Thread: LAFD Psych

Forum Member

Question LAFD Psych

Hey! I wanted to know if anyone took LA City's written and passed the math and reading but didnt pass the 2nd part, the Psych. I thought it was one of the easiest test I have ever taken, recieving a 93 on my math and reading but failing the Psych, by 1 point. I was shocked. It said I lacked customer service skills. Im not sure how I failed customers service when I have worked in customer service for 4 years and have a B.S. degree in Business Management. If I were to go back and take the test again I would change maybe 3 answers. Just curious if anyone else failed and what they think. Also is their any other Psych books out their besides the one Don Mcnea fire school offers?

Thanks

Forum Member

Question

This is not intended to be a stupid question....

But are you a Paramedic?

Forum Member

Did you have an interview with the doc?

Forum Member

No, I am not a medic. But I dont think that matters when one is taking the written test.

Captbob: Im not sure what you mean by "doc". Have you ever heard of someone getting their written test scores mixed up. When I took the written test, I turned in the Math and reading scantron a couple hours before I turned in the psych scantron. If so, how do i go about finding out? When I took this test i was so confident after, the answers to the questions were "black and white." I would change maybe but 2-3 answers if i went back and took it again. Your response would be greatly appreciated

Forum Member

LA City's testing process can be like a black hole. Some breeze through. Other's spend a year or more and never heard a thing or they go forward in the hiring process.

LA City has been using a CWH written test. Like a lot of these entry level tests they contain many psych based questions to eliminate candidates early on in the process where you might later fail the psych after they have spent a lot of time and money.

For LA City if they want to know more after the initial test they will ask. If they want still more they will set up an appoinment with the doc.

If you've received a letter you're out of the process and can test again in 2 years.

The letter arrives informing you that you are out of the process. Youíre devastated. You donít know why. You want to know. Maybe thereís something you can do, someone you can talk to convince them youíre the guy they need; there has to be a mistake. Just give me a chance to prove myself. Your calls go unanswered.

What do you do now? You feel hurt, angry, frustrated and betrayed. Well, there is not much you can do. If you push too hard you might hurt your chances of getting on somewhere else. Even if you are able to get someone to talk to you, you probably will never really find out why. It just happens sometimes for whatever reason.

My advice. Go through the denial, anger, and depression. Lick your wounds and accept what happened. Then, regroup and get back out there and test again. If you made it this far, chances are you can do it again. Maybe with a better department than you hoped for.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 12-24-2006 at 10:22 AM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Question medic ?

I asked because they give a hiring preference for Paramedics, you hear of some depts. "bending rules" and relaxing standards to make exceptions for a something that they are in need of... ALS provdiers, Bi-lingual, etc... well anyway good luck and dont give up, Peace on Earth.

Thread Information