Forum Member

Default MAN, this is SWEET!!!!!

My first week and a half as a Vollie and I've been able to show up to three of four calls. Two last night alone. The first was a small structure fire (small fire, big structur) and last night, the first was a car fire that ended up being a false alarm, the second was a pellet stove fire. One truck was all that was needed so I waited at the station to make sure it didn't into something more.

Still, this is the greatest thing I've done with my spare time. I'm lovin it.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1  81526&dateline=1193075762

MembersZone Subscriber

Well glad you like it. There will be much more to come. While hanging around, thats a good time to look around the other apparatus and to speak to the "older" guys to get guidance.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Did that. I go there to work out. I usually poke around for awhile as well.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1  81526&dateline=1193075762

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    Did that. I go there to work out. I usually poke around for awhile as well.
    Make sure you're learning how every tool works. don't become one of those "t shirt ff's" or develop the 2/20 syndrome(2 years on, 20 yrs. experience).
    Last edited by GFDSlappyRob; 12-29-2006 at 04:09 AM.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check the apparatus constantly... little birdies have a tendency to move or change things. Just a bit of advice...

Forum Member

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself, just don't let it go to your head like some of those "T-shirt" firefighters do. The last thing Vol. FF's need is someone going around embarassing us by acting like one.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a question concerning what you mean by "t-shirt" firefighter....

I am pretty sure you are referring to the attitude some may get after a few weeks on a dept and a few good calls. But do you mean to say also that anybody wearing a t-shirt with a firefighter on it is trying to make his status known sop as to appear more important than he really may be or something along those lines?

Just curious....I think pride in the job is a good thing. And our chief actually likes us to wear our volly dept t-shirt when in the district because we have had several people ask how to join just from actually finding out there really is a dept....

Again, its just a question. But I do understand the 2/20 mentality....and I've come close to it myself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    I have a question concerning what you mean by "t-shirt" firefighter....
    My own take has always been that a T-Shirt firefighter:

When wearing a uniform t-shirt, makes sure his back (with the largest-possible white lettering "FIRE" etc.) is frequently flashed towards other potential alpha males in the room to discourage them from approaching mating females near the T-Shirt firefighter's territory.

T Shirt firefighters also have been seen with variants on their plumage, such as:

(I sure hope the IMG tags work.... since WEBTEAM has not yet fully activated my subscription and I CAN'T EDIT MY POSTS. )

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    My own take has always been that a T-Shirt firefighter:

When wearing a uniform t-shirt, makes sure his back (with the largest-possible white lettering "FIRE" etc.) is frequently flashed towards other potential alpha males in the room to discourage them from approaching mating females near the T-Shirt firefighter's territory.

T Shirt firefighters also have been seen with variants on their plumage, such as:
    That's hilarious!

And that all comes with the "I fight what you fear" bumper sticker I take it....

Great description.....Thanks!
    Last edited by SWLAFireDawg; 01-28-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Forum Member

HaHa, best description of a "T-Shirt Firefighter" i have heard yet.

IMHO, I dont mind guys that wear department shirts, but those whacker shirts just make me laugh, lol.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post
    You can hear his posts, Tbone? Damn you're good, bro.

You know the saying "A picture's worth a thousand words"?? Well Electric just wrote the definitive novel on the subject of "T-shirt Firefighter".

For what it's worth, I suppose an addendum could be added to say that while his explanation is spot-on, the epitome of the "T-Shirt Firefighter" does all the things Electric brought up, and is rarely seen at trainings, and even more rarely at actual calls!
    In other words: the guy who joined the department just so he could wear the t-shirt and pager around and say he's a "Firefighter" just to get the girls' interests up.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Talking

That's hilarious!

And that all comes with the "I fight what you fear" bumper sticker I take it....
    Just a note, but it seems most guys who "Fight what you fear," haven't ever seen the "what you fear", let alone actually jockeyed a nozzle to fight it. *LOL*
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post

IMHO, I dont mind guys that wear department shirts, but those whacker shirts just make me laugh, lol.
    I agree......on both counts.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    You can hear his posts, Tbone? Damn you're good, bro.
    What can I say, im just good like that. LMAO
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

In other words: the guy who joined the department just so he could wear the t-shirt and pager around and say he's a "Firefighter" just to get the girls' interests up.
    Now wait a minute...girls are attracted to pagers and firefighters?!?!? Never happened to me. Dang it, I miss everything!!
    BAClair

MembersZone Subscriber

You must not have had the shirt......it seems the shirt is the ultimate aphrodisiac.......

Forum Member

You guys don't get it!!!!

The trick is to have HER put it on!!!!

It makes a difference....try it!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4caster View Post
    Now wait a minute...girls are attracted to pagers and firefighters?!?!? Never happened to me. Dang it, I miss everything!!
    *LOL* Didn't work for me either.

*shrugs* I guess beauty really is only T-shirt deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone?

Just a thought for everyone: Next time you see a guy out and about with one of those "I FIGHT WHAT YOU FEAR" shirts on, especially if he's trying to impress a group of ladies, walk up to him and loudly ask something like: "You fight rabid break-dancing transvestite capuchin monkeys?! Wow, man..."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

*LOL* Didn't work for me either.

*shrugs* I guess beauty really is only T-shirt deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone?

Just a thought for everyone: Next time you see a guy out and about with one of those "I FIGHT WHAT YOU FEAR" shirts on, especially if he's trying to impress a group of ladies, walk up to him and loudly ask something like: "You fight rabid break-dancing transvestite capuchin monkeys?! Wow, man..."
    Say that three times real fast..........

I hope this guy hasn't been run out of the forums yet.

Forum Member

Say that three times real fast..........

I hope this guy hasn't been run out of the forums yet.
    Who, sweet lil ol me? Why on earth would anyone ever want to run me off the forums?

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    Maybe it is just me but this is just something that I noticed with the first whacker shirt pictured above. "No one can force me, because I’m a volunteer"

I have also seen this in the form of "No one can FORCE me to run into a burning building because I’m a volunteer.” To me this translates to, “no, I’m a volunteer, you can’t make me go in there.” Then why be there in the first place? There is your definition of a T-shirt firefighter, they are only there to wear the shirt and ride the big red truck so they look “cool” and pick up chicks. As a volunteer, you are trained and expected to perform a job. The expectation of a volunteer should be no different than that of a career firefighter, minus the paycheck. The fires are just as hot and just as dangerous; if you don’t want to go in a structure then you do not need to ride the fire truck. This is not a pick and choose game, If you are on a fire apparatus, then you are expected to perform any job presented to you. Do you think the 343 FDNY men and women wanted to go into the WTC that horrific day? No, but they did it because they have a job to do, an obligation to the citizens to save lives and protect property. The fact that a paycheck is not involved should not make a difference. We are all there for the citizens, and trust me, they don’t care what the side of the truck says, all they know is that help has arrived.

Now I do not think that is really what this shirt is intended to represent, hopefully just written in the wrong context. To fully express the point that this shirt is trying to get across, it should read, “No one can FORCE me to run into a burning building because my job depends on it, I CHOOSE to because it is in my heart”

I still wouldn’t wear it….
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    Maybe it is just me but this is just something that I noticed with the first whacker shirt pictured above. "No one can force me, because I’m a volunteer"
    I have also seen this in the form of "No one can FORCE me to run into a burning building because I’m a volunteer.” To me this translates to, “no, I’m a volunteer, you can’t make me go in there.” Now I do not think that is really what this shirt is intended to represent, hopefully just written in the wrong context. To fully express the point that this shirt is trying to get across, it should read, “No one can FORCE me to run into a burning building because my job depends on it, I CHOOSE to because it is in my heart”
    I still wouldn’t wear it….
    What the shirt means is that they CHOOSE to run into burning buildings,not that they have to be driven in with a cattle prod to do the interior.Not every vollie department stands around watching their neighbor's house burn.
    I don't have to wear the whacker shirts that I have.I've got more shirts that don't say anything on them anyway and only rarely wear my old department shirts.Maybe if I go back,they'll come up in the rotation more often but till then it won't bother me what others wear to work or around town.

Forum Member

Default Jolly Volly

You know you are responding to an emergency ----- many times a tragedy -- I just woner if the people affected find it so SWEET. Before you reply --- give it some open honest thought.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    You know you are responding to an emergency ----- many times a tragedy -- I just woner if the people affected find it so SWEET. Before you reply --- give it some open honest thought.
    "Open honest thought" has already occurred on about 4 other threads on these forums...and that's just in the past few days.

Let me summarize the general consensus for ya:
    **** will happen whether you're there or not. The fires will burn, the cars will crash, people will have medical problems... this will happen regardless of whether you're there to help or not. Ergo, a good medical aid, a good crash, or a good "job", especially if you're able to positively impact the outcome, IS "sweet".

Does that adequately explain things? Can we now go back to bashing on "T-shirt Firefighters" in peace??? Save the arguments and remonstrations for the threads that're meant for it, K?

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Do they find it sweet? - No.
    Do we find it sweet? - usually.

When there is a casualty, I'm quite sure that no FF would come back saying 'that was SWEET' - anyone who would, should quit because they are twisted and will cause all FF's to lose the respect of the public.

Ever heard the term black humor? And I'm not talking about racist jokes for those who've never heard the term. While I was standing at the end of the my driveway watching my house, garage, boat, truck etc. burn, one of the firefighters, whom I've known for quite some time, came up and patted me on the back - 'Sorry Gordie, but on the up side we did save the woodpile out back and the boat motor survived!'
    Didn't seem 'sweet' at the time but I can look back now and laugh that he wasn't afraid to poke a little joke to remind me that it was all just things. I just wish that my bunker gear wasn't burning in the back seat of the truck, it was freakin cold and I wanted to get closer to the heat!

And if you've experienced a fire and can't appreciate that firefighters think this job is sweet, you're on the wrong forum.
    Cheers
    Gord

Thread Information