MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Message For The Holidays

I get regular notices and messages from SafetyXchange.com regarding many things safety related. This is one such message that arrived in the morning email. Its not safety related, but it does give something to the holiday spirit and a bit of pause for thought and reflection.

GARY'S GADGET

Gary Grubenstein was spoiled rotten this Christmas. As an only child, he got everything he asked for, including the elusive PS3 and Nintendo Wii. His mother apparently paid some street people to stand in line for 48 hours outside a couple of video game stores on launch day. That was risky because one of the homeless guys tried to run off with the Wii in order to resell it, but Mama Grubenstein was watching from the shadows and made an offensive tackle that knocked the wind out of the thief.

But it was all for nothing because Gary had to say goodbye to the console after accidentally knocking someone out while demonstrating how the remote works. Upon regaining consciousness, the victim threatened to sue unless Gary handed over the coveted gaming system. What could he do? Oh well, he still had the PS3 . . . for a few days, anyway. He ended up giving it away to a terminally ill boy.

Gary was working as a candy striper at a local hospital where he befriended the lad, who kept talking about Sonyís new machine and his desire to play Resistance: Fall of Man. The 10-year-old was dying of a brain tumor.

The day after Christmas, Gary made the lad a promise: if he would give the PS3 to another terminally ill child before he died, then he could keep the console until then. And thatís what happened; the boy died and the PS3 went to another cancer-stricken youth, this time a 14-year-old girl.

The experience humbled Gary and made him feel guilty about all the gadgets he had in his apartment. None of them truly made him happy, only greedy for the next one. Is that what society has done; turned us into worshippers of money and technology? The thought depressed him, but Mama Grubenstein made him happy by saying his deed at the hospital made her so proud.

On that note, Gary wishes everyone a safe and healthy 2007, and offers this advice: donít let your pursuit of making a living cloud what happiness really is.

May your New Year be safe, happy and all that your heart desires. Take care 'n stay safe out there.

Best wishes from Malahat 27.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since when does Gary Coleman work in a hospital?

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis....
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Since when does Gary Coleman work in a hospital?

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis....
    Maybe the Sarcasm Light is lit, but I dont see the name "Coleman" anywhere in the article...... Grubenstein maybe, but not Coleman
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Sounds like Gary has found the true meaning of the season and intends to keep it.

Thread Information