Forum Member

Default Best Methods for "Taking 'Up"

We have all trained and talked about the best methods for stretching lines. How about the best methods for taking up the line once operations are complete.

On vertical stretches is it best to walk out and down the line charged? Or, do you bleed it first in place and then drag it out?

How about methods for sub-freezing weather breakdown?

Any tricks for LDH take 'up?

Any ideas that will help us work smarter rather than harder.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BScott View Post
    Yeah, get some of those lazy-*** truckmen to help.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Yeah, get some of those lazy-*** truckmen to help.

You mean the ones that cut the roof to watch the REAL firefighters working inside?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Not another eng vs truck argument. Sheesh you two keep it in your pants for once.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by res1cueffd View Post
    Not another eng vs truck argument. Sheesh you two keep it in your pants for once.
    Oh great! Turn it into a "Pants vs. 3/4's" fight too, why don't you?!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

You kids sit down and shut up back there, or well turn this thread around right now!

As for the question:

1. Normal handlines and 2 1/2 are broken in 100 foot sections and the water drained by walking them out.

2. In freezing weather, the unused but charged lines are left to flow a small amount to prevent freeze-up.

3. LDH is picked up by a rolling take-up. We center the emtpy hose in the road (or off to one side or the other), and drive along picking it up and packing as we go.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BScott View Post
    We have all trained and talked about the best methods for stretching lines. How about the best methods for taking up the line once operations are complete.

On vertical stretches is it best to walk out and down the line charged? Or, do you bleed it first in place and then drag it out?

How about methods for sub-freezing weather breakdown?

Any tricks for LDH take 'up?

1. I like to bleed it then take it out, but it just depends on if you have a lot of hose inside or not. If you don't have a lot of hose in it doesn't hurt to drag it out it all depends how motivated you are.

2. In freezing weather it really doesn't matter what you do. We run rubber hose and usually spray it off and load it right back on the truck but if its freezing out we have to take it back to the station.

3. LDH we have a handy Roll-N-Rack it works well except it doesn't roll up the hose, it does a good job draining the hose and is good for loading the hose back on the truck. Usually we straddle the hose and load it back on the truck if it is'nt to dirty or what not.

4. Get yourself a white helmet then you won't have to worry about this.(just kidding)

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Taking Up

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    1. I like to bleed it then take it out, but it just depends on if you have a lot of hose inside or not. If you don't have a lot of hose in it doesn't hurt to drag it out it all depends how motivated you are.

2. In freezing weather it really doesn't matter what you do. We run rubber hose and usually spray it off and load it right back on the truck but if its freezing out we have to take it back to the station.

3. LDH we have a handy Roll-N-Rack it works well except it doesn't roll up the hose, it does a good job draining the hose and is good for loading the hose back on the truck. Usually we straddle the hose and load it back on the truck if it is'nt to dirty or what not.

4. Get yourself a white helmet then you won't have to worry about this.(just kidding)
    Ten thousand comedians out of work. Don't quit your DAY job, get it.

Forum Member

Default best way of takeing up

get into a squad or rescue company.when the fires out and your released just take up no racking hose 10 -8 and available for the next one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HEYVERN View Post
    I don't know, maybe you should explain it to me!( just kidding) I'll take your advice as I like my job. Whats your method of taking up hose?? You forgot to mention anything about the original post. Just remember, to do as the Chief or as in your case the Asst. Chief says.Get it?(inside joke)Take care!
    Last edited by dday05; 01-01-2007 at 05:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I don't know, maybe you should explain it to me!( just kidding) I'll take your advice as I like my job. Whats your method of taking up hose?? You forgot to mention anything about the original post. Just remember, to do as the Chief or as in your case the Asst. Chief says.Get it?(inside joke)Take care!
    I prefer the first three methods you described in your post. Although the fourth method sounds good too but I'm from the old school, Lead by example.

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer the first three methods you described in your post. Although the fourth method sounds good too but I'm from the old school, Lead by example.
    What do you think I do??

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

What do you think I do??
    Not implying anything, relax.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not implying anything, relax.

I'll remember that.Take care. Is it cold where you're at yet?

Forum Member

This IS his day job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    As for the question:

1. Normal handlines and 2 1/2 are broken in 100 foot sections and the water drained by walking them out.

2. In freezing weather, the unused but charged lines are left to flow a small amount to prevent freeze-up.

3. LDH is picked up by a rolling take-up. We center the emtpy hose in the road (or off to one side or the other), and drive along picking it up and packing as we go.

That is how my old volunteer department did it as well.We'd reload the handlines in the Minuteman set up which worked best for us.
    In freezing weather,we'd only charge lines as they were being advanced but before entering the structure/fire zone.
    We usually backed up to reload the LDH since most of the time,the run in to the structure was too confined for a turn around.Every now and then we'd get tapped out to a truck driver's home and there'd be room in the yard there but not always.
    If there was room to turn around,driving forward over the hose saved a lot of heartburn on the driver's part.The radio stayed a lot cleaner and there wasn't as much"NO!Goddlemighty,son!MY LEFT!".
    Back at the station,cleaning and replacing hoses,medical gear,refilling the rehab cooler,etc was an all hands evolution.Officers and the Chief and Assistant Chief all pitched in.If someone had to leave to return to work,we didn't hold it against them as next time,it could be us leaving them shorter handed.

MembersZone Subscriber

For LDH on sloping terrain, break the hose at both ends of the lay. Fold the uphill coupling back on the hose to seal that end. Gravity drains the water at the downhill end and forms a vacuum that pulls the hose as flat as if it had been ironed. Reload uphill to downhill so the last bit of water flows out without having to break the vacuum.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

or you could tone out 4 times and not get anyone to go and then call the neighboring dept. and let them deal with all the hose!!! heard that happen before as I am sure you have! why they don't call sooner is beyond me.

Hand lines are drained and rolled and taken back to the station and washed then put back on the truck. We have a newer type of nylon I believe it is, not sure what it is called, but you can put it back on the truck wet and it won't mold or mildew.

As for LDH hose we drain it and if we can we will put it off the side of the drive and back down the drive to reload it so we are not backing in the driveway with guys behind the truck. If it's really dirty we will just donut roll it and throw it in the back of someones truck and take it back to the station and wash it, reroll it, and load it. ( I kind of like this method better as it makes sure all the water and air is out of the hose, but does take a little more time)

MembersZone Subscriber

we re-load the attack lines in whatever load they were in(some houses use different loads then others, we use a CA minuteman at ST.18 while most others use a regular minuteman) and the LDH we roll on the ground then use a handle from a tool and put it threw the middle and have 2 FF's hold the roll while 2 more load in back in the bed(this way we are back in service before we leave the incident) any broken hoses gets rolled O/S and thrown on top of the bedded hose.

Forum Member

Wake up and take up, thats the best way!

Forum Member

I always prefered those change of shift jobs where the oncomming platoon got no work but has to take up.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Thread Information