Thread: Employment

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Employment

I am caught in a tough place right now. I love firefighting and it is what I do in the military. I want to get out and be a civilian firefighter. I alot of certifications to include fire officer 1. I also will have my four yr degree in four months. However, I am skeptical of how much the military or my 5 yrs of firefighting experience will really help. I know that many departments have a strenous application process. Therefore, I am unsure of when to start applying. My dream would be to walk into a dept when I get out of the military. Can someone give me some insight as to what to do to better my situation and chances of getting hired and when the best time to start applying would be?

Forum Member

You probably won't be able to walk into a fire job the day you sign your discharge papers.

Every city is different. The big thing is to figure out where YOU want to be, and work your damndest to get there. If you like New York, aggressively pursue New York. One thing to think about though, as others on here have said tons of times, is watch out for limiting yourself. If you're willing to move and go where the jobs are, it's gonna open up a lot more doors.

As far as when to apply, start as soon as you can. Most places it's at the very least months to wait before you get hired anyway. Some places can be years. Either way, GOOD LUCK!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you jerry for your input. I do have to keep an open mind. The big thing is that I get on at a big city dept. Thank you again.
    Kevin

Forum Member

Just apply at every major dept you can... even if it takes a few applications keep trying and dont let yourself slack off from working out and staying in shape. But all of the certs and experience wont really help you much for major dept, theyll most likely require you to go through their academy anyway. But just keep trying youll eventually get on.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I alot of certifications to include fire officer 1. I also will have my four yr degree in four months.

Do you want to strictly be a firefighter or Maybe look into officer stuff, with a degree around the corner and if you push out ALL of your ones maybe you can test for an officer position... Opens up more options, just got to be flexible.

Thread Information