Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Generac Generators

Not sure if I am putting this in the right place but here goes. I am looking to purchase a Stand-by generator and transfer switch for a new station. The only thing that is under state contract right now is Generac brand. Does anybody have any experience with this brand? It will be 200KW 120/208 3 Phase 4 Wire. Any comments good or bad will be appreciated.

Mark

Forum Member

Never had their systems before but I did a quick search and I am not totally impressed. We have used Onan for a long time with exceptioanl service. I prfer a system that can be supported by a local company. In the case of the Onan they are serviced by Cummins. I beleive that Detroit also has their own systems. Do some serious checking before spending the bucks for a problem you may not want. Don't forget that elctrical contractors will probably play a role in this process before it is over.

Forum Member

I would also recommend getting the local power company invovled. Their may be some specs that they require.
    We did this in 2000 when we added our generator. They did a load study and recommended what size generator to go with,

The telco I work for uses Generac.
    The 1 at my main office has ran without any trouble since installed in 1989.

Every Wendsday morning set to startup and transfer load/cycle for load test.

4cyl mitsubishi running on natural gas.
    We have several other engine and fuel setups.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench View Post
    Never had their systems before but I did a quick search and I am not totally impressed.

What were you not impressed about?

The contractors have already done there part. I just have to get them a generator but am running out of time. Tried to go out on bids but one was way over budget and the other wasn't going to do half the stuff that was required in the bids.

Things are a bit tough down here post Katrina. Especially generators.

My only recourse now is to go with State contract and that is all that is offered is Generac.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bjlffire View Post
    The telco I work for uses Generac.
    The 1 at my main office has ran without any trouble since installed in 1989.

Every Wendsday morning set to startup and transfer load/cycle for load test.

4cyl mitsubishi running on natural gas.
    We have several other engine and fuel setups.
    The one I am getting will be diesel. The engine seems to be of their own design and also the transfer switch. That is what I am worried about. I can't find anything on the web in reference to there larger generators however I have found some reviews on there smaller ones which 99% were very good.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Generac Generators.....excellent. Second only to Kohler.

HOLY HELL!!! I'm an actual member

I have purchased over 100 Generacs from a major
    telco - 36 and 45 KW mainly, although a few larger,
    and mostly propane.

1 problem out of all those used ones, and that required
    a new exercise board.

Pretty good track record for me.

We have a 45 kw, natural gas powered, Generac generator. It is about 4 years old and has given us excellent service.

The only problem was the 12 volt battery failed during an automatic weekly test run. The elcheapo battery was replaced with a high quality one. The Preventative Maintenance program now includes disconnecting the battery, cleaning the connections, checking electrolyte level, checking voltage with and without load, and a scheduled replacement cycle for the battery.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 4 of these, at our stations.... no problems as of yet work every time

http://generac.com/industrial/produc...ndby_power.asp

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I will be on the phone with the state contract bid winner Tuesday.

Everyone Have a Safe and Happy New Year.

Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SwampBox View Post
    Not sure if I am putting this in the right place but here goes. I am looking to purchase a Stand-by generator and transfer switch for a new station. The only thing that is under state contract right now is Generac brand. Does anybody have any experience with this brand? It will be 200KW 120/208 3 Phase 4 Wire. Any comments good or bad will be appreciated.

Mark
    We have one on our 1994 Pierce Saber 8kw deisel generator it has worked pretty much flawlessly since we have had it. We did have a problem with the main computer on it and it wouldnt shut off, but we were able to get it fixed at a local dealer with in a day. We have also had Onans we didnt really see any difference in them other than one was green and the generac we have is tan in color..lol

MembersZone Subscriber tomlaumann's Avatar

Default Generac

There were two different Generac compaines until Briggs & Stratton bought the Generac porable products unit in 2001. The Generac company split some years ago into Generac power prodcuts and Generac portable products. The split was at the 7.5kw generator power level, also including pressure washers. Both companies have facilites in Southeast Wisconsin. Generac has a good reputation for quality abd a a good citizen in the comunitiy. Generac power produtcs donated the back-up generator for our new fire house when it was built in 2005.

Forum Member

Default Generac

As a generator tech my problem with generac is this. Very poor help from the factory. If you are not a dealer for them they will not help you if you have a problem. I was at a nursing home with one that had problems. Called them and told them storms where coming in. Unit was down and home had no backup power. They ask if I was a dealer,told them no and they hung up on me. Overpriced parts and manuals that are not to clear to read. All of this is a shame because they do have some very good units. I take care of some that have nevr had problems mostly small kw units. Some of the large units do have alot of problems. If you have a good local service tech use him and forget about factory help. Of course all OEMs have some problems but it all depends on how they take care of the coustomer.

I have had the exact opposite issues dealing with the factory. No issues.

Default We Got a Generac Generator #0045822

My name is Captain Robert Dibart, President of the Camden County Fire Police Association in Camden County, NJ. On March 17, 2008 we purchased a 15 kw generator. On June 8, 2008 the generator blew up, the unit had approx 45 hours on the unit. It has been at an authorized Generac Generator Service Center for more than 2 weeks and generac is giving us a hard time about the warranty service. So Buyer Beware if you have a problem with the generac unit and you think it is under warranty you may find out that it is not because they do not stand behind their equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber evfd3100's Avatar

We have had a natural gas powered Generac 15kw at one of our stations for a few years now with no problems. I was pretty surprised at how quiet it is under load. Very impressed with Generac products over the years. We do have an Onan on our heavy rescue and pumper/tanker, and those seem to be good units also. Never had a problem with Generac or Onan I guess.....
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

MembersZone Subscriber

If FEMA gives us the thumbs up I've already speced up a 60kw Genreac 240/3
    with natural gas
    Plenty of power to run the roof top unit, compressor, siren and lighting.

Default Generac Switching Problem causing a fire hazard

My wife Wendy and I are supporters of the local volunteer fire department in Thompson, Ohio. We installed a Generac system to our home. Living in rural Ohio, power is sometime "if'y" like most rural areas. On two specific ocassions line power was returned less than 90 Volts which cause the gen/line switch to vibrate, leading to destruction of the switch. The installer, a member of the local fire department, informed me that others have experienced this situation. Including one which cause a complete burnout, almost resulting in a fire. In checking with a local supplier of parts, he noted that this is a "known problem" which Generac seems not to care about. Each time this failure ocurred, it cost us over $400.00 in parts and labor. My fear is, since we travel extensively, what will happen should we not be home to catch this "chattering switch" in time for it not to cause a fire. I thought we were purchasing power protection. Now, we are reduced to manually switching back to line when the unit kicks in. This is a clear danger. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon???

Thanks..............

Thread Information