MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Tell us why this FD?

Why do some FD ask for us to write a 250 to 500 word essay about why we want to work for their department? I undersatnd that they don't want to be a setpping stone for someone, but am sure that most of us don't look at it like that( at less i don't). I know that sometimes we have an idea that we want to really work somewhere and never really give thought to what other FD have to offer. So I guess I'll keep saying what I have been saying I'll go to which ever FD calls me first and give my self to them cause of the faith and trust they have in me. I guess my question to all this is what is a good way to express to them why their FD. I mean I can tell them Population, Budget, number of FF/medic ect... but that they already know. If anyone can help... please help. thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rubenb1978 View Post
    So I guess I'll keep saying what I have been saying I'll go to which ever FD calls me first and give my self to them cause of the faith and trust they have in me.
    And you might wonder why you're not being called back?

I guess my question to all this is what is a good way to express to them why their FD. I mean I can tell them Population, Budget, number of FF/medic ect... but that they already know. If anyone can help...

They might already know but they want to know if you did your research to find out.

Ask yourself this question. What are they really giving you if they gave you the job and badge?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are telling them about their budget, square mileage, and population you are completely wasting both yours and their time. Believe me, we already know those facts. This is not an exercise to see how well candidates can paraphrase the Chamber of Commerce pamphlet, or the fire departmentís website.

The reason you want to work for XYZ fire department is because you have intimate knowledge of THE DEPARTMENT, not the stuff about the city.

Open your heart and be passionate about what it would mean to you and your family, if you are lucky enough to be allowed to represent THEIR department.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks BClepore

Thanks for your feed back. I had a good idea that they don't want to hear any of that. I will put my heart into this essay and express to them that why it would be an honor to work for their department.

Forum Member

Not only what has already been mentioned but they also use this as a way to see how your reading, writing, grammar, and punctuation skills are. If your grammar, or writing, or anything for that matter is not up to par, how are your written EMS/FIRE reports going to look? What if you have to submit some type of report or research? Just many things they could be looking at.

Forum Member

Default Shot Gun Effect

Itís not uncommon to be asked the questions why do you want to work for this department and what do you know about this department? If they ask why you want to work there, while they have the gun loaded you can add in a smattering of city information to tie your creative answer together.

The best way to handle this type of question about the city and department is to use the shotgun effect. Give them a smattering of areas like square miles, population, type of city government, number of stations, engines, trucks, number of personnel and target hazards.

What would you think if you were on an oral panel and the candidate gave you a sample smattering answer? Right, you would think they had done their homework.

You donít want to go endlessly here. Just a sample smattering. I had a candidate one day tell us so much he got down to the grid water system the city used. Definitely overkill. Another candidate during coaching had a good answer for city information. In the next two weeks before his oral he piled more information onto his answer. He ended up making a long answer endless, finally telling them the number of convention hotel rooms that were available. He committed suicide in his efforts to over impress the panel. Oh, yeah, this is the guy we want to put in a station that would drive everyone Nuts!

This mindless, endless, rambling not only hurts your score, it robs valuable time that you could be using to let the panel know the important stuff that could improve your chances to make the final cut.

So back to my original statement: Ask yourself this question. What are they really giving you if they gave you the job and badge?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

It's all about research, man..

You love their trucks, their engines, heard it was one of the best departments to work for, the great customer service they provide, the equipment, job security, the shift, have an excellent medic unit, you've always wanted to live here (if you're relocating), etc.

Thats what I wrote about and it definitely worked, especially if you sincerely mean it.
    Last edited by ACfire1; 12-21-2006 at 02:33 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

ACFire,
    You are right on the money!

Forum Member

Default Info

Coeur D'Alene Fire had a candidate who was testing and was asked about why their city. He responded to tell them "Their Mission Statement" word for word. It sure impressed them. He now works for them and is an excellent employee.
    So you never know what they are looking for. I say cover it all and let them sort it out.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you all for your input. I wrote my essay and wrote in how great their FD is and how I would love to start and end in career with their FD. Again yhank you all for your help. I did my best and am sure it will pay off.

Thread Information