Forum Member

Question Decisions Decisions..

This post is pretty lengthy.. sorry!

I have a question about my work history etc...
    I'm currently 20 years old and I'll be finishing up my associates this summer. I am really looking forward to getting my career started in the fire service, however, my employment history doesn't look too great. In high school I had about 7 different jobs, just switching because I didnt really care. I got my security job (part time) that I have now in January of 05 and have been working there ever since. I tried 2 diff times to get a job to add on to that for extra cash but they didnt work out (supervisor lied about pay and the other job wouldnt fit with my schedule).
    I'm thinking this is going to screw my chances of getting hired right now, especially since it's allready so hard to get on as a FF/EMT. So, I'm thinking about getting my EMT-B this summer and volunteering until I get my bachelors in 2 1/2 years. This way I will have 2 1/2 years volunteer experience and I will have held my security job for 4 1/2 years. I'm worried if I get turned down the next FD will ask why etc etc.. and it will just go down hill. I really would like to wait until I'm fully qualified and don't have any problem getting on.
    On a side note... I'm also married and it's quite possible we could have a kid, thus I would need a FT job that offers benefits.
    I'm also trying to get some volunteer exp with the city... something to show my commitment to the community and help.
    Am I looking too far into this?
    Should I just keep my job do academy now and try to get hired or keep my job/volunteer/ and finish my degree?

Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim
    Last edited by Pancho; 01-01-2007 at 01:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tim,
    Control what you can control. Think twice before leaving your current job. While you were in high school your work history may not have been great, you cannot change that. You can change the future.

Now that you understand the process (background) think twice before taking an action. Continue to work hard and you will be rewarded.

Forum Member

Tim,

I am in the same boat as you. I held a lot of different jobs through high school and after and what I am is just honest about it, I tell them hey I was immature and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life yet. I've been in the fire service, volunteering, going to school, working out, studying everything about the fire service and it's paying off. All my interviews are going well so just admit you made some rough choices along the way and you'll be alright

Forum Member

So you guys think I should go ahead and do fire academy and just apply? I was thinking about doing fire academy this spring or next fall. Perhaps I should finish my associates then get my fire academy done next fall and apply?
    I really think that it'd be smart to finish my associates, get my EMT-B and then just volunteer until I get my bachelors and then apply. That would get me better work exp and volunteer experience. And I'd only be 22-23 by the time I start looking for fulltime. However, if I can get my career going now I dont see why not.
    Thanks for the info and stay safe,
    Tim
    Last edited by Pancho; 01-01-2007 at 07:16 PM.

Forum Member

Tim... it's up to you really, but I'd go ahead and finish your associate's degree and then get into the fire academy and volunteer so maybe in the spring like you mentioned. Is it an associate's in fire science?

Forum Member

No, I'll be getting my associates in arts that way I can pursue my bachelors easier. If I go this route I could do fire academy this fall and have my associats in arts with ff1/2 and emt-b then start applying. It really would be nice to be able to start applying by Jan of 08 with my certs and degree, that would also put me at 3 years wirh my current job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tim,
    Either way would be fine. ACFire makes a good point about since he decided he wanted to become a firefighter you can see the change in his direction.

You can make a strong case for goint to the academy or going to school. One thought; completing the academy makes you a more valuable volunteer and if you do get hired you will have a better chance of completing the academy.

Good luck with your decision! You can't go wrong either way.

Forum Member

Tim, thats fine too. I would go ahead and get your own certs first if you can. You'll have some experience in classes and see if you like it. Worst thing I did was not take my EMT before applying, now I am in EMT Intermediate and am having a hard time balancing my test dates and my classes.

Forum Member

Yea that's very true Lepore. Really since I've gotten my security job I've realized the need to keep a job and since I decided to become a fire fighter my desire to be responsbile has more than doubled. I think I will finish my associates this summer along with EMT-B and then pursue fire academy in the fall. Then perhaps I could volunteer until I land a job while I pursue my bachelors or a medic cert, not sure which yet. I do think medic would be cheaper since it's offered at the local community college and my next step after this year is going to the university... =/
    Thanks for the responses guys and if anyone else has anything to add feel free. I really appreciate the input!
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim

Thread Information