done and ready for the next round. So as you can see, I do anything but "sit and twiddle my thumbs"....I was simply making a comment that the clock is still ticking and time will run out at some point.

And one last thing.....I would think it is perfectly normal for people to get excited or worked up over this process. Maybe this is just no big deal for a "professional grant writer" but for many of the people in my neck of the woods it can mean a great deal. I know of one department in particular that now has their fist brush rig ever, thanks to this program. Until last year, they would respond to the city shop when the fire whistle blew, and the first ones there would shed the bail forks on the back of thier pickups and slide on a water tank. After throwing a quick strap over the tank, they would drive over to the local water tower and use some of the quarters they store in their glove box to fill the tank and then they would respond to the fire. They paid for thier own gas and the water they used. The total budget for that department was less than $2,000 per year. Thanks to this program, they now have a brush rig and bunker gear. Mybe not much to you and I, but it was the world for them. So excuse me if I fret just a little.
    Joe Fireman

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hell, pro or whatever you want to call doing this full-time, I get excited every time I get to make a happy news phone call, and I run the gammet on the bad emotions when I have to advise of DJs. Every app I work on whether it be from scratch or just a read of what someone else wrote, I still want it to get funded. I don't like no's for anyone, especially those with good projects and true funding needs. Everyone that presses the Submit button has some hopes and dreams attached to what they just put together, emotions are a part of the game. If we didn't care we wouldn't be in the Fire Service in the first place.

Forum Member

Hey hey hey...everyone slow down. I have written the grants for my department since day one. I am a lawyer and a captain on a fully career department. I have had some successes and some losses. I guess the point of my first post was it seems like the horse is out before the race started and although there is 53%+ or - of money left it appeared from many posts all was spoken for. Like I tell my shift, no fighting because they beat us by divide and conquer. The fire service has always been the redheaded step child over the police when it comes to everything. If we split and fight over issues......... unity unity unity... we need the funding. Remeber- Many of the FIRE DEPARTMENTS IN THE UNITED STATES OPERATE 2 OF THE 3 EMERGENCY SERVICES.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

More than 53% is spoken for, but not all of it. At least 25% of the apps haven't been notified that they will be funded, if not more than that. Out of the almost 19,000 apps, probably 8000-9000 were out in the computer denied DJs, and another 2000 give or take were in the latest round of DJs for the Peer Denials. So out of the eventual 5000 awards, there are probably somewhere around 4000-5000 still in the game. My ballpark guess is that with nearly 2500 awards out, another 500 are sitting with the 1199A and questions. So 2000 spots left, give or take.

And I was just agreeing with FFCOPEMT that this is an emotional roller coaster for most people, me included. It's fun, it sucks, it's fun, it sucks. It's like golf sometimes, it is what you did on the last hole.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    And I was just agreeing with FFCOPEMT that this is an emotional roller coaster for most people, me included. It's fun, it sucks, it's fun, it sucks. It's like golf sometimes, it is what you did on the last hole.
    The only thing difference between this and golf is I can't afford enough beer to keep me happy with the grant game until the 18th hole.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is strictly "tongue and cheek" but with a Federal Judge handing down that it was "unconstitutional" to discontinue Katrina relief aid, maybe the Fire Service should find a Federal Judge to declare it unconstitutional that not all citizens are afforded equal emergency services protection. Why should poorer citizens/communities be afforded less protection. I can't think of too many worse vilolations of my life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness than to watch a loved one die or my house burn because my community could not afford to staff or maintain adequate services (NFPA 1710). It has worked for education, economic development, and other social issues, why not Emergency Services. Again, just tongue and cheek, but it does ring with irony that we will declare war to protect against something that might happen (terrorist attacks) yet not fund to protect against what we know will happen (fires, rescue, ems, ect).

Thread Information