MembersZone Subscriber

Default How often do you do drills?

For all-volunteer houses, how often are you doing drills and who decides what to drill on? Drills like hydrant hookup, cutting ventilation holes, search & rescue, etc. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a training division that has a Chief that over sees the division. A Capt that usually runs the drills then 2 LT's that help out. Also each Company has a Training officer incharge of company trainings. We have 2 drills a month. Usually the 2nd monday of the month is company training run by the company training officer. Then the last sunday or monday is our department wide training that is run by the training division Capt.

Forum Member

I believe we have one twice a month. I'm still not sure. I know we have meetings twice a month but I haven't been to one yet. Thursday will be my first.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=181526&dateline=11930  75762

Forum Member

Our training nights are every Thursday. 1 EMS and 2 Fire each month. Then some Sat. classes.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

Forum Member

1 company drill per month. 1 engineers drill per month to check engines/fuel/tools/etc. 1 engineers drill per month for pumping. 1 FAST drill per month. That is scheduled, others may be thrown in for certain situations and/or where buildings become available for drilling.

Captain's are in charge of drills. Training division assists.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

My department meets every Thursday night. The first Thursday of each month is business meeting and the rest are for training. We elect a training officer every year when we elect officers.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a fire training once a month and a ems training once a month. Sometimes we will throw some more in between. We have a training officer that comes up with ideas. The Chief oversees the training and gives his input and makes the main decisions.
    Do not equate money with success. There are many successful moneymakers who are miserable failures as human beings.
    What counts most about success is how a person achieves it.

Nordy

Forum Member

3 Fire drills a month, with the meeting the third monday. All drills are monday nights, and usually department wide. Occasionally we'll split up, and send the engines out on their own, and the truck will then do it's own thing.

Extra drilling however is encouraged, and most of our officers are happy to clear a saturday afternoon, or evening sometime to go work with enough people that want to learn, that it's usually not a problem. Plus it helps the brass see who actually wants to be there versus who is there who knows what reasons.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have drills every Thursday except for the 2nd Thursday of the Month which is a business meeting. The training officer puts together a schedule and the line officers lead the drill. Topics range from EMS to auto extrication to layout and pumping drills. We schedule the drills according to things we see on the fireground or accident scene that need work. It may be the basics or more advanced techniques.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Our firehouse has a lot of very experienced people and I am only three months in the fire service. We have a monthly meeting / apparatus & equipment check, and I think we do a burn drill maybe twice a year when we get an abandoned house in the township. I would like to drill more and I probably need it much more than the others do. I don't want to tick everybody off, being new, so I will approach the subject with one of the experienced folks and maybe they can bring it up at the monthly meeting.

Be Safe,
    Amy

MembersZone Subscriber

The dept I mainly volunteer for right now has drill twice a month. The training officer along with the other officers decide what to do at each drill. There is a monthly officers meeting.

Forum Member

My Volunteer dept has 2 training meetings a month. We usually train for 2 hours a meeting. I have been on other departments that we only trained 1 time a month.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

2 drill nights a month. With many other days/weekends available. Last year our department did 8400 man hours of training.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

My old department meets on the first and third Mondays of each month for dinner and 3 hours of training.We alternate stations and before we rush the chow line,an officer finds out who brought their gear("You rode the truck over here but didn't bring your turnouts?No soup for you!Traffic detail!")and assigns people to whichever job should we get tapped out during the meeting.
    We've had calls during training where we had to break off the hydrant before going and visitors though that we ran so smoothly,they took the idea back to their departments and it's starting to spread,if it hadn't been thought of before.
    Plus,every call can afford some training time.Two years ago,I learned on the fly how to use a BVM and properly set up an O2 tank,which got me signed off quicker in EMT school when I showed some of my classmates how to do it.The instructor signed them off as well when they showed him what I'd done.

Forum Member

We do training once a week on Tuesday nights. The person who decides what we do is our Dept Training Officer, one of the Capt's, and is helped out by any of the other officers that are present
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Enginegirl1

I would be careful bring that up only being on 3 months. We understand the enthusiasm and wanting to learn more. Maybe you and some of the other new firefighters could talk to one of the more experienced firefighters to meet you down at the hall and go over things. I have been on 6 yrs.(I know some of you will commnet on that and I will be the first to say I still need lots of training.) and still have that drive, so I know where you are coming from. I was the same when I got on. The chief recently put me in charge of training. I mentioned doing 2 trainings a month. Lets just say the FF with 20+ yrs. didn't like the idea. Our dept. kind of needs it since we have had a big turnover lately and about 12 FF out of the 28 have less than 3 yrs. exp. So don't rock the boat quite yet. You will get the training. Try to go to all the fire schools you can. That's where I learned alot.
    Do not equate money with success. There are many successful moneymakers who are miserable failures as human beings.
    What counts most about success is how a person achieves it.

Nordy

MembersZone Subscriber

Twice a week, wends nights and Sun Morns...

XNA1590
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry Training drills

At my vol. dept we are suposed to meet twice a month but we suck and usually dont meet at all unless one of us calls a meeting. And on that note we don't train because I was told thats for full time departments!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

It sounds like twice a month is just about the minimum everybody is doing.

Nordy - my thoughts exactly, I am the newbie and don't want to get everyone riled up, and I am scheduled for more classes beginning in January. But I'm going to talk with maybe one of the experienced people and ask if they would mind going over stuff on our own equipment with me and some of the other new folks. This department has been fantastic, very welcoming and I know they all know what they're doing. I'm the one who doesn't yet.

Forum Member

Default Training

My department only drills once a month. The Deputy Chief is in charge of training. The training schedule is posted 3 months in advance. Sometimes a firefighter will request we do a certain type of training, Sometimes I will see something on scene that I feel needs to be worked on, and he'll schedule it. As far as live burns, make sure you comply with the EPA. A neighboring dept. was doing one and the local news crew showed up, Two days later our friends with the local EPA office was at their station, none too happy that they hadn't applied for any permits. No fines were issued but they got their message across.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Every tues. night!!!

Forum Member

Anytime I am at the station. It's either reading something or actually doing something usually by myself.

When I first joined we drilled just about every Monday night but at the moment there aren't too many of us left so I do what I can to keep my skills up to stuff even if I am doing a drill by myself.

MembersZone Subscriber

3-4 company drills per month are scheduled. Of course during the year some are lost to holidays and some other important community activity. Probies spend additional time during duty crews (90 minutes of training required) and during normal station time in completing their probie board either before or just after attending FF1.

Forum Member

We train 4 times a month

Forum Member

We train Monday and Wednesday nights 7:00pm-9:30pm...adhoc weekend training when required (ie: first aid/AED courses, vehicle extrication courses etc.). Weekly training topics are scheduled 1 month in advance by the DC and ADC based on NFPA level 1 and 2 ciriculum plus Building tours and 1 meeting per month (*yawn*)..Each training night 1 of the 4 Captains or one of the Chiefs (rotates each training night) is responsible for teaching the lesson. Works well for us.
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

Thread Information