MembersZone Subscriber

Default Denison TX LODD - Phillip Townsend

This morning, a Denison firefighter lost his life while trying to protect others.
    The firefighter was killed while fighting a fire at Wilbanks Air Conditioning and Appliance store.

Witnesses say the fire had flames that shot over one hundred feet into the sky. Officials say the entire building was quickly engulfed in flames, and Denison firefighter Phillip Townsend was killed.

The Denison Fire Department got the call around 8:45 Saturday morning and were on the scene within minutes. Townsend became trapped underneath an awning while trying to put out the flames. Although his fellow firefighters were able to rescue him from underneath the rubble, Townsend did not survive.

Denison Fire Chief, Gordon Weger was also injured during the fire as he too was trapped underneath the awning.

KTEN spoke with Chief Weger about Phillip Townsend, this afternoon.

"He enjoyed his job, he was proud to be a firefighter. Always had a smile on his face. Any task you asked him to do, no question..he did it. He's gonna be surely missed. The family, our hearts go out to them. We're certainly going to try to work with them and try to help them over this also.

Both Sherman and Pottosboro Fire Departments were called in to assist in the blaze, along with some off duty Denison firefighters. Chief Weger told me that despite the loss, his firefighters are keeping their morale high but says most are still in a state of shock.

Phillip Townsend was 31 years old and had three young children. His dad is currently a firefighter with the Denison Fire Department. Officials are still uncertain what started the fire.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Default Phillip Townsend Memorial Page

My condolences to the Townsend family and the Denison Fire Department of Denison, Texas. FireFighter Phillip Townsend, 31, a volunteer with the Denison Fire Department for just over a year, died Saturday December 30, 2006. Phillip was operating at a strip mall structure fire when the awning of Wilbanks Air Conditioning and Appliance store collapsed on Denison Fire Chief Gordan Weger and Phillip. After being rescued from the collapse, both firefighters were transported to Texoma Medical Center in Denison. Phillip died shortly after while Chief Weger was treated and released. I have created a permanent memorial for Phillip Townsend on my website. More news, information, and photos can be found at:

http://www.firefightinglinks.com/ptownsend.html

If there is any additional information or photos you would like added to this memorial, please contact me.

Thanks to Big Brutus for correcting Phillip's status as a paid firefighter and posting arrangements. I have made the correction and added the arrangements to Phillip's memorial page.

Shawn McDonald
    [firefightinglinks@snet.net]
    Last edited by shawnmcdonald; 01-01-2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Update

Forum Member

Default Correction

One correction on your article, Firefighter Townsend was a paid firefighter for the City of Denison and not a volunteer. He had been employed for 1 year and 1 month with the department.

Forum Member

Default Services for FF Phillip Townsend

I am a member of the Sherman Tx. Fire Department Honor Guard. We are participating in the ceremonies for our fallen brother. Here is a schedule of the ceremonies.

Monday Jan. 1, 2007 - Wake is scheduled for 1900 hrs - 2100 hrs. There is a firefighter walk through to be held at 1930 hrs. Location of wake is Fisher Funeral Home in Denison,Tx.

Tuesday Jan. 2, 2007 - Funeral at 1300 hrs to be held at Truth Tabernacle in Denison Tx.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

My sincere condolences to the Denison Fire Department and the Townsend family for their sad loss.

Sleep with angels, Phillip. We will never forget your sacrifice.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information