Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default De-energizing a structure

I am interested in hearing how other departments handle de-energizing a structure at a working fire. We have a power company representative shut power down at the meter, drip loop, or pole at the IC's discretion. Power is also shut off at the box in the house. We don't have a specific SOP for it. I like the drip loop or pole shut off because I have seen houses energized with the meter pulled when a fault allowed power to come in on the neutral. So, how does everyone else do it?

Shutting the power off in a building fire is a priority handled by our truck companies. Initially, as a truck company we will try to pull the main, or catch the circuit breaker. This doesnít shut all of the power down, but it does help.
    We rely on the power company to actually cut the power to whatever building weíre operating at. Usually they are quick to get on scene, and their policy is to cut the drop loop, but I have seen them cut service lines.
    We donít pull meters, and neither will the power company.
    We have cross-trained with them a number of times, and have an excellent working relationship. They have instructed us as a company on a special ops level, as well as a department wide in-service for all. Conversely, we have taught at their in-serviceís, so they could understand our operations and concerns at a fire.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

we are not allowed to, for any reason, handle the power situation. we cant pull meters or anything. however, when we are dispatched our dispatch center will automatically call the power company. however since the power company is located on the other side of the county it sometimes takes a little time to get there, depending on the time of the day. but we do have a guy on our department who is works for the power company, and if he happens to be on scene on with us we will sometimes let him handle it.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

We will shut off the disconnect (if equipped). The power company will either pull the meter or cut the drop at the pole. Large commercial or industrial, the power company will pull the fuses at the transfomer. Many of our industrial facilites have their own electricans who are on site prior to our arrival.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Power Corp handles all the De-Energizing of structures for my dept
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Pine Bluff

B/C will pull the meter. Or first officer on first due company. We also call Entergy (Local Power Co.) They have been doing this forever.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the departments here used a PD shotgun to take out the drip loops. Improvise, adapt, and overcome I guess. But it sounds a little silly to me.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

I once had an instructor that said "Find a big tree limb or something, open the meter base cover, and hit the meter really hard and it will rock out." Funny thing is, I'm sure he knows from experience.
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 12-27-2006 at 10:34 PM.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Thread Information