Thread: New Concept

Forum Member

Default New Concept Fire Truck. What do you think?

I was out at the Minnesota fire chief's convention in Duluth, MN. I saw these guys from CTV Fire. They told me that they were a new company and that this was there first trade show. They had a hook lift that fits into an OEM Pick-up bed. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? It was awesome. You could change a Utility truck from a grass rig to a Rescue truck in less than two minutes.

The reason that I'm asking is that my department is looking at purchasing one of these units, and we've never seen anything like it. Is there any competition for these guys? What are the draw backs? Do you have any good ideas for the different units? We want to purchase three flatbeds but we don't know exactly what to put on them. Do you have any opinion for me in my decision making at all?

Thanks

CTV Fire
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FiremanLos; 12-20-2006 at 11:37 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm curious, do you have to keep the tank empty to load/unload the brush skid? I'm assuming so since the unloading process would likely cause the spillage of a lot of water

It looks like a neat idea, but I don't think it'd work in all areas. We have brush fires all year round. Having to swap beds prior to a call wouldn't quite be efficient. If we could set it up and leave whichever bed was appropriate on it for a while, it might be worth while.

Forum Member

The concept of swapping out various types of apparatus bodies, depending on trhe type of incident isn't new. The Feuerwehrs von Deutschland have been doing it for years.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default I've got shots

I have some shots I could send you of a 2006 Freightliner M2 with a hook lift and interchangeable body -

PM me if you want more info

Forum Member

Default Water tank

The CET skid unit that they were displaying had some nice caps on the poly tank, if water was lost due to the loading angle it would probly be minimal. They also told me that this model was capable of lifting 5000 pounds but the truck had an axle limit of about 3000 pounds.

Forum Member

Default Water tank

Plus up here in a colder climate we only have grass and wildland fires in the hot summer monthes.
    Last edited by FiremanLos; 12-19-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Forum Member

Default An example

This one is from a MA department. It has swap body for brush (300/500), mobile power, and HAZMAT. The company that manufactured it is located here: http://www.swaploader.com/spotlight.asp

Looks lie a good setup. Also, these threads have some good ideas.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ght=PODs+units

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ght=PODs+units

credit to firenews.org for photo

Forum Member

Here's a link to one that's made here in British Columbia
    http://www.trucktransformer.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

The Army has been using the Palletized Load System for about 20years. Excellent logistical tool.

Fire Service is about on schedule for something "new".

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not that far behind

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    The Army has been using the Palletized Load System for about 20years. Excellent logistical tool.

Fire Service is about on schedule for something "new".
    I remember some Maryland and Virginia FD's using similar units twenty some years ago. They called them pods back then.

http://www.rvfd.org/news&events/2006...l/beall4lg.htm

Forum Member

We have been using the POD system here in Australia for a number of years, although not in this way, more so for de-con units, heavy rescue , USAR etc.
    Looks like a good idea, but for the amount of brush fires we do, its probably a bit slow.
    Darren

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Cool concept. Website looked best when viewed in IE.

Seems like you could store the truck with no unit loaded in it but the "hook lift" in the unloaded position. Couldn’t you then just wheel the specific unit (brush, rescue body, ect) into the lift and load? I cant imagine it taking more than two minutes to accomplish this. Seems like in most stations you are always waiting for one or two more guys to respond anyway and the first one through the door could have the unit ready to roll.

I think the rescue body loaded with RIT or tech rescue equipment would rock as you could dump it next to the working area then go back to the house and load another application. Has anyone out there had any luck with the pull type trailer systems? Seems like it would be tough to maneuver through town or off road.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is pretty neat. I could only imagine what kind of mess you'd have if nothing was secured inside of these things.

MembersZone Subscriber

In addition to the military, this idea has been marketed to the public works industry for at least 15 years. I think it's a great idea, depending on how it's applied. I'd skip the pickup, though, and go for something with some real capacity.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the concept behind them are great. I have used them for military applications and they are awesome. The reason I don't think it's "taken off" in the fire service yet is firefighter's sense of urgency. For the purpose the PLS is used for the military, there is no "immediate, need it now, life or death" involved as it is mostly used for transport. In the fire service, we want what we want now, not in the 3-5 mins it takes to transfer the PODS out. For ex. You are a rural area with a lot of farms, but a few rivers/creeks. You keep a brush POD on the truch 99% of the time. Then you get banged out for a water rescue and it takes an extra 5 mins to changeover. For most fire dept's, that is too much time. Of course, this is just my opinion. Have a good day.

Forum Member

Smile

JTFIRE80 has some good points. In most paid on call or volly departments it has been my experience that down time exists while waiting for additional man power so changing out of a unit may not be a big deal. I would rather go into battle late with the proper equipment than get there sooner without? Up here in Minnesota we typically need to hook up to a trailer for tech rescue or water rescue and that takes several minutes jockey equipment and then to hook up. I also suck at backing up a trailer. Takes me 5 tries to put my personal boat in the water. (When the ice is off the lakes!)

Forum Member

Depending on your hydraulics there is NO reason a properly configured pod unit cannot be loaded and ready to go in LESS time than it takes you to hook up a trailer.Especially if you equip the pod with a rearview camera.If you leave the transporter unloaded you should be able to select a pod and be road ready in about three minutes.Not bad when you consider the versatility.In some places I believe these ould be a good alternative to buying several specialty rigs.T.C.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Fast loading

Actually, you could load this rig in about 45 seconds.

For example; If I were to have this truck in the station with no "pod" loaded in it and the hook down in the "ready" position, I could back the truck up to the appropriate "pod", hook-it, lift the front of the pod off of the ground, pull the truck (and pod) out of the bay and close the door (while still loading the pod), and have the pod loaded before the bay door hit the ground. I think that is fast enough for me. It really only takes about 30 seconds for a pod to load, but it takes about 2 minutes to switch out from one pod to another. but that's pretty fast too. Some of the large roll-off trucks take about 4 minutes just to load, and you might have to get out of the truck too.

The cool thing about this lift assembly is that it is the ONLY one that fits into the OEM truck bed of a truck that we ALREADY own. So we don't have to purchase a new truck. We don't have to go to a city council meeting and beg for them to let us use the money that we already have for a new truck. (sorry, my city council is a pain) We just buy the package deal, and the unit installs to the truck in about two or three hours. Done.

Photo courtesy of CTVFire

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dano8696 View Post
    Looks to me like its JUST for Salvage or pick-up for department trash.

Mike

I EXPRESS OPINIONS UNTIL I HAVE FACTS!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireBuffR1L2E3 View Post
    Looks to me like its JUST for Salvage or pick-up for department trash.

Mike

I EXPRESS OPINIONS UNTIL I HAVE FACTS!
    If you would "stop expressing opinions" and pay attention to photos, you'd see that on the "POD" it says "F D N Y COLLAPSE POD 5"
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Here are some other applications that looked cool. Scroll down the page to see the "PODS".

http://www.kimbertonfire.org/apparatus.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    If you would "stop expressing opinions" and pay attention to photos, you'd see that on the "POD" it says "F D N Y COLLAPSE POD 5"
    But still it looks like a DUMPSTER

Mike

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireBuffR1L2E3 View Post
    But still it looks like a DUMPSTER

Mike
    Or one of these:

It's a cargo container, not just a dumpster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Default Dumpster? Maybe.

True, it may look like a dumpster, but it's really a steel shipping container. The reason that they chose to use that style of body, is because it is extremely secure, very hard to break into and can be left outside in the elements for very long periods of time without any maintenance. So they can keep the containers stored just about anywhere but in a station, taking up valuable space. Containers are relatively cheep too. One really nice feature is that the entire container is steel, so it is very easily modified and retrofitted for any type of equipment. These things can be made to fit any type of situation and can haul load as heavy as 65,000 lbs. if needed.

So, are there any positive comments about the original thread?

Thread Information