Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question We were told No way>>>>>>

This involves the 2005 App grant we received. We were awarded and grant for $142500 ($15000 with our portion) for a new tanker. Well it took over a year to get the tanker completed. After completion our cost was exactly $150,000. There were many changes that were well documented throughout the building process. But when we closed the grant AFG basically came back and said that they did not beleive that we made the purchase for the exact amount. I then closed it again stating that we had a contract with the building company (Bluegrass Tanker in Elizabethtown, KY, EXCELLENT PEOPLE!!!) and that our Board of Directors is very strict with our budget and we had a tanker committee that made sure the project stayed on track not to mention the dedicated work by our Chief. They finally accepted that explanation.

But has anyone else had AFG come back and question you on spending the exact amount of the grant?

MembersZone Subscriber

We had the same thing for our 2005 AFG Grant. Our quote for SCBAs and Compressor that we used in our application was honored by the vendor who won the contract. Therefore, our requested amount and the final amount were the same. Since this happens rarely, they just like an explanation to make sure nothing was left out.

Also, its rare that a vehicle's final cost would end up at a round number like $150,000.
    Last edited by k3twpfire; 12-27-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Forum Member

Default Same Here

When I closed 2005 I listed the total cost at the awarded amount because we actually ran over a bit and picked up the slack ourselves. I figured if I listed the larger cost all hell would break loose and I would have to justify to no end. (too many years of writing DOJ grants) Anyway, they sent me a nastygram telling me they did not believe the costs were exact. They were right and I upped the amounts to the correct figures and all was good.
    Joe Fireman

Folks keep in mind here that these final reports are "Federal Documents" and ANY intentional misrepresentation on them could be construed as "fraudulent" in nature and trigger a visit from the men with shiny bracelets. Federal money, Federal penalties!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Relax

I don't think anyone was purposely trying to misrepresent anything, based on what I have read. Yes, we know these are Federal documents, but one element in just about any crime is intent. I doubt if anyone is going to send the dogs and issue warrants because you spent more than you intended and then made an honest mistake or had a misunderstanding. They will just do as they have done in the past and ask you to correct the error.

In my case, I was used to the old days of doing DOJ grants when they didn't want to know anything about spending any amount above what your budget stated. They were always emphatic that you only went to the max figures of your budget no matter if you spent a million more. In all of the grants I have been awarded by the AFG (mine and several I wrote for other departments) we have always come in just under budget. This is the first time I went over.....lesson learned, I now know what to do, and I don't think they issued any Federal warrants for me.

Life is full of mistakes, we all make them...
    Joe Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by FFCOPEMT View Post
    I don't think anyone was purposely trying to misrepresent anything, based on what I have read. Yes, we know these are Federal documents, but one element in just about any crime is intent. I doubt if anyone is going to send the dogs and issue warrants because you spent more than you intended and then made an honest mistake or had a misunderstanding. They will just do as they have done in the past and ask you to correct the error.

In my case, I was used to the old days of doing DOJ grants when they didn't want to know anything about spending any amount above what your budget stated. They were always emphatic that you only went to the max figures of your budget no matter if you spent a million more. In all of the grants I have been awarded by the AFG (mine and several I wrote for other departments) we have always come in just under budget. This is the first time I went over.....lesson learned, I now know what to do, and I don't think they issued any Federal warrants for me.

Life is full of mistakes, we all make them...
    Certainly was not implying that you were guilty or even close to it guy; retired law enforcment myself here. If you read my original post again you will see I did say that it would had to have been an "intentional misrepresentation" to trigger a visit. Was just warning the nubbies about the federal aspect of it and admonishing them to keep it honest. Temptation lurks everywhere, as I am sure you know from experience and I have seen a lot of public officials lose entire, good, long standing, career records over a momentary slip into temptation.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information