Forum Member

Question Could I get some advice?

Alrighty I'm 16 and apart of my towns junior program. I get to go through all of the same training as they do however I find it difficult. I am a very small girl 5'3" and 136 lbs I'm pretty strong for my size I only have 30% body fat, its difficult for me to move around in my gear because it is too big, I have a hard time going up the ladders and even going up stairs. does anybody have any advice on what I could do about this problem?

I'm also have a difficult time opening and closeing the nozzle of the hose when the hose is charged. Does anybody have any advice on how I can cope with this problem so it wont be so difficult for me?

Thank you
    Amber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bellcord View Post
    Alrighty I'm 16 and apart of my towns junior program. I get to go through all of the same training as they do however I find it difficult. I am a very small girl 5'3" and 136 lbs I'm pretty strong for my size I only have 30% body fat, its difficult for me to move around in my gear because it is too big, I have a hard time going up the ladders and even going up stairs. does anybody have any advice on what I could do about this problem?

I'm also have a difficult time opening and closeing the nozzle of the hose when the hose is charged. Does anybody have any advice on how I can cope with this problem so it wont be so difficult for me?

Thank you
    Amber
    First I'll admit I'm not an expert on physical fitness, especially compared to others on this forum. But I know how it is when you ask a question and would like an answer so I'll do what I can.

About the gear being too big? Is it possible to get a smaller fit? Keep in mind there has to be air space between you and the liner of your gear. It's like a layer of air protection. So it's going to be big somewhat.

Do you have a hard time going up ladders and stair because of the gear being big? Is it still hard to climb ladders and stairs in plain clothes?

About the nozzle: That's shoulder, tricep, and bicep work. Do some bar curls, reverse curls, and bent rows. Make the weight heavy enough so that when you do the exercise by the 8th time you're about to reach failure to where you can't do them anymore.

Forum Member

I dont have a problem climbing stairs in normal clothes. My coat to my turnouts is too long, it goes about down to my knees.

Thanks for the advice for the nozzle problem too, I think that will help, I've been lifting weights not for a while, I guess I'll just increase the weight I lift.

Thanks again for the help

Forum Member

Amber,

First of all Merry Christmas!

Secondly, you need gear that fits! Having to worry about your pants falling down is more than a pain in the butt, it's dangerous. It presents a trip/fall hazard, especially when on a ladder.
    Talk to whomever is in charge of supply and see if you can have either new gear ordered, or your current gear altered.

So far as the strength issues are concerned...Weights and practice and are your friends. Get with someone in the department, or a local fitness club that can show you the best routine(s) for your specific needs.

Good luck!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

thank you for the help, they wont order me gear because I'm only a junior fire fighter, the pants being too big isnt that much of a problem its the coat that is, it limits the movement of my legs because the coat goes down to about my knees, I have a hard time going up stairs and the ladders when I have the coat on properly, I dont have a problem when its not all fassened.

bombera4life
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

im having the same problem, although i can still do everything in my gear its just a whole lot more difficult for me than it is for the other firefighters. my biggest problem is my gloves. i didnt think it was too bad until we had a training session using the buddy breathers on our MSA airpacs. twice because of me having absolutely no dexterity in my fingers while wearing the gloves i ran out of air and panicked and ripped the mask off my face. good news is after watching that happen the supply officer of our deparment is ordering me new gloves

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bombera4life View Post
    im having the same problem, although i can still do everything in my gear its just a whole lot more difficult for me than it is for the other firefighters.
    yeah I still can do everything its just alot more difficult, and it doesnt help that my department does have alot of small gear and there are alot of us small people on the department

Forum Member

Not to be a dick, and not to say I don't trust you, but 30% body fat is kinda high. Possibly you have miscalculated?

In either case, that doesn't really matter. I think your hardest part will be getting turnout gear that fits you properly.

As for opening the nozzle, and whatnot, just lift some weights, and practice good techniques for gripping the nozzle properly and getting good leverage.

Good luck.

bombera4life
    Firehouse.com Guest

my gloves are the only real problem with my gear... my turnouts are too big but the only problem they give me is the fact that i can't get my leg up high enough to step into a truck... even our F-350 super duty brush trucks.... i have to either take a running jump or pull myself in with my arms... a couple times the guys were in a hurry and just picked me up and threw me in... LOL.. I'm just worried that we will have a fire before they can get me some new gloves and i will run out of air and not be able to get hooked up to my partners buddy valve...

Forum Member

yeah I cant step up high enough to get to the next rung on the ladder so I have to use one hand to hold my coat up while I go up, but that was too difficult so next time I'm just going to unfassen the very bottom latch on my coat for training purposes, afterall once I can go on calls and everything I should be getting new gear that actually fits.

Well I hope that your glove problem is fixed soon, have you talked to any guys on the department, some of them might have gloves that are too small for them, we have that problem quite a bit, thats how I ended up with gloves that fit my small hands, I just traded with one of the guys

bombera4life
    Firehouse.com Guest

we had a structure fire last night and while we were there i was informed that gloves had been purchased for me... so i'm really happy

now it's just a matter of waiting for them to come in...

Forum Member

well thats good that gloves are being ordered for you. Some guys on our department found a solution for my problem, we decided to roll my coat up a little bit for training and what not

bombera4life
    Firehouse.com Guest

got my new gloves the nite before last... it's amazing what a difference it makes... my fingers being in the ends of the gloves and all...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bombera4life View Post
    got my new gloves the nite before last... it's amazing what a difference it makes... my fingers being in the ends of the gloves and all...
    lol must be nice But i'm not saying anything to my guys yet since i'm one of the few who has new gloves. I'll say something about ordering smaller ones when we get the new turnout gear lol.

But better fitting gear will help A LOT! I couldn't find any bunker pants here to fit me! Luckely my ex had some from the rescue squad we use to be on and they allow me to actually step up into the truck instead of crawl lol Although I do step on the bottoms of them.. Oh well.

Forum Member

i have the same problem with the gear being too big. I just turned 17, and am only 5'2". 114lbs. Our department had some problems with buying new gear for people, then having them stop responding to calls, and never seeing the gear again, so they are very reluctant to order new, not to mention i am still too small for any of the gear. So far, I have just let them know i would really appriciate new gear, have recieved boots and gloves that fit, and have kinda learned how to deal with the gear I have for the time being...(you have to learn to move your weight a little differently, etc...) I think this is a very common problem in many small departments (I am a member of a small volunteer dept) especially when it comes to gear for women. I guess my only advise would be keep after them, and show you are willing to help and are devoted to firefighting.

Thread Information