Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umuc

MembersZone Subscriber

Default UMUC & Live-In

Has anyone ever attended this college for Fire Science? If so, how was it? Also, did you stay at either the CAVFD firehouse, CPVFD, or at home? Considering doing it next year with one of them. I'm not into online classes very much and this seems like the best bet. They GER classes can be taken in the classroom. I would also be out of state getting a "college experience".

I currently attend UW-Milwaukee and am transfering to MATC(technical college) to work on my Fire Science degree and get my EMT-B.(Still a freshman) I have two Fire Science classes done already from high school and just finished my Firefighter 1.

Another question, can I get my FF1 and EMT-B to transfer if I attend UMUC in fall?

Thanks, just wanted to get some advice from everyone going through a similar situation, or already finished all of this.
    Last edited by clark918; 12-21-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Talking

If you psoted the actual name of the school pdq, you would get an answer asap, other wise, you will be sool and fubar, unless of course, your normal state is snafu.

Jawaco!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-21-2006 at 08:17 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry jsut kinda figured the people that would answer would know the name. University of Maryland University College.

Talking

We're firefighters, not psychics!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Clark, search for "superchef"s name in here. She is currently attending the Fire Sciences program as a long-distance learning student. She's been with the program and the school since 2003 and can answer your questions best of anyone. Good luck and have fun with it!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I don't get what you're saying though. It said UMUC in the title, so I figured people that went there know what UMUC is. STOP CONFUSING ME! haha

And thanks Malahat

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Would you please tell my wife that! She apparently thinks I can read her mind.

MembersZone Subscriber

PM me if you have any questions or post them here. I started in 2003 (part-time student hood takes forever). The fire science program is outstanding. I just saw this post or I could have clued people in to what UMUC stands for too.

At the end I will have more than earned my BS in Fire Science. You need to be very discipliend to be an online student. Your grades are absed on your weekly confernce particiaption (bascially a forum type environment). The professors post the questiosn for discussion and you are required to respond as well as reply to others. You also do a LOT of research writing. I had done an average of 6 papers almost every semester (and I have had 11 semesters so far. you do the numbers on how many papers I have written). On the bright side my vacation in summer of 2009 will be a trip to MD to pick up my degree.

feel free to ask away.

cheffie

MembersZone Subscriber

So overall, you've been happy with this? I'm actually going to live in a firehouse in Maryland if I get accepted to the college.(Either College park or Adelphi Volly dept.) Then I would be able to take the GER classes in a classroom which is what I'd prefer. Also gives me more of a "college experience" which is what I want since I'm only 19. I just figured I should get a bachleor degree in something since most have told me to do so, and thought why not fire science after seeing this opporitunity here. It was hard to push myself at UWM when taking Journalism classes, and wanting to be a firefighter. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely. Attending UMUC has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. The caliber of the professors and the quality of the education is very high. You will benefit even more by being able to live-in a firehouse. That is the only area where I miss out being an online student.

Good luck to you. If you have any questions you can always find me in FH. A big "HEY CHEFFIE" will always catch my eye.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hmmmm...........

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post
    If you have any questions you can always find me in FH. A big "HEY CHEFFIE" will always catch my eye.

HEY CHEFFIE!!

Let's see if that worked.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Chef. One more question though. My parents will be helping me out financial wise since I don't have the money myself. So I have to get it all approved by them first. My dad really doesnt like the idea of online classes. He said at his work he heard that a lot of employers laugh at those degrees. I argued that if I want a BS in Fire Science, it pretty much has to be online no matter where I attend. And when I told him the degree won't help me get hired, just with promotions and my pay at some places, he said it might be better to keep getting a degree in something else. Do you happen to know a good idea to argue this? And if I ever got hurt, will I be able to get into another Fire related career with this degree? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    HEY CHEFFIE!!

Let's see if that worked.......

You called Chief Woods?

Thumbs up And..............

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    So overall, you've been happy with this? I'm actually going to live in a firehouse in Maryland if I get accepted to the college.(Either College park or Adelphi Volly dept.) Then I would be able to take the GER classes in a classroom which is what I'd prefer. Also gives me more of a "college experience" which is what I want since I'm only 19. I just figured I should get a bachleor degree in something since most have told me to do so, and thought why not fire science after seeing this opporitunity here. It was hard to push myself at UWM when taking Journalism classes, and wanting to be a firefighter. Thanks
    Here's a tip: If you plan on living at an area Firehouse, (College Park, Chillum-Adelphi, Branchville, Hyattsville, Riverdale, Berwyn Heights, Greenbelt, Beltsville, Laurel, West Lanham Hills, Riverdale Heights, Bladensburg, and Glenn Dale) Start your legwork EARLY, like six months, ahead of time. Joining a VFD in Prince Georges County is not done in a 30 minute time frame. Here's the list:
    1. Decide which VFD you want to join.
    2. Obtain and fill out all the paperwork, and return it to the VFD.
    3. You get voted in (or not) at a business meeting of that VFD. (most are held monthly.
    4. VFD sends your paperwork to the Fire Commission, where it is logged in, and a tracking number assigned.
    5. Fire Commission sends it to Investigations for the Local, State, and Federal Background Checks.
    6. Investigations returns it to the Fire Commission.
    7. Fire Commission notifies you to schedule a physical.
    8. Following your physical, you are given a list of training classes for our 36 hour Recruit Orientation.
    9. After Completion of that, you return to the Fire Commission office, pick up your paperwork, get an ID and P.A.T. Tag.
    10. You can then get your gear (PPE) and ride the apparatus, doing "Exterior Only" stuff until you complete the requirement for FF1.

If you need more info, PM me, I'll try to help. Good Luck.

Almost forgot, to get all the station websites, go to www.PGCVFRA.Org and they have a link to each station's site.
    Last edited by hwoods; 12-23-2006 at 03:39 PM.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Talking Wow........

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post
    You called Chief Woods?
    No, I called Cheffie......

How come I call you, in San Francisco, 3,000 miles away, and get an answer in 18 minutes?
    I call my wife, out in the kitchen, 30 feet away, and don't get an answer until she wants the trash taken out.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks I sent you a PM, but I'm posting it in here as well.

Thanks for the response. I can't make it to MD until about April during Spring Break. Do you think this will be a problem? I am most likely looking at Chillum-Adelphi. They said they have less regulations and such than College Park has. They also said if I come and like the firehouse, they will make room for me. Are you a live-in? If so, how's it working out? And did you attend UMUC?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Chef. One more question though. My parents will be helping me out financial wise since I don't have the money myself. So I have to get it all approved by them first. My dad really doesnt like the idea of online classes. He said at his work he heard that a lot of employers laugh at those degrees. I argued that if I want a BS in Fire Science, it pretty much has to be online no matter where I attend. And when I told him the degree won't help me get hired, just with promotions and my pay at some places, he said it might be better to keep getting a degree in something else. Do you happen to know a good idea to argue this? And if I ever got hurt, will I be able to get into another Fire related career with this degree? Thanks.
    Clark

Earning your degree online is every bit as valid as sitting in a classroom. You have actively participate in weekly discussions the same as if you were sitting in a classroom. The difference is that in a real classroom, you can "hide in the back of the room." In an online classroom, you have to participate.

You should talk to the academic director at UMUC for the Fire Science program. His name is Steve Carter. He is also one of the fire science professors (and I have him for the second time in spring term next year!).

A degree (any degree) is not an automatic entry ticket to any job. However, a 4 year degree will ALWAYS give you an edge over the person with no degree. Get your education now while you can. UMUC is a fully accredited college and has been around a long time. My degree will be every bit as valuable as the person who sits in a classroom a few days a week. UMUC is also affiliated with the NFA so you earn your NFA certificates for every fire science class you compete.

As for your fatherís argument, earning a degree is a commitment to your education. That is what employers will look at first. If you want a career in the fire service, it makes more sense to focus your education on what will help you in your career.

I have had all levels of firefighters in my classes from fire chiefs down to firefighters. And BTW- I am NOT a firefighter. I chose this degree because it is something that I am committed to and it has proven to be very challenging, exciting and fascinating. When I am done, I am looking at possibly going into grant writing and/or research as there is a need for both in the fire service.

I am not sure if you have actually looked at the classes you have to take in fire science (in addition to the GEC). These are some of what I have already taken.

Advanced Fire Administration
    Political and Legal Foundations of the Fire Service
    Personnel Management
    Fire Prevention Organization
    Applications of Fire Research

I hope I answered your questions.
    Last edited by superchef; 12-23-2006 at 04:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    No, I called Cheffie......

How come I call you, in San Francisco, 3,000 miles away, and get an answer in 18 minutes?
    I call my wife, out in the kitchen, 30 feet away, and don't get an answer until she wants the trash taken out.

It would have been quicker but I was taking my trash out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks that helped a lot. I'll email the director next to check what all of the career options are with this degree. I apreciate the help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks that helped a lot. I'll email the director next to check what all of the career options are with this degree. I apreciate the help.
    Check your PM.

Thread Information