Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local-345

Thumbs up Fubar

I have been tryin out this tool, (Stanley FUBAR TOOL) anyone who would like to try it out and help me with any new applications. Wear it on a truck belt for easy and free hand use, im on a busy engine company that responds to alot of fires, just lookin for a new useful tool for a officer or nozzel man to carry. A few ways i have used it, pryin open light wt. doors, takin windows, breachin walls, holdin open doors. Anything more we can come up with would help us add more to the tool. A few guys at my stationhouse (22's engine louisville ky. local-345) have come up with welding a sharp window breakin tip on top of the head, maybe a sharp beveled out notch between the teeth. For cuttin wires within a wall during breachin. Any help?? Thanks bro's
    Last edited by JoshWebb; 12-26-2006 at 03:55 PM. Reason: no response

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JoshWebb View Post
    ... maybe a sharp beveled out notch between the teeth. For cuttin wires within a wall during breachin. Any help?? Thanks bro's

I like seeing any wires before they get cut! I'm not sure I'd like cutting througha live wire when breaching a wall unless I planned on it for some reason which at the moment escapes me? I found the FatMax Extreme FUBAR tool. Certainly looks like a decent sidearm for the reasons you noted.

Got a Link???????
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

I have been tryin out this tool, (Stanley FUBAR TOOL)
    Will it open this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Got a Link???????
    Stanley FUBAR:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....3B+Utility+Bar

Interesting, But why would I choose the FUBAR over something like the FireMaxx? Other than price?
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._14_in_1_tool/
    Last edited by TrikeFlyer; 12-26-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Local-345

I see your point. The axe and other 13 tools in one would have a place where we work, but anyone who has tried these 14 in 1 tools know that a gas shut off a spanner are things that really cant be used due to the size it takes for all the other tools in one. the tool ends up being to big to fit in places where you need to use it. The axe, hammer and pry bar i could use while on the pipe. Spanner gas shut off i dont need in the application in which im speakin of usin a tool on the nozzle. i.e self rescue. look at this i have found that the FUBAR makes haste of wall board and plaster lath due to being able to puncture the wall with the pick type end then pull out and down, much like a plaster hook. Pluse fubars ability to take a 2x4 or 2x6 and twist the base off the sole plate, making a wider opening for our larger frames to fit into a safe area. I think this would be harder to do with just a axe head and longer, not good. we have some ideas about adding some things to the tool, sharp point on the head welded on for breakin glass at MVA's, more control than a swing and break action. Also a beveled notch to a sharp edge between the claws for cuttin wires in a wall that may prevent us from escape. Mabe a litt longer for more leverage. ??? what do ya think???

Forum Member

What do I think? Looks like a good personal tool to have handy.

Mabe a litt longer for more leverage.
    I agree. 18" don't give you much to work with, but hey, it's meant to be a personal tool, right? *shrugs* I want one. Call it a belated Christmas present.

Hell, even if it's a POS, you're only out $40 instead of $120-200+ for these other "gosh-a-mighty it does everything" tools...

That looks like a big bottle opener. How long have you used this tool? What happens when you get it wet does it rust? Looks like something that I could break very easy.

MembersZone Subscriber

look's like a pretty chincy tool to me, and after all I think most of us know what FUBAR means ( F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition!!) I would still rather take a an axe and halligan in with me. Especially with new techniques they are showing with emergency escapes especially out windows, would rather put a halligan on the other side of a wall frame if need be and have more than an inch on both sides to trust my life with.

JOSH, Did you take the textured grip off of it? Just wondering how that would hold up under the heat, and if it did stay on and melt how would it affect the function or warranties of your gear? (not sure if you understand what I am trying to say with that question or not)

Forum Member

If they were able to integrate a k-tool into it somehow it would be a perfect officers tool, but it would need to be like 15 1/2 inches long cause if you want to get a 2x4 off a sill plate to self evacuate you need to get the whole mouth on it. At the length it is, it wont fit in common 16 on center studs.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I first saw that thing and picked it up I thought holy crap is that thing heavy for a hammer. End up looking like Popeye forarms if you use it to much.

Local-345

Default Fubar Tool

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881 View Post
    look's like a pretty chincy tool to me, and after all I think most of us know what FUBAR means ( F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition!!) I would still rather take a an axe and halligan in with me. Especially with new techniques they are showing with emergency escapes especially out windows, would rather put a halligan on the other side of a wall frame if need be and have more than an inch on both sides to trust my life with.

JOSH, Did you take the textured grip off of it? Just wondering how that would hold up under the heat, and if it did stay on and melt how would it affect the function or warranties of your gear? (not sure if you understand what I am trying to say with that question or not)
    Chincy??...not a chance your not goin to break this and its not goin to rust. anyone that has held this tool can tell how well it is built rite away. also if your takin in a line, axe and halligan your pretty advanced in the trade or you just have more arms than god intended, As far a escape if a flashlight can hold a full grown FF (as a min) then this tool certanly can. the grip, havent burnt it up yet but im sure with enough BTU's anything will burn. I have wanted to put a new grip on it, me and the guys are workin on some things. This is ment to be a personal tool for an officer or FF on the pipe, carried on a belt of some kind. there are some things we want to add to the tool, just to make it a better tool. thanks for the reply, Brotha.

Local-345

Default Fubar Tool

Quote Originally Posted by SSHANK42 View Post
    When I first saw that thing and picked it up I thought holy crap is that thing heavy for a hammer. End up looking like Popeye forarms if you use it to much.
    Yeah that no ****, its a heavy tool good thing were not just ordinary ppl. lol...thanks brotha

Local-345

Default Fubar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    If they were able to integrate a k-tool into it somehow it would be a perfect officers tool, but it would need to be like 15 1/2 inches long cause if you want to get a 2x4 off a sill plate to self evacuate you need to get the whole mouth on it. At the length it is, it wont fit in common 16 on center studs.
    Yeah me and a guy across town talked of puttin one on there, but with the use of a halligan and brute force, from the truck guys, i dont know how much an officer here in louisville would use it. But i do see the use from an officer's stand point in some departments. we have the K-Tool on the trucks here but honestly i only know of twice i have used it, and both were on helpin EMS get into a home. Thanks for the imput, i would like to here more on why the k-tool should be on there, maybe you use this tool more than me. thanks Brotha.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chincy??...not a chance your not goin to break this and its not goin to rust. anyone that has held this tool can tell how well it is built rite away. also if your takin in a line, axe and halligan your pretty advanced in the trade or you just have more arms than god intended, As far a escape if a flashlight can hold a full grown FF (as a min) then this tool certanly can. the grip, havent burnt it up yet but im sure with enough BTU's anything will burn. I have wanted to put a new grip on it, me and the guys are workin on some things. This is ment to be a personal tool for an officer or FF on the pipe, carried on a belt of some kind. there are some things we want to add to the tool, just to make it a better tool. thanks for the reply, Brotha.
    well I wasn't talking about going in yourself unless that's how you do things there. We always have 2 people going in at a time, so one has the hose and flashlight, and the other carrys the tools. I don't think I would trust a flashlight unless you beefed up the d-rings that hold the strap on, as I have bent several of them in the years I have been in the service ( and no it wasn't from doing stupid things with them) just my 2 cents worth

Local-345

Default Fubar Tool

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881 View Post
    well I wasn't talking about going in yourself unless that's how you do things there. We always have 2 people going in at a time, so one has the hose and flashlight, and the other carrys the tools. I don't think I would trust a flashlight unless you beefed up the d-rings that hold the strap on, as I have bent several of them in the years I have been in the service ( and no it wasn't from doing stupid things with them) just my 2 cents worth
    No were also 2 in 2 out, im on an engine so the pipe man has the nozzle the officer has a tool of choice, and helps with the first line, everybody should have a flashlight day or night. yeah a flashlight is last choice i dont even carry one that could be used to escape, so my point was this tool is more than needs to be long and stronger than any truck guy. thanks brotha

Forum Member

Tried the FUBAR out at a class- some stanley reps brought it by... seemed to be sturdy enough, sucks as a hammer though, it was sending/shooting nails everywhere (glad for the eye-pro). I don't think I personally would use the FUBAR I didn't like it's feel but I was using it in building collapse situations.

Kickphatdan

As far a escape if a flashlight can hold a full grown FF (as a min)
    Hey Josh can you expand on that alittle more? Is there some secret method of bailing out with a flashlight that I'm missing here..?
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Local-345

Default ??Flashlight Bailout??

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    Hey Josh can you expand on that alittle more? Is there some secret method of bailing out with a flashlight that I'm missing here..?
    in alot of the survival and safty classes around louisville, they show how a small everyday tool like a flashlight could be used to bail out a window. not somethin i would do unless the danger fits this escape, cause the chanch for fallin are much higher than usein a larger tool.
    Just sucure your rope, webbing whatever to the flashlight. Keep the flaslight low in the corner of the window allowing neither end of the light to slip out of its wedged position as you slide out the window and DOWN YA GO!!
    This works with a light such as the MAG or a similar like flashlight. We did this with a saftey system on so remmember that if tried. this only failed when we slid out the window with out makin shure the light stayed in the correct wedged position. Remember this is only one way of findin a way out and one that would be last on my list. Thanks Brother

Forum Member

Yeah me and a guy across town talked of puttin one on there, but with the use of a halligan and brute force, from the truck guys, i dont know how much an officer here in louisville would use it. But i do see the use from an officer's stand point in some departments. we have the K-Tool on the trucks here but honestly i only know of twice i have used it, and both were on helpin EMS get into a home. Thanks for the imput, i would like to here more on why the k-tool should be on there, maybe you use this tool more than me. thanks Brotha.
    Our officers use the A tool http://www.firehooksunlimited.net/entry.html

The integrate lock puller works well when hit by an 8lb maul.

Thread Information