Forum Member

Default W.P.F.G. Vancouver/ Burnaby,B.C. 2009

I'm curious about how many firefighters are thinking about attending the games in 2009? If you"ve never visited beautiful british columbia, this would be a great opportunity to. And remember theres something for everybody to compete in, even old farts like me. Personally, I'm training for the gold metal in the grueling sport of...fresh water fishing! Hope to see you here!

Yours In Solidarity,
    A/Captain James B. Kirk (Yeah,It's my real name).

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I'm planning on attending ... as a spectator, of course! hehehe
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I'll be heading "home" for a final posting .... whether is back to BEAUTIFUL BC or some (YUK) Eastern part of the country I dont know yet. With a bit of luck and some prayer, I'll be back in Vic by Mid August 09. If it all works out, I'll be there, but as Sher says, likely a spectator.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I'll be there as well but as an World Class athlete. I'm planning to go into the Salt Water Fishing event. If time permits and they have a Masters division, I may go into sevens(Flying Kiwi will likely understand).

If anybody has the opportunity, I highly recommend attending, the WPFG is a GREAT party and the Lower Mainland will put on a GREAT show(as will the Aussies this year)

Forum Member

Thats cohonnas bro! Those tide changes can spill your beer! If my body permits after my day of trout fishing, I'm seriously considering a try at darts.My friends tell me I'm crazy as they dont have a masters division.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    Thats cohonnas bro! Those tide changes can spill your beer! If my body permits after my day of trout fishing, I'm seriously considering a try at darts.My friends tell me I'm crazy as they dont have a masters division.
    If they were going to go for Sturgeon, I'd do the Fresh Water thing as well. I however am going to stick with the Salmon and leave the trout alone so you B.C. guys can win something. You guys will never be able to live down an Albertan showing you how to catch salmon.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

The only way I see it,for you to finish on the podium,is if you visit the vancouver aquarium, late the night before. We definately have to get together after the derby for a few tins. I can show you what the metals look like as well.

Forum Member

Sounds good and after that I'll show you what the MEDALS look like. (Sorry couldn't resist, I'm really not one of the spelling nazi's)

Sounds like we should sit down to a couple of cold ones prior to the competition to arrange wagers.

Darts isn't all that dangerous, unless your the goalie.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Here's an older thread with some more responses about who's planning on coming for the Games. Sort of. Good for a laugh, anyway!

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=48379
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 01-03-2007 at 04:43 PM.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

HA HA HA only if you decide to head out on the boat towards Seymour Narrows. Thats about the only time/place I really worry about tide changes in smaller boats. LOL Them dang whorl pools are something else to see! And the fishing around them parts is pertty good too.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

I guess it's an assumption that there will be a Salt Water event. If there is, I'll be interested to see how the boundaries are set and enforced. I could be wrong but aren't you in American waters if you go past Pt. Roberts. If allowed we would have an International event.

I better get an American licence just in case I hook onto a monster that drags my boat over to the American side. Don't want to get arrested with the winner.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

good idea,get a american fishing licence. I wasn't going to let you in on my secret fishing hole, but you seem like a great guy, so you may consider trolling along the Alaska coast. Also, how come you were all over me for spelling medal incorrect, yet the bro from Malahat likes fishing in "whorl" pools

Forum Member

Whorl pools, I thought that must be B.C. slang for the bars around there.

My boat won't quite make it to Alaska, I can't carry enough beer to go that far. I may be able to make it from Tsawwassen(where I keep my boat) to Point Roberts with one or two beer coolers. As long as it's not too hot a day.

Forum Member

you really are a funny guy. I"m putting you on my buddy list. how ironic you mentioned before 7-aside rugby. The last time I competed in the games was 1989 (vancouver) in rugby. we put together a squad from all over the map, and named our team the Gypsy 7's. We got thumped pretty good by the lads from Ireland, however earned a 5th place medal. How I'd love to lace em' up again, but playing with an O2 unit strapped to my back, may not be allowed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by manofire2 View Post
    Whorl pools, I thought that must be B.C. slang for the bars around there.
    Smart Guy!

Nope. Take a gander up around Campbell River area, and the Seymour Narrows. Every tide change the rip that runs through makes whirl pools that can make life for small water craft... ummm.. interesting.

Check this out:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/bul.../1981/02_e.htm

(exerpt from website)

Subject: WARNING TO OPERATORS OF SMALL VESSELS NAVIGATING SEYMOUR NARROWS, B.C.
    Bulletin No.: 02/1981
    Date (Y-M-D): 1981-12-31

Seymour Narrows, Discovery Passage, B.C., is known to be a dangerous area for small vessels to navigate on account of strong tidal streams (which may attain velocities of 15 knots), whirlpools and eddies.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-04-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Forum Member

you really are a funny guy. I"m putting you on my buddy list. how ironic you mentioned before 7-aside rugby. The last time I competed in the games was 1989 (vancouver) in rugby. we put together a squad from all over the map, and named our team the Gypsy 7's. We got thumped pretty good by the lads from Ireland, however earned a 5th place medal. How I'd love to lace em' up again, but playing with an O2 unit strapped to my back, may not be allowed.
    Ah but your O2 unit wouldn't stop you from coaching or managing. I'm sure you could probably locate 7 or 8 guys from the Lower Mainland who have played rugby before, I hear they play the game there. I haven't played for a few years, but have played at Brockton Oval a few times during my career. Have you heard how the pitch there has held up. We get reports of the devastation at Stanley Park but nothing about the Oval.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I heard the rugby pitch got hit hard, one goalpost was completely destroyed and fortunately the other post was only grazed. not sure about the stands,speaking of, my old club,ubc old boys,salvaged the charred timbers from the original stands that burnt down, and used them to build the bar at our clubhouse at jericho. true story.

Forum Member

You never know, we may have banged heads on the pitch, I have played against the UBC Old Boys on a couple of occasions. Definately once at the Abbotsford Gobbler Fest tournament and I believe we played the Old Boys a couple of times at the Edmonton Rugby Fest.

Forum Member

*groan*

Way to go polecat, you got manofire talking about rugby, now we'll never get him to shut up!

hehehehehehehe

*runs from the room before she gets a slap all the way from Calgary!*

That'd be pretty funny if you did play against each other in years past. What a small world we live in.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

One other thing polecat, I don't know how far back you go but a former teammate of mine came to us from the Old Boys. I don't like to put peoples names in public threads but if you did play with him you would know because he was the scrum half and Captain for the Canadian National Team. Just a shot in the dark.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I joined the ol' boys in 76' as a 17 year old junior, so I know all the original players. At one time or another we had a least 25 players playing for canada, I best keep from getting side tracked. p.s. thanks to everyone who have posted or viewed this post- my first ever. I better go now,as my wife just gave me that look,you know the one when they roll their eyes,although I can't blame her,with me spending so much time on-line.

Forum Member

Hey polecat need a fishing partner for the fresh water fishing? I'll supply the boat. You bring the beer.

As far as Seymour Narrows goes Malahat is right. Stay away ! I been through a few rip tides there in bigger boats it was one hell of a ride, wouldn't want to do it in a small boat.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Forum Member

Yo dog, appreciate the offer and may very well take you up on it. Can you tell me whether your boat needs to be blown up, and does it have drink holders?

Forum Member

There's no doubt the UBC Old Boys are a major force in Rugby up here, Cat. My old body might not be up to the sevens, I did some simple math and I will be 56 then so I may be a couple of years past my prime. Touch rugby just doesn't do alot for me. Full contact fishing however does.

After the weigh in we should all get together for a fish BBQ so we can enjoy the fruits of our labours. We could actually create another event with medals for culinary superiority. For a flatlander(how they came up with that term for a guy who grew up in the mountains, I'll never know) I BBQ a mean salmon.

Bring some wine and none of the sissy white stuff. Wine and firetrucks should only come in one colour and that's red.

Just kidding, I'll drink white wine, just prefer the red stuff. Beer can be any colour you want to bring. Rum though should always be black!

Forum Member

Polecat
    To answer your questions; No it does not require inflating ( unlike most of the guys from Surrey's girlfriends ). Of course it has drink holders!

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Thread Information