Thread: Medical Phy

Forum Member

Default Medical Phy

No one has been able to give me a strraight answer on this. I have completed the fire academy and emt and I'm state cert in both and I'm in the process of siging up for Paramedic school and I have my B.S. and no background problems. Here is my concern. I'm legally blind in one eye and better than perfect in the other 20/15 to be exact. When I took my physical to get into the academy the doctor had to disclose this on my paper work and I went through the academy without any problems. Most people say I should be fine. Are they just being politically correct to keep themselves safe because of the ADA. Look, if I did not think I could do this job I wouldn't waste anyone's time, more importantly, I would not risk anyone's elses life! because ultimately, thats what is on the line out in the field along with my own. Just looking for a straight answer, because pre-employment apps I have looked at does not specify.

Thanks

Forum Member

There really can't be a straight answer because I am sure every department is different on their medical standards, however the ones I have seen you need to have corrected vision in both eyes.

MembersZone Subscriber

What you need to do is contact the agency for which you want to work and ask them. Are there departments that would disqualify you? Yes, I am sure there are. The standard says correctable vision to 20/40 in EACH eye. This could be a problem for you, depending on the department. The standard can be up for interpretation.

The Americanís with Disabilities (ADA) law will work in your favor. Agengies are far less likely to "discriminate" against a candidate today than in years past for medical reasons. I would start my research there and see what it turned up.

I worked with a firefighter who lost an eye while employed by the fire department. He lost it in a fight in a bar. He was permitted to come back to the job with a glass eye.

Congratulations on completing the academy. Your grit and determination will be the key to your success.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    What you need to do is contact the agency for which you want to work and ask them. Are there departments that would disqualify you? Yes, I am sure there are. The standard says correctable vision to 20/40 in EACH eye. This could be a problem for you, depending on the department. The standard can be up for interpretation.

The Americanís with Disabilities (ADA) law will work in your favor. Agengies are far less likely to "discriminate" against a candidate today than in years past for medical reasons. I would start my research there and see what it turned up.

I worked with a firefighter who lost an eye while employed by the fire department. He lost it in a fight in a bar. He was permitted to come back to the job with a glass eye.

Congratulations on completing the academy. Your grit and determination will be the key to your success.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Thank you so much for the response and encouragement! I can not lie, I am a little discourage right now about how the process is going to work, but whatever happens I'll be fine i'm sure, but really do hope I get it. Thanks again!

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ACfire1 View Post
    There really can't be a straight answer because I am sure every department is different on their medical standards, however the ones I have seen you need to have corrected vision in both eyes.
    Thanks for the reply. I just wish if that were the case that they would have stopped me early on instead of doing all this schooling that I can't use if that it is the case. However, I really thank you for your honesty!

Thread Information