12-21-2006, 10:47 AM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2003
source for senior fire prevention
Any one have a good source for a fire prevention program aimed at seniors ? I know NFPA used to have one. but I would prefer something a little less pricey.
12-21-2006, 04:53 PM #2
I made up my own program with elements of:
Stop, Drop and Roll
Crawl low under smoke
Home Escape plans
How to call 911
The things I stressed in the senior home escape plans were:
1) That when the grandkids arrive for a stay, they need to practice getting out. They may instinctively try to follow the plan made for their own home and fail or may make it out and not know where to safely meet you.
2) Walkers, canes, wheelchairs, hearing aids, glasses and a PORTABLE PHONE etc. do not belong parked on the far side of the room. Keep them by your bedside, you need to be able to access them right away.
3) You may not be able to get all the way down to the ground, but get as low as you can.
4) Smoking and O2 do not mix
5) Choose the smoke alarm that suits your needs ie one with a strobe light or higher decible audio alarm. Whatever works to get you out.
This is just off the top of my head; it was a first run at a program for Seniors.
If anyone else has ideas, I'd be interested to hear them.IACOJ
If you are willing to teach;
I am willing to learn.
12-24-2006, 11:41 AM #3
- Join Date
- Apr 2004
- Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
United States Fire Admin (USFA) has an excellent senior program available for free. Just click on the website USFA.gov.
01-12-2007, 11:57 PM #4
- Join Date
- Dec 1998
- Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
www.homesafetycouncil.org -- join the Expert Network (free). Most of the materials are free or require you just paying for shipping. They cover more then fire, too.
They have Spanish versions and "easy to read" versions. They also have a program for adults who can't read.
http://homesafetycouncil.org/expert_...racy_w001.aspx"When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
-- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Diane E in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & FundingReplies: 69Last Post: 10-18-2005, 02:07 PM
By Diane E in forum Fire Prevention and Life SafetyReplies: 0Last Post: 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM
By SMCAPT7 in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 11Last Post: 03-18-2005, 09:26 PM
By ameryfd in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & FundingReplies: 0Last Post: 06-18-2004, 02:59 PM
By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 1Last Post: 08-12-2002, 05:57 PM