Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Hey Scotts48
    Did you ever get to NB Personel and get a copy of that list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Negative man, got caught up in overtime this week. Ill try to get there asap though.

Sorry to inform yall, but if you didn't get a letter for a second interview you will have to wait because they have been hiring those guys and Girls. Sounds like a lot more people leaving over the near future. Possible for another big hire for the summer.

MembersZone Subscriber

KCK, where are you from???? I know someone in NB with those initials

Default Tight quarters at the academy.

I can confirm that there will be 70+ in the March academy and the next class is shaping up to be just as big. CFA has had to order bunk beds for all dorm rooms to accommodate the influx and schedule extra burn days in Springfield so everyone can get some play time.

If you made it, congratulations. Be prepared for a few bumps along the way as they have never had a class this big before and are still trying to figure out how to make it all work. They're getting pointers from the folks at the Mass Fire Academy where they've been dealing with oversized classes in an undersized facility for three years now.

Forum Member

70+ at CFA. Good luck to that class, that will be a nightmare. I went through a few classes ago with 20+ and they had trouble with the size, they are nowhere close to set up for a class that large. Did they switch to 14 weeks yet? They will have to soon if they increase class sizes like that. Good luck to you guys!!
    Last edited by callaway75; 02-04-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: miss type

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I have a 99 avg score and here I sit... So dont feel bad anyone, regardless of score.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneb911 View Post
    Well I have a 99 avg score and here I sit... So dont feel bad anyone, regardless of score.
    Ummm... yeah.... NO ONE has a 99 average score...

We have the lists printed by overall score order at the firehouses and I have a copy of the list from personnel (in order by name) on my lap.... that 94 was after the 5 vet points, not before... if I'm looking at the right "Shane B".
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Adze39 View Post
    Ummm... yeah.... NO ONE has a 99 average score...

We have the lists printed by overall score order at the firehouses and I have a copy of the list from personnel (in order by name) on my lap.... that 94 was after the 5 vet points, not before... if I'm looking at the right "Shane B".
    HA, thats funny, good call out Adze.

MembersZone Subscriber

Before you try to make someone look bad why dont you get more facts... Is that the list that they put out BEFORE correcting themselves? Like forgetting to add the other 5 points for my disabled vet points for a TOTAL of 10 to make it a 99. And ya, I am that Shane B. And very proud of those vet points.

My post was not to boast or have any other ill intention it was mearly to sympathize with other canidates who are high on the list and did not recieve a letter this month. So to the canidates and firefighters of New Britain good luck and hope to meet/work with you soon.
    Last edited by Shaneb911; 02-09-2007 at 09:54 PM.

does NB give 5 points for disabled?

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments including New Britain offer 5 points for Veterans with an honorable discharge and another 5 points for VA acknowledged disabilities. But you should be carefull that the injury isnt too big that it would disqualify. You have to ask each human resources dept. I have found that almost all dont even advertise unless you ask.

Good Luck! BTW are you VA connected veteran?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneb911 View Post
    And very proud of those vet points.
    And you should be proud! I wasn't trying to knock you for having vet points.

Regardless of the extra 5 or not, you are pretty high on the list... if it was ranked... good luck to you, sorry if I sounded like a dick. Our common friend assured me you had the 5 disabled vet points.

I believe they should hire by score, so I hope to see you on the job in the future!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys check this site out. Not related to this forum but very interesting reading.

http://www.helplawlor.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know how many more there looking to take off this list? I heard 15 for the June class and maybe another 15 next year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im sure that they will hire for all academy classes this year. Plus next year is a different story.

Forum Member

Ive also heard about the possibility for another 15 in june too from guy's aready on in new britain.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveyY View Post
    Ive also heard about the possibility for another 15 in june too from guy's aready on in new britain.
    Anyone hear anything about when they are going to start selecting new candidates for the chiefs oral, or if they are going to even hire more for the June academy?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would imagine that it would be a month or so before. Kinda what they did last time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark21 View Post
    Does anyone know exactly what NB FD is looking for in a canidate?

Do certs matter? Being a resident? Minority? EMS backgrounds?

thanks for the info

In response to this it is my understanding as others have said that they will take who they want. Last time around I was told it was extremely political and they were getting pressured to fufill affirmative action requirements. As for certs, NB has EMS and all they require of firefighters is to be an MRT as they are 1st responders. I am sure having more can't hurt you, but ya never know. Being a minority and a resident and female I'm sure will only boost your chances in getting into there Dept. Its frustrating to me to bust your *** on the test and oral to not have it ranked and have them pick who they want from the list. I haven't recieved my results yet, hopefully they'll come in the mail today.

Good Luck
    Cheers
    Mark

Mark, it is very political....I have obtained "the list" from an unnamed source...by looking at this list i can tell you they hired the first 4, after that it was scattered all over. In-fact they hired number 129 out of 156. He is not a vet and not even a resident of New Britain... I would say some politics are involved... if your interested in a copy of this list send me a msg

Thread Information