Forum Member

Default Programming the Minitor V & Voice Storage

Anyone out there using AND programming the Minitor V with Voice Storage?

I purchased one of these gems along with the programming interface. I love it, except that I believe it needs a firmware upgrade to correct an 'issue' regarding the functionality of the automatic reset functions v. the user-defined storage recording parameters that are set during programming.

If you program these pagers, gimme a post and let me know and I'll elaborate.

Forum Member

Question

Addict-

I don't program my Minitor V but I do have it on my belt right now. I like it except for one feature, which I am told cannot be disabled. Everytime I turn the pager on I get the voice messages " Selective Call Frequency One" or "Monitor Frequency One". This gets really annoying after awhile. Can this feature be disabled or are the higher-ups in my department just blowing smoke when they say it can't be shut off?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeguard911 View Post
    Addict-

I don't program my Minitor V but I do have it on my belt right now. I like it except for one feature, which I am told cannot be disabled. Everytime I turn the pager on I get the voice messages " Selective Call Frequency One" or "Monitor Frequency One". This gets really annoying after awhile. Can this feature be disabled or are the higher-ups in my department just blowing smoke when they say it can't be shut off?
    Yes is can be shut off. I had that annoying feature on mine. Its a simple check box in the programming.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

That is correct. It is, in fact, the FIRST thing i shut off.

Forum Member

Well, its been some 4 months since I joined your community as a volunteer FF.
    I purchased one of these gems along with the programming interface.
    and you are already buying pagers and programming them for yourself? Does your department not offer such things to it's members?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I am a gadget junkie and always have been. There was a shortage on pagers and a fairly long wait to get more. At the end of the tunnel, I was to be offered a heavily used Min III when it was available. I opted to hunt on ebay for a Min V so I can have complete control over the programming, alert modes (vibrate & tone patterns), voice storage, etc. When the Min III became available to me, I passed so other new members can get a radio without the wait.

That was a good decision. Actually a great decision. I love the Min V, especially the voice storage. Several times we have been en route on calls and it was quite efficient to play the call back to verify an address. Even better, If I am unavaiable / out of service at a meeting for my real job, etc., i can get a vibrate only and then play back the message when the meeting is over.

Forum Member

Default minitor V

What exactly is your problem with the programming?

Forum Member

Its not a problem as much as its a design flaw. Using the voice record feature, after a page the squelch remains open until the timer for recording shuts off. If you try and set the alert mode to 'monitor mode' or anything that quiets the squelch, the recorder stops after the dispatch instead of the full timed cycle.

FIGJAM

Ask Alex Yates from some of the other threads- I reckon he'd have a good clue...!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Luke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1080iAddict View Post
    Its not a problem as much as its a design flaw. Using the voice record feature, after a page the squelch remains open until the timer for recording shuts off. If you try and set the alert mode to 'monitor mode' or anything that quiets the squelch, the recorder stops after the dispatch instead of the full timed cycle.
    Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I'm having difficulty programming the voice record for my station's minitors. The issue I'm having is just this... when the tones are alerted, the minitor records. Even if I have it programmed for 120 seconds, it cuts off at the end of the tones and no voice is recorded. So, at playback, all there is, is a bunch of tones for neighboring stations...
    ... is this because I've got it in 'monitor mode'?

Anyone have any suggestions to get the voice to record? My Chiefs are looking forward to hearing the dispatch when they run Battalion in the middle of the night

Thanks,
    Mike - Coles Dist VFD&RS

MembersZone Subscriber

Rather than a time setting, we use the "Dynamic" setting. Seems to work better

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCDVFD View Post
    Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I'm having difficulty programming the voice record for my station's minitors. The issue I'm having is just this... when the tones are alerted, the minitor records. Even if I have it programmed for 120 seconds, it cuts off at the end of the tones and no voice is recorded. So, at playback, all there is, is a bunch of tones for neighboring stations...
    ... is this because I've got it in 'monitor mode'?

Anyone have any suggestions to get the voice to record? My Chiefs are looking forward to hearing the dispatch when they run Battalion in the middle of the night

Thanks,
    Mike - Coles Dist VFD&RS
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy View Post
    Rather than a time setting, we use the "Dynamic" setting. Seems to work better
    I had tried that innitially, and thought there was somthing not right with it, so thats why I tried doing fixed length recordings that I knew were longer than the voice dispatch...

MembersZone Subscriber

I am programming about 20 Minitor V's, some for my dept and some for a neighboring dept, and I'm having the same issue. I have no trouble with getting the frequencies, tones, alert styles, etc setup the requested way, but the voice storage/reset options are still not right. Even on my own pager, it will not record a run. I even have it set for "manual" reset, where the squelch stays open constantly until I reset it. Still doesn't record the information.

I'm getting calls from other firefighters saying "my pager ain't right" or "can you look at this thing it won't reset right and isn't recording" so I guess it's back to the drawing board. I keep experimenting with options until I can get it right, I guess. Any more tips would be appreciated. Thanks for letting me open up an old thread, and borrow it for my own use!

Forum Member

I sent my request to Motorola, and this was their reply. Hopefully Motorola won't mind me posting this email that they sent me....

The Key is the "Revert N or Delay N" part... this reduced the number of missed recordings, though there are still some.

Dear Michael:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Motorola products. You are running into a classic problem of programming a stored voice pager. Here is the deal. When the dispatcher sends out the tones to alert the pager there is a carrier drop in-between when the pager alerts and when the dispatcher starts to talk. You need to account for this drop by choosing one of the ¿N¿ resets, Revert N or Delay N. The algebraic ¿N¿ is how long the pager will wait before applying the reset function to the pager. 7-10sec is usually long enough. So what happens is this¿.
    1) Dispatcher pages pager
    2) Pager alerts
    3) Carrier drops
    4) ¿N¿ reset function kicks in
    5) Dispatcher starts talking BEFORE the ¿N¿ time expires
    6) Entire message is recorded.

Now, the only downside to this is the fact that the time in-between when the Carrier drops and the Dispatcher starts talking one will both hear and record ¿White noise¿. This is because we are forcing the radio to stay open; there is no way to remove the ¿White noise¿ from the pager.

With regards,
    Motorola Subscriber Technical Support Team

Forum Member

To store voice when the transmitter drops between the tones and the announcement, you need to use the "Revert N" reset mode.

Quoting from here:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75196

"Reset mode should be Revert N, set N = a few seconds longer than dispatch drops the TXer (6 sec?)"

Andy

Thread Information