MembersZone Subscriber

Default Do you leave your facepieces hooked up to your pack?

Friendly disagreement, looking for your experience. Our station has about half disconnecting their masks from their tanks after a run. The other half like to leave the mask hose hooked up to the tank hose; the mask is still placed in its bag, but the whole thing is still connected. They say this is quicker when we need to pack up. Others object, saying that the hose couplings can get "sticky" when left in place and then they're harder to disconnect, which could be a safety concern. What is your experience/advice? Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by enginegirl1 View Post
    Friendly disagreement, looking for your experience. Our station has about half disconnecting their masks from their tanks after a run. The other half like to leave the mask hose hooked up to the tank hose; the mask is still placed in its bag, but the whole thing is still connected. They say this is quicker when we need to pack up. Others object, saying that the hose couplings can get "sticky" when left in place and then they're harder to disconnect, which could be a safety concern. What is your experience/advice? Thanks in advance.
    I'm a little confused at what you are speaking about exactly.

Are you claiming that they take thier facepiece off the regulator asembly?

I don't understand how taking it off makes it easier to put on or how this doesn't possibly allow debris to find its way into the regulator or the seal?

We always leave our facepiece attached to the regulator on the Mask.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

My facepiece/mask goes onto the regulator at the beggining of the tour and comes off at the end of the tour! Always, since the first day I walked into the firehouse. its habit

MembersZone Subscriber

Default clarification

I'm sorry to be unclear. We are an all-vollie station and are on call 24/7. We have three trucks, all with jumpseats with packs in brackets. Our masks come with a hose attached; this hose quick-connects onto the hose coming from the pack. Some folks leave these hoses attached all the time, with the mask in its bag at the end. Other folks say no, you shouldn't leave the hoses attached together; we have mostly MVA calls (about one fire a month) so the packs don't get used that much, and the hoses' quick-connects can get kind of sticky or frozen together over time. Some say that if we had an emergency during a fire and someone needed to buddy-breathe, those quick-connects might not disconnect so well if they've been attached for long periods (weeks). Other folks feel strongly about leaving the mask hose attached and ready to roll. Both sides are making good points. Looking for opinions / guidance. I can't find any reference to this in OSHA, only stuff around keeping masks in bags. Thanks.

Forum Member

Thats kinda what I thought. There's no reason they should be hooked up for weeks. I'm guessing the company gets together once a week or so. They should be maintained then.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

My old vollie department used Firehawk MMRs and the "old" BMRs from MSA.We had masks for both types on the rigs,near the correct unit to avoid confusion and if you got off the rig packed up,you had the hose hooked up and the mask on with air going if using the belt rig or you had the mask on,regulator clipped to the nose piece and the air on using the Firehawk.The deisgn of that is such that you don't get air until you clip the regulator in place.
    Each user cleaned their mask after the call,whether it was personal issue or whatever mask was grabbed during the ride to the scene.If there was a rare week we didn't get any fire runs,we got together and cleaned the engine and made sure everything was still ready to go.And we have some seriously detail oriented officers so all the vehicles got checked and all equipment parts got looked at before we cleaned the bays,bathrooms,office and meeting room.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive View Post
    My facepiece/mask goes onto the regulator at the beggining of the tour and comes off at the end of the tour! Always, since the first day I walked into the firehouse. its habit
    Same here.

Sounds like your best solution is to click them together when you hop on the rig and head out the door on a run. Doing this will prevent the amateur masking up syndrome that takes some people the better part of 2 minutes while they piece it all together.
    Last edited by MG3610; 12-26-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    We always leave our facepiece attached to the regulator on the Mask.
    Something else Ive never seen/heard of...You guys sure do some strange things.

Seriously, we used to do it with the old MSA's, but Ive not seen it since we switched to Scotts about 15 years ago. Mainly to keep the "elephant trunk" from the MSA mask filling up with crap.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I used to use MSA packs and wear my mask around the neck on a cord. Now we have Survivair packs and they have buckles on the shoulder strap to hold the mask. I didn't like it at first but it has grown on me. AT the beginning of the shift I attach my mask on my SCBA shoulder strap. I heard and have seen a lot of departments attaching there mask directly to the regulator and leaving it there. Personally it didn't work well for me because I am only 5'9" and it felt like the mask was hitting a lot of stuff all the time. If I was taller I would defnatley leave it attached to the regulator.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by enginegirl1 View Post
    Some say that if we had an emergency during a fire and someone needed to buddy-breathe, those quick-connects might not disconnect so well if they've been attached for long periods (weeks).
    Does your FD actually train to disconnect regulators and share it for buddy breathing? Years ago, we did this with the Scotts II's (who remembers putting the low pressure hose in your turnout coat?) We do not do this anymore. If you do not have the capability to connect two masks to one SCBA, use a short piece of garden hose between facepieces. It's not OSHA/NFPA/NIMS/DHS approved, but at least both of you get air while you move to the exit.

The only problem I see with keeping the masks on the regulators is having the right size available. I do not know what brand you use. Scott has several size masks-we fit test each department member every year. We also issue a mask to each fire fighter.

Prior to issuing masks, we left them on the regulators.

Even if the masks were on for months, how hard do you think it would be to disconnect them? As far as I know, there is no glue on the outside of the gaskets
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I think this is our answer

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Same here.

Sounds like your best solution is to click them together when you hop on the rig and head out the door on a run. Doing this will prevent the amateur masking up syndrome that takes some people the better part of 2 minutes while they piece it all together.
    LOL on the 2 minutes, and yes I like that approach too. The trick is going to be getting folks to take them back apart when we return to the station. No one is doing this today.

Also, yes I realize there is no glue holding these parts together, LOL, but I have noticed that hoses left together for awhile (as in days / weeks) don't always want to come apart.

Yes we are trained to be ready to unclick our hose and buddy breathe if necessary.

Thanks for all the replies and good advice. I think our equipment is a little bit older stuff and want to be sure everything works the way it's supposed to.

Be Safe,
    Amy

MembersZone Subscriber

We issue each member masks, so the issue of having masks connected in the rig isn't there. However, one thing to consider when leaving the mask attached to the regulator and "hanging" off the pack (I see it a lot around here, and our guys are guilty of it too) and not on a neck strap or clipped to your gear or SCBA harness somewhere is that hanging the mask solely my the hose going to the regulator puts a LOT of stress on that hose. I would suggest if anyone is doing this, it isn't a good idea.

Not to mention all of the crap that ends up in your mask when you hang it that way...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

I leave it hooked up when I'm on hose until I'm ready to make entry.Since I'm good at losing stuff or misplacing stuff and this is sort of an important piece so atleast I know where it's at. Other shifts will leave the mask hang on the Streamlight so it comes down to a preference thing pretty much. BE SAFE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Seriously, we used to do it with the old MSA's, but Ive not seen it since we switched to Scotts about 15 years ago. Mainly to keep the "elephant trunk" from the MSA mask filling up with crap.
    Well,we did have to change the trunks every once in a while.If they got stretched longer than 18","just hanging there",NFPA or some alphabet bunch said they couldn't be used as they might crack and admit outside air filled with mesobutylbadstuffs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Quote: "mesobutylbadstuffs" LOL

Good points about tension on the hose/trunk and the hanging mask filling up with various stuff.

Forum Member

Default Yes and No....

I always leave my regulator clipped into my face piece. We do however have couplings in the air line that comes over your shoulder which I do not keep connected because when connected in the cab, the face piece always seems to be in the way of the door or in my back.

The face piece and regulator rides on the engine cowling. On the way to a fire call, I hang the face piece around my neck and clip in at the shoulder. It is an easier connection to make than putting the face piece on and then clipping in the regulator.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

You guys are talking about the airpaks with the elephant trunk, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post

Dave,

What do you guys do with yours?

I too used the similar Scott Pak IIs when I started in my first FD and we usually left them unhooked although I usually kept mine conected.

FTM-PTB

PS- Here is a somewhat dated photo I found and although the brothers are clearly joking around...the one on the left near the old phonebooth has his mask as we usually have ours...facepiece attached to the regulator ready to be donned at any time as the brother on the right has clearly demonstrated

Last edited by FFFRED; 12-29-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Forum Member

Dave,

What do you guys do with yours?

I too used the similar Scott Pak IIs when I started in my first FD and we usually left them unhooked although I usually kept mine conected.

FTM-PTB

PS- Here is a somewhat dated photo I found and although the brothers are clearly joking around...the one on the left near the old phonebooth has his mask as we usually have ours...facepiece attached to the regulator ready to be donned at any time as the brother on the right has clearly demonstrated

Dated photo, you think?

Well, when we switched to Scotts, the deparment bought these nice bags for the masks. Being on the beach we have an issue with sand (it gets into everything) and the bags keep all the crap out of the masks. We also had straps made so you can hang the mask around your neck.

So what most do is leave the mask in the bag till needed. Pull it out of the bag, hang it around your neck and hook up the regulator just before you climb off the rig. Then its ready to go.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave,

When I was using the old Scott IIs we had similar neck straps. Personally I never liked them as they were just something else to get hung up on debris in the building and I always considered it a compromise of what could be a safer set up.

Although I can completely understand and appricate the sand issue and the bags....must be nasty to take a first breath and inhale a sand particle.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Dave,

When I was using the old Scott IIs we had similar neck straps. Personally I never liked them as they were just something else to get hung up on debris in the building and I always considered it a compromise of what could be a safer set up.

Although I can completely understand and appricate the sand issue and the bags....must be nasty to take a first breath and inhale a sand particle.

FTM-PTB

When we first put the straps on we found they were to long and did tend to get cought up on things. We made them shorter and it really hasnt been an issue since.

No, breathing sand isnt much fun.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Well mine is connected to the regulator and then attached to the shoulder harness via caribeener. However when I'm done using it I clean. Which I assume you all do afterwards. Then reconnect it. As a vollie I would think you could do then same. The only difference is my head harness is done up on one side..VinnieB or someone gave me that idea in a thread a while ago and it works GREAT.
    But as a vollie you don't know who's gonna wear that mask.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question What kinda packs are you talking about?

if they are scott 2.2 then leaving them hooked up is a good idea but the newer style with the quarter lock face regulater then i would say no because the rubber seals will get water on then between them and it will dry rought out leaving you with a bad seal

Forum Member

Good to see L-61 wasnt doing anything back in the 70's either :-)

Forum Member

If my memory serves me correctly, 10-15 years ago there was an issue with the 2.2 seals failing after an extreme number of uses. Scott put out a bulletin suggesting that the regulators be left attached to the facepieces to prevent wear. Of course, I don't know what they suggest now. I have since switched departments and we use MSA.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RTB

Stay low, keep pushing in, and stay safe.

Thread Information